Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get an oval shaped copper pipe round again to installcompression fitting

Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on
3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.
The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Best regards,
NeilSanner
Posted to alt.home.repair

neilsanner wrote:
Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on
3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.
The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Best regards,
NeilSanner

If you can get the oval tubing into the compression fitting
socket, then the compression fitting will fix the ovality issue.
If you cannot get the tubing in, then try this; Take a
crescent wrench, not vise grips or pliers or channel locks, and
place it on the pipe where it is round. Tighten the crescent
until it is snug against the pipe. Now remove it and move it to
the end where your compression socket will be and place it on the
narrow part of the oval. Rotate it until it is over the wide
part of the oval and try to insert the tubing into the socket.
This has worked for me many times in the past.

In addition, if your shutoff valve will not stop the flow enough
to allow soldering, why don't you shut off the city valve and
then solder on your new valve?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

your far better off to have the water turned off and replace the main
valve.....

a better looking more workmanlike job
Posted to alt.home.repair

your far better off to have the water turned off and replace the main
valve.....

a better looking more workmanlike job

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 21, 3:30*pm, " wrote:
your far better off to have the water turned off and replace the main
valve.....

a better looking more workmanlike job

And use a new quarter turn ball valve.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"neilsanner" wrote in message
The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on
3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.
The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Best regards,
NeilSanner

This is one of those jobs that can get you in trouble, especially on the
weekend.

First, I'd not want a compression fitting on my main valve. It may work, it
may not. You already know that a slightly misshapen tube will no solder
correctly. What is the backup plan if you have a problem? Calling the town
to shut of water at the street is not easily done on a weekend, same with
finding a plumber.

Unless you are 100% sure you have a solution, consider paying a plumber. At
least know of one that you can get on short notice. Putting in a valve
"should" be a simple job but . . . . . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Neil,

Go to a plumbing supply store. They sell a simple tool to make the pipe
round again. I have both the 3/4" tool and a 1" tool and they are a
lifesaver.

cm

"neilsanner" wrote in message
Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on
3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.
The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Best regards,
NeilSanner

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:50:14 -0800 (PST), neilsanner
wrote:

Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on

Why?

3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.

Over??

The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Can't you rebuild the current valve? Turn off the water at the
street, and change the washer and/or the stem and whatever else needs
changing on the current valve

Best regards,
NeilSanner

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on

Why?

3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.

Over??

The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Can't you rebuild the current valve? �Turn off the water at the
street, and change the washer and/or the stem and whatever else needs
changing on the current valve

Best regards,
NeilSanner- Hide quoted text -

with such a important valve a new 1/4 turn ball valve is likely a good
idea.

have a friend who had a similiar problem and didnt want to call the
water company.

he had a novel fix, turned off water as best as possible disconnected
water line at meter exit, he put garden hose on meter and watered his
yard while he installed a second valve a couple feet from the meter.

then he reattached the meter line.

it worked fine, although it wouldnt help a meter leak, he feels thats
unlikely
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the nice trick Robert!

I think this is the city valve... Well at least it's the first valve I
see that brings cold water into the house. Is there usually supposed
to be a "city valve" outside the house?

Best regards,
NeilSanner

On Feb 21, 5:03 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
neilsannerwrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 11:34 pm, "CM" wrote:
Neil,

Go to a plumbing supply store. They sell a simple tool to make the pipe
round again. I have both the 3/4" tool and a 1" tool and they are a
lifesaver.

cm

"neilsanner" wrote in message

Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on
3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.
The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Best regards,
NeilSanner

Thanks for the tip CM!

Do you know what is the exact name of that tool so we could do an
image search on the internet?

Best regards,
Neilsanner

Posted to alt.home.repair

neilsannerwrote:
[...]

Georgetown, TX- Hide quoted text -

yeah theres another outside valve, theres always one there.

thats whats used to turn you off if you dont pay your water bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

call he water company they will be very helpful.

often plumbers have the outside valve tool. for such occasions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on

Why?

3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.

Over??

The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Can't you rebuild the current valve? Turn off the water at the
street, and change the washer and/or the stem and whatever else needs
changing on the current valve

Best regards,
NeilSanner

mm: I meant "above" (not "over". Sorry)

It's true that we could rebuild the current valve. It will probably
fail again soon or later though (unlike a ball valve).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Haller!

Above the main valve there's a faucet with a threaded mouth. It seems
that a garden hose could be attached to that faucet. Maybe I could do
so and install the new ball valve after that faucet. It would also
allow for soldering since the little water would be drained that way.

Best regards,
NeilSanner
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 10:25 am, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:17:03 -0800 (PST), "

neilsannerwrote:
[...]

Did you ever notice a round cover about 4 inches or so that says WATER
on it? In your lawn, or it could be in the city sidewalk if you have
one. That's the place to shut it off. You need a special tool thats
about 8 feet long. I'd just call the water dept. and have them do it.

Thanks man!

Do they usually charge for doing that ( Come and shut the valve off)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

neilsanner wrote:
Thanks for the nice trick Robert!

I think this is the city valve... Well at least it's the first valve I
see that brings cold water into the house. Is there usually supposed
to be a "city valve" outside the house?

Best regards,
NeilSanner

If it was the city valve, then you could call the city and they
would replace it. They don't like you working on their stuff.
But since it is in your home, it is not the city valve.

The city valve is going to be out by the street and would be in a
metal or plastic box with a cover. The valve will be right by
the water meter. Turn it off, or have the city come out and turn
it off, but then you will have to call them to have it turned
back on. I always just turn it off myself.

neilsannerwrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

neilsannerwrote:

[...]

if you have the replacement valve, and everything needed for new valve
they will likely wait and might help a little just to save a trip
Posted to alt.home.repair

neilsannerwrote:

[...]

they will likely wait and might help a little just to save a trip- Hide quoted text -

generally such visits are free, but you can call and ask them first

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

I have no idea what it is called or even the brand. I see no markings on
mine. It does come in two pieces. One that can fits over the pipe or one
that fits inside the pipe. I have only ever used the part that fits inside
the pipe. I tap it in with a hammer and pull it out with channel locks.

cm

On Feb 21, 11:34 pm, "CM" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

CM wrote:
I have no idea what it is called or even the brand. I see no markings on
mine. It does come in two pieces. One that can fits over the pipe or one
that fits inside the pipe. I have only ever used the part that fits inside
the pipe. I tap it in with a hammer and pull it out with channel locks.

cm

Called a "swedge" or sizing tool:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yqq4b3

Jim

On Feb 21, 11:34 pm, "CM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
[...]

Doesn't it depend on how much later later is.

Mine's 28 years old and good as new. How old is yours? How often do
you shut it? Don't these things last 50 to 100 years?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

you shut it? �Don't these things last 50 to 100 years?- Hide quoted text -

I had a main valve fail once during a major plumbing job, it allowed
the basement to flood.

given my unhappy experience a new quarter turn ball valve is a
excellent idea.

some things are best not repaired but replaced. that valve is one on
my short list
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:27:18 GMT, Robert Allison
wrote:

If it was the city valve, then you could call the city and they
would replace it. They don't like you working on their stuff.
But since it is in your home, it is not the city valve.

The city valve is going to be out by the street and would be in a
metal or plastic box with a cover. The valve will be right by
the water meter. Turn it off, or have the city come out and turn
it off, but then you will have to call them to have it turned
back on. I always just turn it off myself.

Doesn't it require a 5-sided socket, or something else most people
don't have? How do you do it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If it was the city valve, then you could call the city and they
would replace it. �They don't like you working on their stuff.
But since it is in your home, it is not the city valve.

The city valve is going to be out by the street and would be in a
metal or plastic box with a cover. �The valve will be right by
the water meter. �Turn it off, or have the city come out and turn
it off, but then you will have to call them to have it turned
back on. �I always just turn it off myself.

Doesn't it require a 5-sided socket, or something else most people
don't have? �How do you do it?

many people have those tools, they are pretty common but vary
regionally. a plumber told me in the pittsburgh area there are about 5
models.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 4:50 pm, neilsanner wrote:
Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on
3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.
The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Best regards,NeilSanner

Thanks to all!!! Really!!! You guys are very helpful and very
knowledgeable persons.

Best regards,
NeilSanner

Posted to alt.home.repair

"neilsanner" ...
neilsanner:
Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on
3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.
The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Best regards,NeilSanner

Thanks to all!!! Really!!! You guys are very helpful and very
knowledgeable persons.

Best regards,
NeilSanner

So what did you end up doing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Allison, Reggie wrote:
Robert, you are a life saver. I had all soldered joints behind a tub wall with
only 7" access width. The copper coming up from the lower level had a 20
degree bend so I cut it in the straightest looking area. The compression nut
or sleeve would not go on. I saw your post and tried it and it was perfectly
round again!!!! I had the whole building water off and this fitting was my
shut off taps. Thank you so much for this post.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-289766-.htm