Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New recessed fixture is smoking

Need a wee bit of advice - I just installed a bunch of new-construction
IC-rated 4" recessed fixtures. Drywall and insulation aren't up yet,
but I powered up the circuit to show my wife how they'd look and to get
her opinion on the different baffles/trims. I had one each white,
chrome and black baffles, each lamped with an R20 50W flood (which is
what the fixture is rated for with those baffles).

After a few minutes, I noticed some wisps of smoke from the fixture with
the black baffle. The other baffles were fine, and the unbaffled
fixtures were also fine. Is this normal for a newly-installed light &
baffle?

The fixtures also came with screw-in extenders that extend the lamp
about an inch - the instructions for the fixture seem to picture this
being used with the white or black plastic baffles (but not the chrome),
but the instructions that came with the baffles make no reference to
this. They certainly make the lamp a lot uglier by pushing the bulb to
where it's more visible. Optional / required?

Thanks!

-- Chris
________*________ Chris Barnabo,
____________ \_______________/
http://www.spagnet.com
\__________/ / /
__\ \_______/ /__ "The heck with the Prime Directive,
\_______________/(- let's destroy something!"
Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

"Chris Barnabo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Are you using a spot lamp? Usually, spot lamps have a clear face while
flood lamps have a stippled or configurated surface. A spot lamp may focus
too much heat on the louver and what you see is the paint or coating
material burning off.

Remove the louver and try putting a piece of paper or cardboard at the
position of the louver and you'll see right away if it changes color starts
to char.

Several solutions: replace the spot lamp with a flood lamp. Pull the lamp
up further in the can. That reduces the heat on the louver as well as the
glare from the fixture. The louver is designed to further reduce glare.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I don't recall ever installing a recessed light that smoked upon start-up.
The R-20 50 watt bulb is not as hot as a PAR 20 halogen. My guess is that
there is a problem with the fixture or that particular trim. What brand of
fixtures are these?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

It's a Halo (Cooper Lighting) fixture & trim. I swapped the trim and
lamp to another fixture and didn't notice any smoke this time from
either the new or original fixture, so I'm guessing some residue from
the manufacturing process must've been involved.

During all of these testing the housings themselves never became more
than slightly warm to the touch, so I don't think it's any kind of
problem internal to the fixture.

Any idea on those lamp extenders? I'm guessing their purpose is to
leave a little more room between the R-20 lamp and the trim, but there's
no clear guidance on whether they're required or not.

-- Chris
________*________ Chris Barnabo,

____________ \_______________/
http://www.spagnet.com
\__________/ / /
__\ \_______/ /__ "The heck with the Prime Directive,
\_______________/(- let's destroy something!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I usually use the Halo H99 series when installing 4" cans with the 993 white
coilex trim. I never saw lamp extenders come with the fixtures. I think
most people like the set back of the bulb. My guess is that they are
optional to use.

Is it a problem if recessed light fixture touches PVC sewage pipe [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 29th 07 02:10 AM
OT Smoking in bed Terry Home Repair 1 February 6th 07 07:32 AM
Installing recessed lighting fixture in suspended ceiling Dr.John Home Repair 8 January 30th 06 04:36 AM
Here it is. The smoking gun. Greg Palast UK diy 2 May 13th 05 09:22 PM
HELP! Halo Recessed Lights - Heat Loss through Fixture is HUGE! WM Home Repair 3 December 17th 04 08:33 PM