Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is 6" recessed light actually 6"?

I am going to replace some of my existing recessed lights, and when I took
one off and measured the knock out hole, it is exactly 7" in diameter. I
thought that means I have a 7" housing but when I visited various web sites
and looked at their 6" lights, most of them have a diameter larger than 6",
may be 6.25", or 6.5"...is there anyway to ensure that the housing will fit?
I don't want to have to enlarge the hole because those are all T4 plywood
soffit.

If a 6" housing can measure different diameters, I guess it follows that
trims and housings of the same size may not match up?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am going to replace some of my existing recessed lights, and when I took
one off and measured the knock out hole, it is exactly 7" in diameter. I
thought that means I have a 7" housing but when I visited various web sites
and looked at their 6" lights, most of them have a diameter larger than 6",
may be 6.25", or 6.5"...is there anyway to ensure that the housing will
fit? I don't want to have to enlarge the hole because those are all T4
plywood soffit.

If a 6" housing can measure different diameters, I guess it follows that
trims and housings of the same size may not match up?

MC

You need to find what manufacturer made the fixtures. Everyone uses
different measurements and socket arrangements etc. Something should be
printed inside the trim or housing, or take a picture of the thing and post
it

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

I checked and there is no mark inside the housing, it's pretty corroded and
it's 35 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Try taking the sample to some electric supply companies or lighting
showrooms to match it up. In the Halo catalog the actual dimensions of the
housing are published. If you can, take a picture of the inside and outside
of the fixture and post it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am going to replace some of my existing recessed lights, and when I
took one off and measured the knock out hole, it is exactly 7" in
diameter. I thought that means I have a 7" housing but when I
visited various web sites and looked at their 6" lights, most of them
have a diameter larger than 6", may be 6.25", or 6.5"...is there
anyway to ensure that the housing will fit? I don't want to have to
enlarge the hole because those are all T4 plywood soffit.

If a 6" housing can measure different diameters, I guess it follows
that trims and housings of the same size may not match up?

I bought a salami at Sam's this week. It was labeled "Yard of Beef" but was
only 18" long.

When I asked about this discrepancy at the check-out counter, the clerk
said: "It's a short three feet."

Didn't that line come from the movie "The Night They Invented Burlesque?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

OK I examined the lights one by one and finally found one that has a sticker
in it that is still barely legible.

It says:

AT Lite Lighting Equipment
E-15522
Underwriters Laboratory, Inc.

I went to www.ul.com and there is such a company but they don't seem to sell
lights.

I have about 34 of these under my soffit eaves that need to be replaced.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Atlite is the company that invented the "hi hat". They're from Long Island,
NY and have been bought by Cooper, I believe. They're really old stuff is
not compatible with any other brand, however newer models were functionally
identical to Lightolier 1000 and 1100 series recessed fixtures. If you can
pull a trim and post a picture we could give more info

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Here is their online catalog: It appears that these days their selling
mostly commercial lighting and Halo brand,(another Cooper brand) clones. If
you scroll down past the exit and emergency lighting you'll find some older
and original Atlite stuff. Listed under specialty, they list a couple of hi
hats:

http://www.atlite-lighting.com/commo...te_Catalog.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

I had a customer last year with a problem with two of her low voltage Atlite
recessed lights. They were identical to the Halo H99 low voltage. It was a
lot easier to order parts for Halo then it was for Atlite even though they
are both owned by Cooper. One thing I found out is that the Atlite models
are cheaper than the Halo's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

That's the same deal with their A149 , which is identical to Lightolier
1105. Twenty years ago the Lightolier trim cost about $25 and the Atlite $10

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Wow RBM you are the man, I see the light now, literally.

I have like 40 of these cans on the outside that needs replacement or
repair, I will check their catalog and see what they have. I did not know
they invented recessed lights. I believe these lights were installed in
1972, so they lasted 35 years is not bad.

MC