Posted to alt.home.repair
RR RR is offline

Default broken screws

I had to repair some fencing awhile back due to a big wind storm. I
needed to to replace some screws so I bought some Hillman PowerPro 8x2
Bronze Ceramic coated screws. I put them in last november and now have
to do some final adjustments on the fence. I had to pull the new Hillman
screws out to find that they all were broken about an inch from the top
of the head. I did not tighten the screws into the wood extremely tight.
I only tightened them to a snug torque since that is all that is needed
to snug up the fencing to the 2x4s. The fencing consists or regular
untreated ceder planks that are about 1/2 inch thick, about 5 inches
wide and 6 feet tall. The 2x4's are regular untreated fir. The screws
(what was left) came out real easy. They was no sensation of breaking or
snapping. I would know if a screw broke as I was removing the screw. I
tried putting in a few screws and immediately removing them, but could
not get them to break. I am in Oregon and there has been the normal wet
rain with more then normal amount of snow, but can't imagine that the
temperature having an effect on the screws. The only thing I can think
of is the swelling of the wood which put too must strain on the screws
if there was actually swelling in the ceder which I imagine there would be.

Are these mis-manufactured screws or is there something to with the
tightening and swelling of the wood that made them break? or weather?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
RR wrote:

[...]

It's perfectly normal, those screws are thin and weak and will break
easily when removing AFTER the wood has set up on them after a season.
You need fatter screws or SS screws. The ceramic has no strength but it
makes the metal too thin.