Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulation moisture??

Hi all -

I recently insulated my attic. To do that, I removed the plywood
floors that were nailed to the floor beams. I then installed R-38
faced on the attic floor but not the rafters. I am now noticing that
after replacing the plywood (on top of the insulation), may places are
showing damp spots and are moist to the touch...what can I do to stop
this other than perm. removing the floorboards?

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 6:47�pm, Rich wrote:
Hi all -

I recently insulated my attic. �To do that, I removed the plywood
floors that were nailed to the floor beams. �I then installed R-38
faced on the attic floor but not the rafters. �I am now noticing that
after replacing the plywood (on top of the insulation), may places are
showing damp spots and are moist to the touch...what can I do to stop
this other than perm. removing the floorboards?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

you need better attic ventilation, think ridge vent, or power vents
controlled by humidstat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 8:39 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Where are the damp spots? On the ceiling below, on the top of the
floor, around vents on the roof???? You installed the insulation correctly,
but there may be air leaks below it.

I pictured condensation dripping from the now colder roof onto the
plywood floor. Perhaps the OP could clarify.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 7:10 pm, cavedweller wrote:
On Feb 29, 8:39 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote: Where are the damp spots? On the ceiling below, on the top of the
floor, around vents on the roof???? You installed the insulation correctly,
but there may be air leaks below it.

I pictured condensation dripping from the now colder roof onto the
plywood floor. Perhaps the OP could clarify.

I'm picturing moisture going through the ceiling drywall or holes in
the drywall for lights, etc., through the insulation, and into the
wood.

If the house is in a relatively cool/cold climate, there should be a
vapor barrier on the WARM side of the insulation, to prevent just this
sort of thing. Assuming, of course, that what I am picturing is
closely related to the truth....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the responses.

The moisture is on the floorboards, and it doesn't appear to be coming
from the celing at all. I walk up to the attic to find spots on the
floor that are wet on the plywood foor. The only curious thing is it
only happens on the side of the attic where our window is...which led
me to believe it's a venting issue...the window leaks like crazy.

On Feb 29, 9:31*pm, wrote:
On Feb 29, 7:10 pm, cavedweller wrote:

On Feb 29, 8:39 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote: * * Where are the damp spots? *On the ceiling below, on the top of the
floor, around vents on the roof???? *You installed the insulation correctly,
but there may be air leaks below it.

I pictured condensation dripping from the now colder roof onto the
plywood floor. *Perhaps the OP could clarify.

I'm picturing moisture going through the ceiling drywall or holes in
the drywall for lights, etc., through the insulation, and into the
wood.

If the house is in a relatively cool/cold climate, there should be a
vapor barrier on the WARM side of the insulation, to prevent just this
sort of thing. *Assuming, of course, that what I am picturing is
closely related to the truth....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 8:18 am, Rich wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

The moisture is on the floorboards, and it doesn't appear to be coming
from the celing at all. I walk up to the attic to find spots on the
floor that are wet on the plywood foor. The only curious thing is it
only happens on the side of the attic where our window is...which led
me to believe it's a venting issue...the window leaks like crazy.

Do you mean the ceiling below, or the ceiling above?
I'd still be looking up at condensation points on the inside of the
roof....nail points maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 5:47*pm, Rich wrote:
Hi all -

I recently insulated my attic. *To do that, I removed the plywood
floors that were nailed to the floor beams. *I then installed R-38
faced on the attic floor but not the rafters. *I am now noticing that
after replacing the plywood (on top of the insulation), may places are
showing damp spots and are moist to the touch...what can I do to stop
this other than perm. removing the floorboards?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Depending on what is wet you need a proper vapor barrier or better
attic venting, probably both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 11:06*am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 29, 5:47*pm, Rich wrote:

Hi all -

I recently insulated my attic. *To do that, I removed the plywood
floors that were nailed to the floor beams. *I then installed R-38
faced on the attic floor but not the rafters. *I am now noticing that
after replacing the plywood (on top of the insulation), may places are
showing damp spots and are moist to the touch...what can I do to stop
this other than perm. removing the floorboards?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Depending on what is wet you need a proper vapor barrier or better
attic venting, probably both.

Agree. And from the description, I'm not sure where, if any, the
vapor barrier is. The statement "I then installed R38 faced on the
attic floor....", leads me to wonder if the insulation has a vapor
barrier and it was installed against the attic floor, instead of the
ceiling below. There should be one vapor barrier, at the ceiling
surface in the attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry I was too vague - the r38 insulation is on the attic floor,
which is the celing of the 1st floor (ranch-style)...the vapor barrier
is between the attic "floor" and the 1st floor "celing." Does that
help? Thanks.