Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new water heater

I have an old water heater (providing hot water on demand, not filling
a tank). This water heater is old and inefficient and needs replacing
as it has started leaking and finding the replacement part is
difficult.

Anyway I reckon it is time to get a new one, can anyone recommend a
good water heater, wall mounted, providing hot water on demand for 1
bath, 3 sinks and a washing machine.

Thanks,

Joesph
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 11:14�am, JosephB wrote:
I have an old water heater (providing hot water on demand, not filling
a tank). �This water heater is old and inefficient and needs replacing
as it has started leaking and finding the replacement part is
difficult.

Anyway I reckon it is time to get a new one, can anyone recommend a
good water heater, wall mounted, providing hot water on demand for 1
bath, 3 sinks and a washing machine.

Thanks,

Joesph

do you mind the delay bettween opening valve and getting hot water?
tankless must be sized to use and incoming water temperature.

in areas that get cold in winter incoiming water temperature dives,
causing troubles.

you could get a regular tank unit for perhaps 400 bucks.

tankless will be at least several times that, and you must get one
that has local service, new tankless are high tech and require
knowledgable techs. just like high efficency furnaces new tankless are
more complex and more likely to break
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 10:43Â*am, " wrote:
[...]

Hallerb, He said he has a tankless so quit trying to put them down, as
I am happy with my Bosch tanlkess also, I have no more time delay than
at another location where I have a tank, they turn on when water flows
and my Bosch 117000 Btu was $460.00 I do fine with a Bosch 117000 btu
for one shower, if you are satisfied with the output then match the
btu. Going up will require gas line size increase. If its for one
person 117000 btu is fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 27, 11:14?am, JosephB wrote:

do you mind the delay bettween opening valve and getting hot water?

There's a fix for that, you can put a sensor in the bathroom that detects
when someone enters the room and tells a circulating pump to fill the line
with hot water, so when you open the tap hot water comes out.

you could get a regular tank unit for perhaps 400 bucks.

And then pay to have it heat water all day every day including when nobody
is home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 12:26�pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 27, 11:14?am, JosephB wrote:

do you mind the delay bettween opening valve and getting hot water?

There's a fix for that, you can put a sensor in the bathroom that detects
when someone enters the room and tells a circulating pump to fill the line
with hot water, so when you open the tap hot water comes out.

you could get a regular tank unit for perhaps 400 bucks.

And then pay to have it heat water all day every day including when nobody
is home.

actually the stand by losses are tiny, and in the winter they help
heat your home

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

And then pay to have it heat water all day every day including when
nobody
is home.

actually the stand by losses are tiny, and in the winter they help
heat your home

How tiny they are depends on energy costs, and those seem unlikely to ever
go down again. Plus in the winter our water tank heats our garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 1:07�pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
wrote in message

And then pay to have it heat water all day every day including when
nobody
is home.

actually the stand by losses are tiny, and in the winter they help
heat your home

How tiny they are depends on energy costs, and those seem unlikely to ever
go down again. �Plus in the winter our water tank heats our garage..

ours is in a otherwise heated space,,, basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Feb 27, 11:14?am, JosephB wrote:

do you mind the delay bettween opening valve and getting hot water?

There's a fix for that, you can put a sensor in the bathroom that detects
when someone enters the room and tells a circulating pump to fill the line
with hot water, so when you open the tap hot water comes out.

you could get a regular tank unit for perhaps 400 bucks.

And then pay to have it heat water all day every day including when nobody
is home.

actually the stand by losses are tiny, and in the winter they help
heat your home

I have an apt where I have a pump I shut off because it added 30% to
the bill, few people have fully insulated pipes in walls so standby
losses are great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JosephB" wrote in message
I have an old water heater (providing hot water on demand, not filling
a tank). This water heater is old and inefficient and needs replacing
as it has started leaking and finding the replacement part is
difficult.

Anyway I reckon it is time to get a new one, can anyone recommend a
good water heater, wall mounted, providing hot water on demand for 1
bath, 3 sinks and a washing machine.

Thanks,

If you can access to natural gas or propane:

http://www.foreverho****er.com/

I've had people tell me they pay for themselves in 2 years. I am going to
get one in the fall when I redo my kitchen (going to replace me electric
stove/oven with a gas one).

Joesph

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my former apartment I had a Bosch that worked great once it got
installed. The landlady and her boyfriend did the install themselves
and it took them a very long time with lots of expletives, and once
they got it running they did have to call a plumber twice to fix a
couple things, but I chalk that up to the installation, not the
heater. I only had it for about a year before I moved, but I
absolutely loved it. I have heard some professional plumbers say that
Bosch tankless are not good quality, but not sure if that is based on
up to date info. Just be sure you get the right kind for your
climate. In northern climates there are some models that cannot heat
the water quickly enough in the winter.

good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote in message

On Feb 27, 11:14?am, JosephB wrote:

do you mind the delay bettween opening valve and getting hot water?

There's a fix for that, you can put a sensor in the bathroom that detects
when someone enters the room and tells a circulating pump to fill the line
with hot water, so when you open the tap hot water comes out.

you could get a regular tank unit for perhaps 400 bucks.

And then pay to have it heat water all day every day including when nobody
is home.

actually the stand by losses are tiny, and in the winter they help
heat your home

And in summer they also heat your home, but I would think the amount
is small. My tank has 2 1/2 inches of foam all the way around,
although perhaps less in the bottom and on the top.

I have an apt where I have a pump I shut off because it added 30% to
the bill, few people have fully insulated pipes in walls so standby
losses are great.

When you have the circulating pump. When not, the pipes and the water
inside them cool off after the hot water is turned off.

For that matter, the cold water pipes and the water inside them warm
up when the cold water is turned off. At least where it is cooler
where the water pipes are buried than in the house, which is most
places most of the time. I sometimes run the cold water for a while
so I can get a cold drink out of the bathroom sink and I realize that
I've changed all the water in the pipe to colder water and cooled the
pipes too, and all that has to be reheated in the winter. Plus every
time I flush the toilet. I wonder how much money that is costing me,
compared to say, going down stairs, and taking cold water from the
refrigerator, or the tap water that first comes out plus ice.

I have plastic drain pipes so I don't think there is much of an issue
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 6:11�pm, "Dr. Hardcrab" wrote:
"JosephB" wrote in message

I have an old water heater (providing hot water on demand, not filling
a tank). �This water heater is old and inefficient and needs replacing
as it has started leaking and finding the replacement part is
difficult.

Anyway I reckon it is time to get a new one, can anyone recommend a
good water heater, wall mounted, providing hot water on demand for 1
bath, 3 sinks and a washing machine.

Thanks,

If you can access to natural gas or propane:

http://www.foreverho****er.com/

I've had people tell me they pay for themselves in 2 years. I am going to
get one in the fall when I redo my kitchen (going to replace me electric
stove/oven with a gas one).

Joesph- Hide quoted text -

cost of tankless installed is likely 3 or 4 times a standard
tank.........

new larger gas line direct from meter, possible flue issues, tankless
are high btu, need large chimney.

now the energy guide on most standard tanks is under 300 bucks a year.
250 appears average.

regular tanks are about 56% efficent,,,,,, but heck lets say 50% just
to make math easy

that means half of 250 bucks is wasted, $125 bucks a year.

so if you actually saved 125 bucks a year and a properly sized
tankless cost 1000 bucks more than a standard tank installed, it will
take at least 8 years before you save a dime, and tankless appear
longest warranty is 10 years.

sorry savings are minimal