Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharing well and pump--how much should we charge?

According to :

I'm surprised the mere idea of well sharing is so foreign to
everyone.

It's not foreign. However, entering into one of these without a firm
legal basis for it is not only foreign, but very unwise.

At least you seem to have a reasonable relationship with him.

Sharing electrical costs on a guess of, say, $10-20/month is perfectly
reasonable if you're both happy with it. Measuring it may be more trouble
than it's worth. You could put it in a repair fund.

The real issue is repairs. You need to discuss with him circumstances,
cost sharing, and what constitutes "shared equipment". That will
be well, well supply lines, pump, control systems, and almost certainly
pressure tank (unless you have checkvalves between it and where his feed
taps off). If you have a water softener that feeds him, it's shared too.
Do you have filters? Do they feed him? Etc.

How things get done if your neighbor can't get access to the equipment
while you're away is also an issue. Do you trust them enough to give
'em a key?

As for the initial installation cost, it's probably too late, but,
perhaps no harm in asking if your relationship is that good.

Now, once you get that all thrashed out, write it down in simple and
plain language (should be less than a page), and each should keep
a signed copy. That will keep things sane in the future.

Note: because of various incidents over the past years, people are
getting considerably more leary of small-scale water sharing. You don't
want to face major lawsuits over a contamination problem you didn't
catch. You'll probably need to advise your insurance company.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could claim you were checking forleaks- after allit's YOUR well

On Feb 27, 11:59Â*am, " wrote:
It sure is a dumb idea. � Not only would someone dumb enough to
contaminate the water be in for a slam dunk civil case, they could be
facing criminal charges as well. �Especially today, deliberately
contaminating someones shared water is likely going to lead to serious
trouble.

food coloring would be entirely safe but may scare the other user into
getting their own well...........

it wasnt really a serious suggestion

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hallerb, Heaven bound. wrote:
Seems the main question everyone is answering is about the actual pump and
lines supplied by the seller. Are you to assume cost of a new pump since the
seller of the land paid for the well? If not then basic electricity is all I
would charge. As far as the pressure tank you installed does it backfeed into
their supply line? If so then they will rep the benefits of it as well. My
wife's parents are on our well also and I hear my pump kick on a lot when we
are not using water. But they are family so I'm glad to help their situation.
Should have bought one big bladder tank and put it at the well for both
houses. Hope this helps.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Harry K, Step2001 wrote:
Lmao zim in that situation now.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader4, RayRay wrote:
well, just break down the costs. you gotta know gallons / kwh of running the
pump. that will give you an idea of total water usage from all water usage.
then split that cost. even though you are using less water. or charge them
2/3 or 3/4 of electric cost to run the pump.
as for wear take the total life expectancy of a well pump, plus FUTURE
estimated replacement cost and divide it to get a yearly, then monthly "wear &
tear" figure. that would be fair to me .
my situation is a girlfriend with nephew, his gf and her daughter w/o water
for over a year now coming over to use my shower , get water to flush their
toilet and do laundry. I've had enpugh of it and want to calculate their
water usage (even estimated) so I can inform them the size of the favor I pay
for the additional usage they cause.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are not going to divide the total cost equally, use water
meters. Real meters are not cheap unless you can get a deal on used
ones from the utility.
I think the easiest way is just to run a tab and have all of the users
chip in equally. If you need to meter the electricity, used electric
meters are really cheap since utilities are moving to smart meters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RayRay" m wrote in
message ...
[...]

The original post is 9 years old.

Exactly what do you do to find 9 year old posts and why do you waste time
replying to them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2017 8:44 PM, RayRay wrote:

tear" figure. that would be fair to me . my situation is a girlfriend
with nephew, his gf and her daughter w/o water
for over a year now coming over to use my shower , get water to flush their
toilet and do laundry. I've had enpugh of it and want to calculate their
water usage (even estimated) so I can inform them the size of the favor
I pay
for the additional usage they cause.

I pay $60/month for water and sewer for 2 of us. Depending on frequency
of visit, $30 would seem reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 22:28:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/27/2017 8:44 PM, RayRay wrote:

tear" figure. that would be fair to me . my situation is a girlfriend
with nephew, his gf and her daughter w/o water
for over a year now coming over to use my shower , get water to flush their
toilet and do laundry. I've had enpugh of it and want to calculate their
water usage (even estimated) so I can inform them the size of the favor
I pay
for the additional usage they cause.

I pay $60/month for water and sewer for 2 of us. Depending on frequency
of visit, $30 would seem reasonable.

That is fairly cheap or you do not use much water. Around here $60
would get you about 3700 gallons of water/sewer with the fixed fees
according to the chart. I am not sure if there are additional taxes on
that tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tell the lazy free-loading democrats to get a job and pay to have their
well fixed. Don't molly-coddle democrats, it just makes them even lazier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

tear" figure. that would be fair to me . my situation is a girlfriend
with nephew, his gf and her daughter w/o water
for over a year now coming over to use my shower , get water to flush their
toilet and do laundry. I've had enpugh of it and want to calculate their
water usage (even estimated) so I can inform them the size of the favor
I pay for the additional usage they cause.

I pay $60/month for water and sewer for 2 of us. Depending on frequency
of visit, $30 would seem reasonable.

That is fairly cheap or you do not use much water. Around here $60
would get you about 3700 gallons of water/sewer with the fixed fees
according to the chart. I am not sure if there are additional taxes on
that tho.

I have one neighbour off my well - he pays me $ 250. per year and
any maintenance / repair of the shared plant is split 50-50.
The line from my property to his is his problem alone.
It is a written agreement that is legally "attached" to our deed.
The cost hasn't changed since the 2 homes were built in 1991.
My lawyer says that I can cancel the agreement but would need to give
him significant time to make other arrangements - like a year ..
My other neighbour was being a nice guy and only charged his
neighbour $ 35. per year - and he has regretted it ever since -
the guy has been a jerk ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 4:33:52 AM UTC-4, ralph wrote:
Tell the lazy free-loading democrats to get a job and pay to have their
well fixed. Don't molly-coddle democrats, it just makes them even lazier.

Figure out what the cost is and charge full price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/2017 10:34 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 4:33:52 AM UTC-4, ralph wrote:
Tell the lazy free-loading democrats to get a job and pay to have their
well fixed. Don't molly-coddle democrats, it just makes them even lazier.

Figure out what the cost is and charge full price.

Years ago I might have done that, today not so much.

Lazy democrats are always looking fo free money. If they have their
water tested and find something wrong with it, they'll get one of those
sleazy late-night tv lawyers and sue yo ass. Even if you win, it will
cost you thousands to defend yourself. There's nothing to gain and
everything to lose. Send them packing ASAP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JohnnieMarr, debi randel wrote:
I also have the same question..howerever I think you are wanting to be paid
for the existing well and all the happy crap that goes. With it...usage fine
fees like the phone conversation...all that stuff was already paid for when it
was installed by whoever....done deal..your sharing the daily cost of it
operating now....put a clause in saying you will split cost if it breaks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JohnnieMarr, steve a. wrote:
you answered your on question..you said "we agreed"
We agreed that we would pay for the electricity along with the rest of our
electricity,..why cry now?if your neighbor had of made the same agreement i
sure if he was trying to go back on his word you would have a problem

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:44:02 GMT, steve a.
m wrote:

replying to JohnnieMarr, steve a. wrote:
you answered your on question..you said "we agreed"
We agreed that we would pay for the electricity along with the rest of our
electricity,..why cry now?if your neighbor had of made the same agreement i
sure if he was trying to go back on his word you would have a problem

The well dried up a long time ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Andy, Leslie wrote:
Well said

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to RBM, T Long wrote:
Cost of electric used by pump .28 a hour to take a hour long cold shower cost
$ 0.28 according to co Mo electric co op people have been paying way to
much....

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ralph, VOTE out dumocrats wrote:
I agree with you 100%! MAGA.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you ever find out what to do ? I am having the same issue . We rent and the water pump is in our yard. But the landlord said that will paying for the neighbors down below us also.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 9:15:07 AM UTC-5, jessica69872006 wrote:
Did you ever find out what to do ? I am having the same issue . We rent and the water pump is in our yard. But the landlord said that will paying for the neighbors down below us also.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm

From the limited info, it sounds like the water pump for a duplex is on your meter.
Not unusual. Presumably the landlord told you this before you signed a lease or
moved in. The landlord should have it in the lease. If you knew about it before,
what's the issue? I hope the landlord didn't tell you to go collect money from the
other tenant. The electric used for the pump isn't much, I'd think it's no
more than $5 a month or so, unless it's used for lawn watering or similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2021 9:15 AM, jessica69872006 wrote:
Did you ever find out what to do ? I am having the same issue . We rent
and the water pump is in our yard. But the landlord said that will
paying for the neighbors down below us also.

Interesting to me as a well owner. Google tells me it could be costing
about $2 a day for electricity. Landlord should adjust your rent to
account for this. Maybe he already has. At least as a renter you are
not responsible for well. I needed a new one two years ago and it cost
me $7,000. I have enough water to supply our small development but
thankfully do not have to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 9:35:05 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 2/19/2021 9:15 AM, jessica69872006 wrote:
Did you ever find out what to do ? I am having the same issue . We rent
and the water pump is in our yard. But the landlord said that will
paying for the neighbors down below us also.

Interesting to me as a well owner. Google tells me it could be costing
about $2 a day for electricity.

Sure, if you're watering an acre of lawn. A 1hp pump is about 750 watts.
at 0.13 per kwh, that, 0.10 per hour. To get to $2, the pump would have
to be running about 20 hours a day. If it runs an hour or two a day, it's
ten or twenty cents.

Landlord should adjust your rent to
account for this. Maybe he already has.

The issue is if he told them before they rented. And even if he didn't
when it's a few bucks a month in a rent that's probably 200 times that,
I wouldn't go looking for trouble over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2021 9:15 AM, jessica69872006 wrote:
Did you ever find out what to do ? I am having the same issue . We rent
and the water pump is in our yard. But the landlord said that will
paying for the neighbors down below us also.

The only satisfactory answer is to never share a well. Either spit cost
equally or put meters and split proportionally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 9:54:30 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2021 9:15 AM, jessica69872006 wrote:
Did you ever find out what to do ? I am having the same issue . We rent
and the water pump is in our yard. But the landlord said that will
paying for the neighbors down below us also.

The only satisfactory answer is to never share a well. Either spit cost
equally or put meters and split proportionally.

Not really practical. There are many duplexes and similar, houses with two different
tenants. Two meters would require two pumps and two separate water systems.
Many, probably most of these were never built with that in mind. Even two pumps
isn't possible, if it's a submersible, which is the most common type today. As I
see it, it's a $2 a month issue. But if this renter plans on going to the other
tenant to ask them to pay, I can see $2000 problems before it's over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2021 10:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Can be done with one pump and pressure tank. In an older house it may
be harder to split the systems but from scratch it is just a tee fitting
and meters. In reality, the cost of the meters is probably 10 years of
pump electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 11:01:21 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I would take bets that the cost of meters and all the other BS to solve
a problem that does not exist is going to be a lot more than 10 years
of pump electric usage. By my calculations, it's a couple bucks a month.
So, to even it out, so that the other party is paying their $2 a month
accurately, it would seem to me that it's going to cost a lot more than
$240 bucks, ie ten years amount. And where does it end? I'm sure
there are plenty of duplexes where the landlord told one on the tenants
that they were responsible to mow the lawn. So now, what? Calculate
that value to the dollar? If you were a landlord that had a duplex where
the pump was on one tenant, what would you do? Tell the one tenant
that's the way it is, you're paying it, or go re-plumb the place, put in more
electric meters, etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2021 1:17 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Simple solution is the landlord pays the water bill. If it is $20 a
month you factor $15 into each apartment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 1:56:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

It isn't a water bill that the landlord receives. It's a water pump that is wired
in to one tenant's electric meter and not separate from all their other usage.
The simple solution is to explain that to the tenant, that they will be paying
about $2 a month for the power attributable to the water for the other tenant,
that the rent is $1000 a month and that's factored in. The alternate solution
is to install water meters on both sides and an electric meter for the water
pump, then periodically read them, calculate how much each tenant should
pay and for the landlord to bill one $2 and send a check for $2 to the
other tenant, or quarterly $6. That doesn't sound simple to me.
And what do you think the new plumbing and electrical will cost? If I did that,
the rent would be $1025. Is everyone better off?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kd Kd is offline

So we have an agreement with our neibors 7 dollars a month for there part of the electric on the pump and any repairs we split in half. Also if the electric goes out since we have the pump they have a generator that will run it! So its even work! This was in place way before we bought the house.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-290676-.htm