Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low clearance drilling

I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Proch wrote:

I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

Maybe get a small cordless drill in there
and drill a 1/8" pilot hole up to the top;
then drill down with the 1" bore.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Proch wrote:
I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

I have a right angle attachment that screws onto a 3/8 drill,
but not a purpose built r/a drill. The attachment was a lot cheaper than
a pupose built drill.

I don't think that the attachment would work with your clearance issues,
especially when one considers the length of the bit required to drill.

I'd take a hard look at drilling down from above.

Measure the heck out of the upper and under arrangement, then
drll down with a small diameter (less than 1/4 inch) bit for a pilot
hole.

Use a wire coat hanger painted yellow or white down though the
pilot hole to see where you come out. Adjust your upper drill
entry point with reference to the pilot hole and drill down with
your 1 inch bit to ce out where you want in the 2 x 4.

I think your clearances are such that you are going to be stuck
with coming in from above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Jim- That's sort of my last resort, as I'd like to avoid cutting and
repairing the drywall if I could. But yeah, if I run out of options I'll
just cut a big enough hole out and drill down from upstairs.

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Proch wrote:

I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4,
yet there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill
due to a beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle
drill? I'm not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right
angle drills that I see at the local stores.

Maybe get a small cordless drill in there
and drill a 1/8" pilot hole up to the top;
then drill down with the 1" bore.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Proch" wrote:

I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

Rent a right-angle drill for the project. A few, easy measurements should
reveal whether or not the rental drill/bit will fit in the confined space.
Good luck.
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big

Posted to alt.home.repair

Proch wrote:
I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

Just cut out the beam! :-)

No, seriously,... You should still be able to do it if the beam
is directly under the spot. A drill with a one inch bit started
at the side of the 2x4 closest to you will come out of a 2x4
roughly in the middle when it exits the wood. Unless you have a
2 or 3 inch thick floor, you should be able to do it easily.

If for some reason this just won't work, then get a flexible
shaft for your drill and use that with a very short bit. Don't
let the bit come out of the flex shaft and you will be fine.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I had a job to drill holes for cables at the end of 2x8 joists, which gives
7 1/4" clearance. Since the drill bits are almost that long it doesn't leave
much room to work with. Most add-on adapters and flexible shafts need room
for the gear case or bending the shaft plus the chuck, you will probably
have room for only a 2" long drill bit, not good to get all the way up. I
had a Bosch right angle drill, real compact, the chuck was buried in the
gear case and combined was only about 2" tall. I used a short spade drill
bit (either buy a set of short bits or cut one down) to get started and then
switched to a full length bit to finish. Awkward to work with because as the
right angle drill bears down your fingers start contacting the points of
nails that protrude through the floor, but it got the job done.

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Proch wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
I had a job to drill holes for cables at the end of 2x8 joists, which gives
7 1/4" clearance. Since the drill bits are almost that long it doesn't leave
much room to work with. Most add-on adapters and flexible shafts need room
for the gear case or bending the shaft plus the chuck, you will probably
have room for only a 2" long drill bit, not good to get all the way up. I
had a Bosch right angle drill, real compact, the chuck was buried in the
gear case and combined was only about 2" tall. I used a short spade drill
bit (either buy a set of short bits or cut one down) to get started and then
switched to a full length bit to finish. Awkward to work with because as the
right angle drill bears down your fingers start contacting the points of
nails that protrude through the floor, but it got the job done.

My short 1" drill bit will go all the way through anything that
is not longer than the flexible shaft. I have never had to shift
to a longer bit to complete the job. The flex shaft becomes the
drill bit. As long as you keep pushing, it will keep going.

Proch wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, this is exactly what I'm dealing with. A load bearing beam in my
cellar, with 2x8s in top of it, and a floor on top of that. I'm trying to
get up the wall to run all my wires between my plasma, new outlet and
basement. I want the hole to be big enough to run a VGA connector through,
as my grand scheme involves being able to view my server on the tv. Of
course, if I drop the requirement for the VGA, I can use my really long 1"
drill bit and maybe fit my drill into the hole that I created for the outlet
and drill downward.

anews.com...

Proch wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 10:46*am, "Proch" wrote:
I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. *What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? *I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

I was able to drill a hole in a tight area by using an air ratchet.
Find the socket that is the right size for your hole saw arbor and put
it on your air ratchet. The air ratchet and socket only add about 1
1/2" to the length of your drill bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 1:16*pm, "Proch" wrote:
Yes, this is exactly what I'm dealing with. *A load bearing beam in my
cellar, with 2x8s in top of it, and a floor on top of that. *I'm trying to
get up the wall to run all my wires between my plasma, new outlet and
basement. *I want the hole to be big enough to run a VGA connector through,
as my grand scheme involves being able to view my server on the tv. *Of
course, if I drop the requirement for the VGA, I can use my really long 1"
drill bit and maybe fit my drill into the hole that I created for the outlet
and drill downward.

In that case get one of these at any hardware store and drill at a
slight angle
http://secure.data-comm.com/DC/Detail.bok?no=88553

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proch" wrote in message
Yes, this is exactly what I'm dealing with. A load bearing beam in my
cellar, with 2x8s in top of it, and a floor on top of that. I'm trying to
get up the wall to run all my wires between my plasma, new outlet and
basement. I want the hole to be big enough to run a VGA connector
through, as my grand scheme involves being able to view my server on the
tv. Of course, if I drop the requirement for the VGA, I can use my really
long 1" drill bit and maybe fit my drill into the hole that I created for
the outlet and drill downward.

Instead of drilling one large hole, I would drill 2 or 3 smaller holes
(Maybe 5/8" or 3/4") close together and drill them out to make a slot. I
encounter this problem from time to time. If you can get a good idea where
the wall is from below, You can set the drill bit a little further back and
drill at an angle. When the bit finally pentrates at the other end it
should be inside of the wall cavity. I normally use a self feeding nail
eating auger bit at low speed.

anews.com...

Proch wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

whats the OPs project?

if its to install say a switch, use a electricians drill bit, with a
extension they can go a long ways.

or cut a outlet box size hole in wall, use electricians bit to go
down, and do whatever you need.

then install a outlet if it could be useful. I added a couple here for
this reason that get used a LOT.

or just put in a box and blank plate, no drywall repair needed.

did that once too, it saved time

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
whats the OPs project?

if its to install say a switch, use a electricians drill bit, with a
extension they can go a long ways.

or cut a outlet box size hole in wall, use electricians bit to go
down, and do whatever you need.

then install a outlet if it could be useful. I added a couple here for
this reason that get used a LOT.

or just put in a box and blank plate, no drywall repair needed.

did that once too, it saved time

If he was just going to pull a 14/2 Romex through I would have suggested
cutting the hole in the wall and drill down with a long flexible bit.
However he wants to pull a VGA plug into the wall which requires a much
bigger opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

An auger bit which terminates in a hexagonal shaft as do most of the
ones used by plumbes and electricians, or a multispur bit. Drive the
bit by hand with a socket wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

An auger bit which terminates in a hexagonal shaft as do most of the
ones used by plumbes and electricians, or a multispur bit. Drive the
bit by hand with a socket wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

MUCH SNIPPED

If he was just going to pull a 14/2 Romex through I would have suggested
cutting the hole in the wall and drill down with a long flexible bit.
However he wants to pull a VGA plug into the wall which requires a much
bigger opening.

Actually, thinking about this more, it does not require a bigger hole.

Take honking long cable with VGA plugs.

Cut off one end of cable, with plug and about 6 inches of cable attached
to plug.

Drill mall diamter hole

Pull cable putting cut end of cale ito hole.

After pulling cable, get a VGA plg (Fry's, Rat Shack, etc) and solder
new plug
onto cable end. You have the cut off cable nd and old VGA plug to use as
a "pattern" so that you get orect wire color onto correct pin in VGA socket.

I've re dne VGA plugs on mnitor cables in precisely this way before.
It ain't rocket science.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:46:17 -0500, "Proch"
wrote:

I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

A right-angle attachment is what you need. Woodcraft has a
heavy-duty model for about $22 and I'm sure you can find smaller ones
elsewhere, probably for less. This attachment can come in handy for
other future jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Proch" wrote:

I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

What size hole do you need? .45 or .38 by any chance? I've done it

Posted to alt.home.repair

What part of the OP's message didn't you understand when he said he needed
to drill a 1" hole?

Also to OP, no need to buy a drill, why not rent one?
"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Proch" wrote:

I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4,
yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due
to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill?
I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle
drills
that I see at the local stores.

What size hole do you need? .45 or .38 by any chance? I've done it

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Brown wrote:

What part of the OP's message didn't you understand when he said he needed
to drill a 1" hole?

More importantly, what part of the OPs series messages didn't you read?

The OP is trying to pass a VGA connector device down the hole.

Thats like insisting that a hole for 14/2 romex pass the wiring device,
i.e. the receptical or switch. Foolish, at best.

The real solution is to drill a much smaller diameter hole, pass VGA cable
( 9 condictor, IIRC) and then solder the VGA connectors onto the cable
after the cable is run between floors.

Duuuh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:54:31 -0800, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Doug Brown wrote:

What part of the OP's message didn't you understand when he said he needed
to drill a 1" hole?

More importantly, what part of the OPs series messages didn't you read?

The OP is trying to pass a VGA connector device down the hole.

Thats like insisting that a hole for 14/2 romex pass the wiring device,
i.e. the receptical or switch. Foolish, at best.

The real solution is to drill a much smaller diameter hole, pass VGA cable
( 9 condictor, IIRC)

There's actually 15 pins on the connectors, but some may be unused.

Anyway, it's going to be hard to solder to the middle row of pins.

and then solder the VGA connectors onto the cable
after the cable is run between floors.

Duuuh.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

SNIP

There's actually 15 pins on the connectors, but some may be unused.

Anyway, it's going to be hard to solder to the middle row of pins.

No, not really. Done it at least a dozen times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Doug Brown" wrote:

What part of the OP's message didn't you understand when he said he needed
to drill a 1" hole?

What size hole do you need? .45 or .38 by any chance? I've done it

Did I limit him to ONE shot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low clearance drilling: CONCLUSION

In the end, I bought a right angle attachment from Sears for $20, and a 1.5"
Hole saw bit. Together, it was about a tight squeeze to start, but fit well
and worked out perfectly. I had to stop every half inch and use a flat head
screw driver to pry out the cylinders that were created by the hole saw, as
the saw 'cup' only had something close to an inch of depth. Thanks to
whomever mentioned the hole saw bit.

Some questioned the thickness that I was drilling, the reason isn't only
because the thickest thing that I wanted to pass was a VGA, but in the end
I'm going to have a Coax cable, 3 cat 6 ethernet, USB, RCA audio, VGA, 2
speaker cables and who knows what else all passing through there - so I
wanted to make the hole as big as I reasonably could.

Thanks to all for your input.

. ..