Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs & Stratton mower engine races and drops like clockwork

Hello,

I have a base-level 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that's about 6
years old. It's a throttle-free design with a primer bulb. Lately,
after I get it started, it goes in to a rhythm of racing and dropping
off about every second. This started rather suddenly. The plug is
OK. I started to take it apart, because I didn't even know if mowers
had "points". I assume it's some kind of induction ignition system
based on the setup of the cutoff switch and the magnetic flywheel.
The carb looks like nothing more than a plastic throttle body, and I
don't see a float/bowl of any kind. I generally don't repair mowers,
obviously. Does anybody recognize that surging/dropping behavior?
Thank you!

Thanks,

JM
Posted to alt.home.repair

SOunds like the diaphragm, which is between the plastic carb body and tank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:19:41 -0800 (PST), JM_newsgroups
wrote:

Hello,

I have a base-level 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that's about 6
years old. It's a throttle-free design with a primer bulb. Lately,
after I get it started, it goes in to a rhythm of racing and dropping
off about every second. This started rather suddenly. The plug is
OK. I started to take it apart, because I didn't even know if mowers
had "points". I assume it's some kind of induction ignition system
based on the setup of the cutoff switch and the magnetic flywheel.
The carb looks like nothing more than a plastic throttle body, and I
don't see a float/bowl of any kind. I generally don't repair mowers,
obviously. Does anybody recognize that surging/dropping behavior?

The governor would be a candidate. I had that with a broken governor
spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JM_newsgroups" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a base-level 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that's about 6
years old. It's a throttle-free design with a primer bulb. Lately,
after I get it started, it goes in to a rhythm of racing and dropping
off about every second. This started rather suddenly. The plug is
OK. I started to take it apart, because I didn't even know if mowers
had "points". I assume it's some kind of induction ignition system
based on the setup of the cutoff switch and the magnetic flywheel.
The carb looks like nothing more than a plastic throttle body, and I
don't see a float/bowl of any kind. I generally don't repair mowers,
obviously. Does anybody recognize that surging/dropping behavior?
Thank you!

Or, just a mixture adjustment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:19 pm, JM_newsgroups wrote:
Hello,

I have a base-level 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that's about 6
years old. It's a throttle-free design with a primer bulb. Lately,
after I get it started, it goes in to a rhythm of racing and dropping
off about every second. This started rather suddenly. The plug is
OK. I started to take it apart, because I didn't even know if mowers
had "points". I assume it's some kind of induction ignition system
based on the setup of the cutoff switch and the magnetic flywheel.
The carb looks like nothing more than a plastic throttle body, and I
don't see a float/bowl of any kind. I generally don't repair mowers,
obviously. Does anybody recognize that surging/dropping behavior?
Thank you!

Thanks,

JM

Try taking off the top rewind (pull-starter). You may have the classic
"critter nest" under it preventing the air vane from moving. (If I
remember that motor correctly)

pz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:19*pm, JM_newsgroups wrote:
Hello,

I have a base-level 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that's about 6
years old. *It's a throttle-free design with a primer bulb. *Lately,
after I get it started, it goes in to a rhythm of racing and dropping
off about every second. *This started rather suddenly. *The plug is
OK. *I started to take it apart, because I didn't even know if mowers
had "points". *I assume it's some kind of induction ignition system
based on the setup of the cutoff switch and the magnetic flywheel.
The carb looks like nothing more than a plastic throttle body, and I
don't see a float/bowl of any kind. *I generally don't repair mowers,
obviously. *Does anybody recognize that surging/dropping behavior?
Thank you!

Thanks,

JM

It has a govenor controlled by air I believe from the flywheel it
could be dirty.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Feb 23, 7:19*pm, JM_newsgroups wrote:
Hello,

I have a base-level 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that's about 6
years old. *It's a throttle-free design with a primer bulb. *Lately,
after I get it started, it goes in to a rhythm of racing and dropping
off about every second. *This started rather suddenly. *The plug is
OK. *I started to take it apart, because I didn't even know if mowers
had "points". *I assume it's some kind of induction ignition system
based on the setup of the cutoff switch and the magnetic flywheel.
The carb looks like nothing more than a plastic throttle body, and I
don't see a float/bowl of any kind. *I generally don't repair mowers,
obviously. *Does anybody recognize that surging/dropping behavior?
Thank you!

Thanks,

JM

A very dirty air filter can cause it also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:19 pm, JM_newsgroups wrote:
Hello,

I have a base-level 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that's about 6

Thanks, gentlemen. I had pulled the cover off and cleaned it. The
air filter, governor, and the air-controlled assembly looks OK. I
reassembled and had the same problem. I'll give Shopdog's suggestion
a try, because I had seen that mentioned for another B&S motor. The
condenser was kind of funny to reinstall, because there is enough play
to have it stick right to the flywheel.