Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire a furnace blower to use as workshop exhaust fan?

I have a furnace blower and I'd like to convert it to a workshop
exhaust fan. Not entirely sure how to wire it. Motor says its
120/240V. Can I just wire it directly up to household current?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"smcjensen" wrote in message
I have a furnace blower and I'd like to convert it to a workshop
exhaust fan. Not entirely sure how to wire it. Motor says its
120/240V. Can I just wire it directly up to household current?

Yes, either 120 volt or 240 volt, but you need to see which voltage it's set
up to run on and either use that voltage or change the wiring on the motor

Posted to alt.home.repair

yep, put a cord on it and plug it in. i used one for years to blow under
cars whilst i was working on them in the summer.

"smcjensen" wrote in message
I have a furnace blower and I'd like to convert it to a workshop
exhaust fan. Not entirely sure how to wire it. Motor says its
120/240V. Can I just wire it directly up to household current?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:35:31 -0800 (PST), smcjensen
wrote:

I have a furnace blower and I'd like to convert it to a workshop
exhaust fan. Not entirely sure how to wire it. Motor says its
120/240V. Can I just wire it directly up to household current?

Yes, might consider a wall-timer switch or plain switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"smcjensen" wrote in message

I have a furnace blower and I'd like to convert it to a workshop
exhaust fan. Not entirely sure how to wire it. Motor says its
120/240V. Can I just wire it directly up to household current?

Yes, either 120 volt or 240 volt, but you need to see which voltage it's set
up to run on and either use that voltage or change the wiring on the motor

Many furnace blowers are engineered to work within specific static
pressures.
When they are operated outside the ductwork, some blowers will overload
unless you rig-up some static resistance.
Use an amprobe to see if it is drawing too many amps; some blowers will
bog down, it all depends on how they were engineered to operate.
- udarrell
http://www.udarrell.com/external_sta..._readings.html

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES & WISDOM Principled PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Continually Updated)

"The Center for Public Integrity," 935 Documented False Statements in two years so Bush & company could invade Iraq."

"War is the greatest of all crimes; and yet there is no aggressor who
does not color his crime with the pretext of justice." - Voltaire

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(A page full of links to my pages.)
"Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to ACCEPT." - Darrell

Posted to alt.home.repair

As udarrel says, make sure you don't exceed the rated amps for the
motor. I have a few of these furnace blower "fans". You need a
bit of framework to hang on to the squirrel cage anyway, I use a
piece of peg board across the non-motor side of the housing. This
is usually enough to get the amps down to a decent level.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"udarrell" wrote in message
. net...