Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default replacing single handle shower valve/stem

am trying to get a round shaped single shower handle off so that I can replace the
stem which is leaking

the handle part is a metal disc, it is first pulled slightly toward oneself, then
rotated to the left or right 180 degrees to control hot/cold

problem is the removal of the disc part

despite having replaced several stems in separate hot/cold shower handles, I am unable
to get to the stem on this handle.

have removed the one screw in the middle of the handle metal disc but the round handle
piece will not come off and after tugging it and attempting to rotate it left and
right, did not want to force it too much as the entire pipe assembly would move behind
the tiled wall, under the handle

I understand that as soon as I get the round handle off, I can get to the valve stem
but the problem now is not being able to get handle off the tip of the stem

there is no corrosion visible, have tried to apply heat (gently) and still failed to
get it off

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

nick hull wrote:
It would help to know the NAME of the valve. A bit of wiggling and
penetrating oil might help if there is no pin or setscrew holding it

yes, I agree and would have provided it it available

assuming any wild limited number of names (ie. harry, tom, sam, moen) - is there some
generic list of

1. if it is a "harry", then do ...
2. if it is a "moen", then do...

my guess is there is some kind of spring or clip inside a cover, right behind the
metal disc part (the part that one turns to make the shower come on) which I am unable
to access since removing the center screw will not take off the metal disc part

I could of course just take a metal saw and cut it off from wall but wanted to avoid
that if possible

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "tom"
wrote:

[...]

You can always just use it without the holding screw and the handle will
fall off when you are in the middle of a shower