Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire-resistant insulation?

I have a basement wall that's a few inches from my water heater and
also quite near my furnace. I want to insulate that wall and I can't
do it from the other side.

There isn't room to put studs and fiberglass insulation and then cover
it with wallboard. And I don't think it's a good idea to use
polystyrene insulation because it's pretty flammable.

Is there any other type of insulation with a high R value (because
there's only a couple of inches of room) that isn't extremely
flammable that I could put into that space?

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
I have a basement wall that's a few inches from my water heater and
also quite near my furnace. I want to insulate that wall and I can't
do it from the other side.

There isn't room to put studs and fiberglass insulation and then cover
it with wallboard. And I don't think it's a good idea to use
polystyrene insulation because it's pretty flammable.

Is there any other type of insulation with a high R value (because
there's only a couple of inches of room) that isn't extremely
flammable that I could put into that space?

I think mineral wool will work, but I am not sure of the different
thicknesses and R values.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
I have a basement wall that's a few inches from my water heater and
also quite near my furnace. I want to insulate that wall and I can't
do it from the other side.

There isn't room to put studs and fiberglass insulation and then cover
it with wallboard. And I don't think it's a good idea to use
polystyrene insulation because it's pretty flammable.

Is there any other type of insulation with a high R value (because
there's only a couple of inches of room) that isn't extremely
flammable that I could put into that space?

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu....asp?product=1

is one example. There is also a rigid board fiberglass that is widely
used in HVAC installations, both for thermal and sound insulation.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
There isn't room to put studs and fiberglass insulation and then cover
it with wallboard. And I don't think it's a good idea to use
polystyrene insulation because it's pretty flammable.

Is there any other type of insulation with a high R value (because
there's only a couple of inches of room) that isn't extremely
flammable that I could put into that space?

Use fiberglass board.

FWIW, polystyrene is not all that flammable and will only burn if there is
another flame present. It will, however, melt at 190 degrees so not a good
choice for that application.