Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion Sensing Light Experiences & Recommendations.

I recently installed a $20 motion sensing flood light that advertised
a 70 foot sensitivity range. It turned out to be more like 20 feet
(at best). I'm beginning to suspect that you take the advertised
range, multiply it by the price and divide by 100 to get the actual
range.

If anyone has good experiences with motion sensing flood lights, how
much did they cost and what brand were they?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
I recently installed a $20 motion sensing flood light that advertised
a 70 foot sensitivity range. It turned out to be more like 20 feet
(at best). I'm beginning to suspect that you take the advertised
range, multiply it by the price and divide by 100 to get the actual
range.

If anyone has good experiences with motion sensing flood lights, how
much did they cost and what brand were they?

Thanks.

Do you want it to go on when people just walk by the house, but are still on
the public sidewalk or in the street? If yes, otherwise innocent people out
for a nice walk at night will want to cause you bodily harm.

And, don't aim the damned light so it blinds people in the street. The
person you blind may be a cop who arrives to help you one night.

Sorry I can't help with brand names & quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
I recently installed a $20 motion sensing flood light that advertised
a 70 foot sensitivity range. It turned out to be more like 20 feet
(at best). I'm beginning to suspect that you take the advertised
range, multiply it by the price and divide by 100 to get the actual
range.

If anyone has good experiences with motion sensing flood lights, how
much did they cost and what brand were they?

Thanks.

Many such sensors have an adjustment. Does yours have one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:51*am, Ken wrote:
mike wrote:
I recently installed a $20 motion sensing flood light that advertised
a 70 foot sensitivity range. *It turned out to be more like 20 feet
(at best). *I'm beginning to suspect that you take the advertised
range, multiply it by the price and divide by 100 to get the actual
range. *

If anyone has good experiences with motion sensing flood lights, how
much did they cost and what brand were they?

Thanks.

* * * * Many such sensors have an adjustment. *Does yours have one?

Yup, I have it at maximum sensitivity. At minimum sensitivity, you
have to get within inches of the sensor. It's a pathetic joke.

To the other responder, I have plenty of area to cover with no danger
of blinding or annoying anyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message

I recently installed a $20 motion sensing flood light that advertised
a 70 foot sensitivity range. It turned out to be more like 20 feet
(at best). I'm beginning to suspect that you take the advertised
range, multiply it by the price and divide by 100 to get the actual
range.

If anyone has good experiences with motion sensing flood lights, how
much did they cost and what brand were they?

Thanks.

We have some Zenith motion sensor lights our electrician recommended and I
had no trouble getting them to turn on if someone walked past on the
sidewalk perhaps forty feet away, so I turned down the sensitivity so
someone has to actually come up the driveway a bit to turn them on. There
is a label on these units that reads DESA Specialty Products, perhaps that
is the actual mfg./importer. They've stood up well, we had them installed
so units on different sides of the house come on if any one unit is
activated, and we can manually turn them on from inside. We've used them
with regular floodlamps and CFL floodlamps, the CFLs seem to take a little
time to reach full brightness but if you're going to set the units to stay
on for 20 minutes when they're activated the CFLs certainly burn less
electricity. I like the fact that they light up the driveway and front of
the garage when we come home at night, makes it harder to trip over the damn
cat. They retail for twenty bucks.

We also put in an Intermatic digital timer for the porch light recently,
very slick unit which takes the place of one switch on a multi-switch panel.
It self-adjusts for daylight savings time and dusk based on the date. So if
we go away for the weekend or whatever the porch light comes on by itself
and turns off again in the morning, one less thing to worry about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 12:23*pm, mike wrote:
I recently installed a $20 motion sensing flood light that advertised
a 70 foot sensitivity range. *It turned out to be more like 20 feet
(at best). *I'm beginning to suspect that you take the advertised
range, multiply it by the price and divide by 100 to get the actual
range. *

If anyone has good experiences with motion sensing flood lights, how
much did they cost and what brand were they?

Thanks.

It might be defective, I have bought many and never had that issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Wait until summer. They tend to be less sensitive when cold. I do
have

They're -more- sensitive when it's cold outside. Greater difference between
body temp/engine temp & ambient air temp.

In the summer, when it's 90 outside, you can walk right up to it & it
probably won't see you until you're 5 feet away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
I recently installed a $20 motion sensing flood light that advertised
a 70 foot sensitivity range. It turned out to be more like 20 feet
(at best). I'm beginning to suspect that you take the advertised
range, multiply it by the price and divide by 100 to get the actual
range.

Could be the way you have them mounted. All motion sensors are almost
completely blind when it comes to motion headed directly toward the sensor.
However, it'll spot you in a New Yawk second if the motion is -across- it's
field of view.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

BTW if the temp is in the high 90s you can do the hokey pokey right in
front of one and they won't pop.

Mine work fine above 100 degrees. Maybe they don't like the hokey
pokey??????

cm in Arizona