Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Real estate agent ethics

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

I have written to the owner and manager of the Century 21 franchise for
whom she works, but since she's a top seller for him, I'm not holding my
breath that he'll concern himself too much with my complaint.

So do any of you happen to know whether there is a procedure for formal
redress of grievances against agents? Are they sworn to uphold some sort
of code of ethics? Does Century 21 censure its agents if they misbehave,
or are individual franchises free to operate however they choose?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

I have written to the owner and manager of the Century 21 franchise for
whom she works, but since she's a top seller for him, I'm not holding my
breath that he'll concern himself too much with my complaint.

So do any of you happen to know whether there is a procedure for formal
redress of grievances against agents? Are they sworn to uphold some sort
of code of ethics? Does Century 21 censure its agents if they misbehave,
or are individual franchises free to operate however they choose?

First of all, "Real Estate Agent Ethics" is an oxymoron.
Secondly, all agents or their agencies have to be licensed by the State they
operate in. You have to find the State agency that issues licenses to real
estate brokers and file a complaint there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 11:14�am, GoHabsGo wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

Did you have any kind of agreement with the agent? � I am curious what an
agent could possibly write in any business correspondence that could be
rabid or psychotic. �Enquiring minds want to know ...

i chatted with a agent the other day, told her something she should
disclose to every buyer in our neighborhood. i am very certain se will
never mention it to a soul...

every home built by our builder in 1950 has a bad line, according to
the head of the sewer authority. cost about 8 to 10 grand per home to
replace line...........

agents are just people struggling to make a living, many are con
artists
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 7:32 am, Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

In your situation I'd consider myself lucky that I'd figured out not
to do business with her.

Your intuition was borne out. My suggestion is to just "forget about
it"....where's the upside for you to pursue this?

We cannot know this woman's personal situation...perhaps she realized
that the loss of your business is going to mean financial disaster for
her? Maybe she's highly leveraged & about to go BK?

Desperate, crazy people do desperate, crazy things.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sanity wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote:

[...]

Absolutely an oxymoron

Secondly, all agents or their agencies have to be licensed
by the State they operate in. You have to find the State
agency that issues licenses to real estate brokers and file
a complaint there.

State Boards are nasty *******s - just a complaint eill
btrrd fear to any incompetetn agent.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Smitty Two wrote:
I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

First of all, make sure you write (snail mail not email) to
her and formally confirm the fact you terminated the
relationship effective [date]. You need that letter on file
just in case she later attempts to claim that your relationship
is still in effect and claim commission on a subsequent sale.

Depending on the termination provisions of your contract
with her, you might want to include the contractual
grounds for your termination.

I'd probably leave it there but if you feel strongly about
it, you can file a complaint with the applicable licensing
board in your State.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Smitty Two-

In your situation I'd consider myself lucky that I'd figured out not
to do business with her.

Your intuition was borne out. My suggestion is to just "forget about
it"....where's the upside for you to pursue this?

We cannot know this woman's personal situation...perhaps she realized
that the loss of your business is going to mean financial disaster for
her? Maybe she's highly leveraged & about to go BK?

Desperate, crazy people do desperate, crazy things.

cheers
Bob

I know the real estate biz has been taking a lot of hits. There were
stats published not long ago
about the numbers of sellers who were getting out of the business. I
would chalk it up to business
or financial pressures and forget about it. I have no sympathy for
realtors, although I met a real
nice one once ) What goes around comes around - takes a long time
sometimes, but it works.
Forget about her, and as another said, be glad you were spared doing
business with her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 10:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

I have written to the owner and manager of the Century 21 franchise for
whom she works, but since she's a top seller for him, I'm not holding my
breath that he'll concern himself too much with my complaint.

So do any of you happen to know whether there is a procedure for formal
redress of grievances against agents? Are they sworn to uphold some sort
of code of ethics? Does Century 21 censure its agents if they misbehave,
or are individual franchises free to operate however they choose?

My what goes around comes around C21 Realtor story:

Before we were married my wife and I started looking for a place to
rent. So the agent Dorene was showing us around and we stop at a
place we were interested in. She gets on the phone with the owner in
front of us and tells the owner "I have a nice married couple here
with no pets and I've already run their credit and its excellent". We
just met Dorene, she knew we weren't married, had no idea about pets,
and din't run our credit. I told Dorene we had to go and we left. I
told my future wife that if Dorene would lie to her client she would
sure as hell lie to us so we were done with her.

Fast forward 4 years and we have our first home on the market (luckily
we decided against renting). And Dorene shows up with potential
buyers unannounced. Our listing was clearly marked by appointment
only. I tell her she can't come in without an appointment and she
starts berating me asking my why because she had made an appointment
the day before (obviously trying to show off in front of her client).
I tell her better luck next time and close the door in her face.

Don't know if that couple saw through her BS because they knew she
didn't have an appointment but I knew she was full of it.

Don't bother with Dorene if you need a realtor in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

I have written to the owner and manager of the Century 21 franchise for
whom she works, but since she's a top seller for him, I'm not holding my
breath that he'll concern himself too much with my complaint.

So do any of you happen to know whether there is a procedure for formal
redress of grievances against agents? Are they sworn to uphold some sort
of code of ethics? Does Century 21 censure its agents if they misbehave,
or are individual franchises free to operate however they choose?

You have not given enough detail for us to offer you advice. If you
have a complaint, the local board of Realtors is where to go.
I tried real estate business for a while and did not like it. You could
work your tail off for a client but only made money if a sale
transpired. Maybe that was her frustration.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:32:00 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

She wrote this letter only to you? If so, forget about it, or write
her a letter in return. You don't have to use profanity, vulgarity,
or scatology to write a strong letter, and I would advice against all
of those. But it wouldn't hurt to write her a letter. One thing you
could say is, "Now I'm certain I made the right choice in ending our
relationship. You are not a person I want to deal with regarding real
estate."

When I was buying, I had a real estate agent for two half days, who
showed me houses that were selling for 25% more than I said I wanted
to spend.

When I bought one, the two women representing the seller still did a
terrible job regarding me, in ways that didn't benefit the seller. A
couple months after I moved it, I had time to make an appointment with
them and I told them what they had done wrong, and that someone my age
would know loads of people who were buying or selling houses, and I
woudn't recommend them to anyone. I don't know if this bothered them
or not, but the whole office they worked for went out of business
within a couple years, and I never saw their pictures in the real
estate ads, as is common in one of the local magazines.

You might arrange a meeting to tell her off, so you could watch her
reaction, rather than just a letter. But she probably won't react
much. The two I talked to had not much to say in return, but maybe
they didn't make the same mistakes the next time.

If she sent a copy to someone else, and harmed you in some way, please
give more details.

I have written to the owner and manager of the Century 21 franchise for
whom she works, but since she's a top seller for him, I'm not holding my
breath that he'll concern himself too much with my complaint.

So do any of you happen to know whether there is a procedure for formal
redress of grievances against agents? Are they sworn to uphold some sort
of code of ethics? Does Century 21 censure its agents if they misbehave,
or are individual franchises free to operate however they choose?

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words addressed only to
you can't hurt you. What is it that happened that has you so
outrages?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

Maybe the $$ signs in her eye balls tilted.

I've made eight RE transactions over the past 20 years or so. I never
dealt with e-mail and only use the phone when making appointments.

We like to sit down at the round table, make eye contact with the
agent.

I have written to the owner and manager of the Century 21 franchise for
whom she works, but since she's a top seller for him, I'm not holding my
breath that he'll concern himself too much with my complaint.

So do any of you happen to know whether there is a procedure for formal
redress of grievances against agents? Are they sworn to uphold some sort
of code of ethics? Does Century 21 censure its agents if they misbehave,
or are individual franchises free to operate however they choose?

Check the state licensing board. A complaint may make the Broker
address his agent.

Spring is here soon, so I would let it go and do other things.

Define "misbehave"!

--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of

Of course you can "fire" your agent, but I'd wait until the contract
ends. A gracious or tactful exit is better for all, but that doesn't
always happen that way. I wouldn't say much to the company or tell
new agent for that matter. A 3-month contract (with renewal options)
is better than 6-month contract. This can be a tough time to sell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 10:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

Pleast post here letter here! I'd love to read it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I don't think it's unethical to insult someone via email. Still, if you
think her action was unwarranted, send her a peace offering.

A shiny red fire truck at 3:00 a.m. comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message

"Sanity" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
[...]

BFD there. I had a complaint against a lawyer, and wrote to the State
Bar. They replied and said that if I wanted to take any action I should
hire an attorney. I, of course and dumbly, thought that was their job.
Apparently, I was wrong.

A complaint to the real estate board in your state may or may not do any
good. What do you want from her? Do you just want her to straighten up
and not bother anyone else? Maybe a complaint would do that. Don't count
on much more. If she's a real b....., it probably won't even bother her.

Hire another agent, keep quiet about your experiences with this one, and
move on. If you complain to the new one about this one, you could be
perceived as a troublemaker, or worse yet, they could be buddies

Steve

It's people like you that let people like the agent get away with their
crap. True, the State licensing agency might not do anything in this case.
But if enough people did complain, they'd take action.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sanity" wrote in message

"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message

"Sanity" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
[...]

Huh? Say what?

I said, (if you had read it), that complaining to a toothless agency may or
may not get relief. To try it. If they wouldn't do a damn thing about my
lawyer making a $44,000 mistake, a real estate agency might not take any
action on a behavioral issue. After all, the agent did not make a real
mistake that cost anyone any money.

People like me? WTF does that mean? People like me would simply back her
into a corner, slap the living **** out of her, and give her the attitude
adjustment she needed.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sanity" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

Which planet do you live on? Here on earth, you can't even get the police
to protect battered women and "take action" until they have a toe tag. You
think the real estate board has any teeth?

Can I meet you tomorrow to show you this bridge I have for sale? It's very
reasonable, and there's NO qualifying!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
BobK207 wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you're right, I've lost nothing, just annoyed that a complete
stranger who is supposed to be a professional, could behave so
atrociously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

I don't think it's unethical to insult someone via email.

I do, but maybe you'd use a different word for it. It certainly isn't
professional, and I imagine it violates some sort of code of conduct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of

Of course you can "fire" your agent, but I'd wait until the contract
ends. A gracious or tactful exit is better for all, but that doesn't
always happen that way. I wouldn't say much to the company or tell
new agent for that matter. A 3-month contract (with renewal options)
is better than 6-month contract. This can be a tough time to sell.

I'm buying, in this case, so there's no contract. I don't even know the
woman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I don't know what her frustration is, but she apparently is making
money. I'll look into the Board of Realtors avenue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm starting with the owner of the franchise. If he doesn't
censure her behavior in any meaningful way (and I doubt he will,) I'll
take it to the licensing board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

She wrote this letter only to you? If so, forget about it,

Yes, to me, although she cc'd my g.f. and promised to send a copy to
the gentleman who referred me to her. (a promise that did not
materialize, but the gentleman was horrified when my g.f. showed the
letter to him later)

If she sent a copy to someone else, and harmed you in some way, please
give more details.

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words addressed only to
you can't hurt you. What is it that happened that has you so
outrages?

That is a very thoughtful question, and one I have deliberated on a bit
already. More will no doubt be revealed. But, I will tell you that the
letter was outrageous, (so why would I not be outraged?) and 100%
unprovoked. If I had an employee who spoke to one of my customers like
that, I would fire the employee on the spot. Our society has grown rude,
and we have grown accepting of rudeness. I guess I'd like to rail
against that, effectively or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sanity" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

In the past I had to file a grievance with the State Board of Licensing in
NY complaining about a serious error in a land survey that cost me 24000 to
correct. They investigated and found the surveyor in error. I took their
report and sued the surveyor and won my case.
I also filed against a chain pharmacy for making an error in a prescription
for my dog. The prescription read 5mg and they gave 500mg. The store was
heavily fined.
And I do live on planet Earth and if you think you're the ultimate in brains
or experiences, I have a bridge for sale for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

There should be a local or state board of realtors to which you might
complain. Realtors are licensed. Go to the licensing agency.

Realtors are self-serving bottom feeders.

I bought a property once and was given a coffee cup by my realtor as a
token of appreciation. I don't even drink coffee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two says...

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't see this as an ethical question so much as your unfortunately haVING
run into an emotionally unstable, unhappy person. She didnt' set you up to lose
money or otherwise manipulate you, or others, to get something for herself, did
she? That would be more along the lines of what people consider ethical
questions.

From your description, this is beyond rudeness, so beyond your wisest course is
to realize that, and don't let her emotional problems affect your life further.
Which means to drop it. After bring the letters to the attention of any
superiors she may have. And thereafter don't use that realtor or any associated
realtor.

Is there something in the letters that's defamatory to you? (If so, are you
telling us everything?)

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:36:02 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

She wrote this letter only to you? If so, forget about it,

Yes, to me, although she cc'd my g.f. and promised to send a copy to

I guess I should have asked "She sent this letter only to you?"
That's what I meant. So even if she only commented on you, or only
addressed you, in the letter, that she sent it to your g.f. puts it in
my second category.

If the g.f. doesn't believe any of the bad stuff, or thinks it isn't
bad, which seems to be through or she wouldn't have showed it to the
other man, that means I guess thta you haven't sufffered much harm
(unless contrary to your gf's expectations, the man thought less of
you after reading the letter.

But regardless of what she and he actually thought after reading the
letter, it was iiuc clearly the agent's intention that the gf should
think less of you. And that's where the problem lies.

the gentleman who referred me to her. (a promise that did not
materialize, but the gentleman was horrified when my g.f. showed the
letter to him later)

If she sent a copy to someone else, and harmed you in some way, please
give more details.

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words addressed only to
you can't hurt you. What is it that happened that has you so
outrages?

That is a very thoughtful question, and one I have deliberated on a bit
already. More will no doubt be revealed. But, I will tell you that the
letter was outrageous, (so why would I not be outraged?)

That doesn't help me understand. What is it that makes the letter
outrageeous?

and 100%
unprovoked. If I had an employee who spoke to one of my customers like
that, I would fire the employee on the spot. Our society has grown rude,
and we have grown accepting of rudeness. I guess I'd like to rail
against that, effectively or not.

Well, regarding that story about telling off the two real estate
agents, I wasn't inclined to tell their boss.

But another story happened at the same time. The mortage company the
agents put me in touch with (probably for a kickback of some sort?)
and who I conveniently met with in their office, was terrible. He
started off by saying, "Look we're going to own this house for the
next 30 years, so this is what I want you to do." A) The mortgage
company doesn't own the house. It only has owns the mortgage. B)Not
so much for me (explanation omitted to save space) but for a lot of
people, especially those whose parents could never afford to buy their
own house, buying one's first house is one of the highlights of their
lives. He shouldn't be trying to take the thrill out of it.

And towards the end of the process, after giveing the opposite
impression for most of the time, he wouldn't give me the mortgage
until I had already moved and started work. He expected me to live
out of motel room, leaving my NYC apartment unoccupied for my landlord
to have his way with it, then go back to NYC and move over a weekend.
I borrowed the money from my brother instead and never took the
mortgage from him.

And I wrote him a letter telling him how obnoxious he was and in what
ways he was obnoxious and that that was why I cancelled without giving
a second thought to the effort he had put into processing my mortgage
and that he was lucky I didn't write his boss too. (Although I figured
it would lower his average, that the boss probably kept track of.)

OTOH, there have been a couple people I wish I had written letters
like that to, and maybe even their bosses.

I too would be curious to read the letter or email the agent sent you.
There is such a big range in what various people think is outrageous.
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 7:40*am, Banty wrote:
In article ,
Smitty Two says...

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

From your description, this is beyond rudeness, so beyond your wisest course is
to realize that, and don't let her emotional problems affect your life further.
Which means to drop it. *After bring the letters to the attention of any
superiors she may have. *And thereafter don't use that realtor or any associated
realtor.

Is there something in the letters that's defamatory to you? *(If so, are you
telling us everything?)

Banty- Hide quoted text -

I agreee with Banty. State licensing boards have plenty of more
important things to worry about than someone who simply wrote a nasty
letter to someone that was a potential client. Had that letter been
to someone that was part of an actual transaction and caused potential
harm, then that would be a very different scenario. ST has already
written a letter to her employer. I'd forget about it.

It's also a bit curious that we aren't given any of the details of
exactly what transpired and what was actually said. There can be two
sides to a story.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 28 Feb 2008 04:40:39 -0800, Banty wrote:

In article ,
Smitty Two says...

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I didn't think of this question in my previous post (which in most
newsreaders will actually follow this one)

If she just insulted him for things that were known to his gf, that's
not as bad. If she disclosed personal information that Smitty-2 might
have said to the agent when the gf wasn't around, that's unethical in
the bigger sense of the word. I don't know what code of ethics real
estate agents are required or supposed to subscribe to, or what rules
the various legistlatures and regulatory agencies and employers impose
on agents. But the fact, as I see it, that it is unethical to repeat
personal information about someone is reason enough to complain to the
boss. It still reflects on the boss's business, it still alienates
current and potential clients. And so maybe the boss should know.

In judging this, I don't think it matters if the g.f. already knew
what the letter contained or not, because I'm talking about info that
the agent didn't know the g.f. knew. I'm including everything, but
what might be particularly harmful is if Smitty had said, I want 3
bedrroms because I want to have two children. Because he might have
told his gf that he didn't want to have any children. He could have
been saying this because the gf wanted children, and he wanted her not
to want to marry him, or because he wanted her to want to marry him
for him alone, and not because he could give her children. (a bad
plan btw because she might come to terms with not having children, and
then not want them at all even though Smitty was planning on
surprising her with his wishes after they got engaged.) Or he might
want the other two bedrooms one for an office and one for growing pot,
but not want to tell the agent that.

Or if he had said how much money he could afford to spend on a house,
or how much money he made each year. She shoudln't be relating
anything he said that the gf might not know in a letter she sends to
the gf. That seems to violate professional ethics.

Anything else negative the agent had to say, including baseless
insults, might not be a violation of professional ethics and "ethics"
might be seen to be more narrow than proper behaviour in gnereal, but
it's a violation of one or both to send the letter to someone other
than Smitty.

From your description, this is beyond rudeness, so beyond your wisest course is
to realize that, and don't let her emotional problems affect your life further.
Which means to drop it. After bring the letters to the attention of any
superiors she may have. And thereafter don't use that realtor or any associated
realtor.

Is there something in the letters that's defamatory to you? (If so, are you
telling us everything?)

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 2:21*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Feb 27, 10:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of
days of chewing on it, she apparently went off the deep end,
constructing a vicious written attack that I would characterize as rabid
or psychotic.

Pleast post here letter here! *I'd love to read it.

I'd love to post it. But, that would expose me to a civil lawsuit for
copyright infringement.

I've never received a letter from anyone that has copyright
protection. Normal correspondence has no such protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 7:37*am, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
[...]

token of appreciation. *I don't even drink coffee.- Hide quoted text -

What did you expect? A trip to Hawaii? I've bought houses and
never even got a coffee cup, nor did I expect one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:16:24 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of

Of course you can "fire" your agent, but I'd wait until the contract
ends.

I've never sold a house, but aren't all those contracts terminable at
will by either party (with the exception that commissions have to be
paid when contacts were made before the contract was ended)?

A gracious or tactful exit is better for all, but that doesn't
always happen that way. I wouldn't say much to the company or tell
new agent for that matter. A 3-month contract (with renewal options)
is better than 6-month contract. This can be a tough time to sell.

wHETHER the agent behaves well or not, if he isn't selling the house
when the seller thinks he could do a better job, won't it
inconvenience many sellers tremendously to wait 2 more months? He has
to start a job in another city, he has to have money to pay for the
new house, he doesn't want to leave his current house empty.

I'm buying, in this case, so there's no contract. I don't even know the
woman.

So she antagonized you this much just by email!! It must have been
terrible. Please take out the identifying information and post it
for us.

A lot of us might change our answers a bit or a lot after reading it,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 9:47*am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:16:24 -0800, Smitty Two

wrote:

wrote:

I was in email contact with an agent recently, and decided that she was
not responsive enough to my needs, so I informed her I would look
elsewhere. That seemed acceptable to her at first, but after a couple of

Of course you can "fire" your agent, but I'd wait until the contract
ends.

I've never sold a house, but aren't all those contracts terminable at
will by either party (with the exception that commissions have to be
paid when contacts were made before the contract was ended)?

No. If you're a seller, the listing agent, under normal
circumstances, has a contract that can't be cancelled for a duration
of X months, without cause. Would you take on a listening where
you're going to start running newspaper ads, put up pics and listing
info on your website, run open houses, etc, and let the seller just
say get lost 3 weeks later for no reason?

[...]

Yep, I'd like to see exactly how bad it is too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sanity" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

Please explain what you meant by your "people like you" paragraph. I said
basically the same thing you said, and you got all riled up.

Steve

"People like you" refers to people who say it's not worth the effort,
they're not going to do anything. And I got riled up about your attitude
"Can I meet you tomorrow to show you this bridge I have for sale?" Sounded
very pompous and condescending and intitmating that you're smarter than me
or I'm dumber than you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never received a letter from anyone that has copyright
protection. Normal correspondence has no such protection.

Yes, it does. Copyrights exist automatically and by default, and letters
are protected just as much as any other creative work. You can register
a copyright, for a fee, but that simply gives you additional documented
proof that you are, indeed, the creator.