Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dealing with contactors' honest mistakes

Hi,

What's a good way to approach the situation where the contactor
overlooked something. I understand that a contractor cannot foresee
everything and that some unfortunate things will happen.

In my situation, the contractor put an outlet where it will become
inaccessible after a wall heating unit is mounted. The contractor was
familiar with the unit before the job was started. The wall is now
finished and painted and the whole thing just looks wrong.

It hard for me to imagine that the contractor would be willing to open
a small section the wall up, remove the electrical box and put in
another in a more appropriate place, retape and repaint. What can I do
here? Insist that he does it?

Also, in a situation like this, can the contractor say "well, you
didn't notice it either and you even told me you liked it's location".

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Did he know in advance about the location of heating unit? Or did you
give him blue print? If not, to me it's your mistake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

He knew the exact location of the heater
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

If the location was chosen by verbal description, I'd just ask him to
relocate it and pay whatever he bills you. If it was chosen by markings on
an accurate blueprint, he should accept the cost of the mistake
If it was my job. I spend a lot of time understanding exactly what the
customer wants. Some customers are deliberately vague, and I wouldn't touch
those jobs, but an isolated mistake, I would just eat the cost without
question

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
He knew the exact location of the heater

Did he know where the outlet needed to be located for "that" heater? Did he
ask?, did you give him the specific information he needed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

why remove the existing one? if it wouldnt cause a problem forget
about it...........

just install a new outlet at the better location.

the cost of labor to recover a cheap outlet just isnt worth it.

I have my own office machine service business, wierd stuff comes up.
its easiest to just eat the cost and move on............

for me its a no brainer
Posted to alt.home.repair

No problem... Just show him the blueprints and point out the error
the electrical contractor made.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:28*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

I have to disagree on this one. If it was clearly verbally
communicated and he put it in the wrong place, then the contractor
should correct it at his expense. That would be my opening postiion.
And I certainly wouldn't approach it by saying just do the re-work and
bill me whatever it costs. If you do have to pay for it, you want
the price set upfront. Don't make a second mistake.

Of course the problem is if it's not in writing, then it can be
difficult to prove who said what. Fortunately, what you're looking
at, adding another outlet, should be a relatively inexpensive fix.

If it was chosen by markings on
an accurate blueprint, he should accept the cost of the mistake
If it was my job. I spend a lot of time understanding exactly what the
customer wants. Some customers are deliberately vague, and I wouldn't touch
those jobs, but an isolated mistake, I would just eat the cost without
question- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:20 am, wrote:
On Feb 20, 7:28 am, "RBM" wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

If I was the contractor, I'd move it without question. Oops I'd say
and move on. Generally a new outlet can be set up with fairly minimal
disturbance to the sheetrock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

OP here. It was a verbal communication. I asked for an outlet on that
side of the vanity. The exact location of the hydronic heater was
decided upon at the same time. What the contractor knew but didn't
acount for is the fact that the heater will project 4.5" from the
wall. By the way, here's the pictu http://freeboundaries.com/heater.jpg.

BTW, I totally agree with the poster who disagreed. A clear verbal
communication must be sufficient.

If you'd like to know how the story ended, when I pointed out what
happended to the contractor, he said: "Oh, how did we miss that. Let
me move it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
why remove the existing one? if it wouldnt cause a problem forget
about it...........

If the outlet will be inaccesable after the radiator is installed, wouldn't
leaving it live be a code violation?
--
Peace,
BobJ

just install a new outlet at the better location.

the cost of labor to recover a cheap outlet just isnt worth it.

I have my own office machine service business, wierd stuff comes up.
its easiest to just eat the cost and move on............

for me its a no brainer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:04*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

OP here. It was a verbal communication. I asked for an outlet on that
side of the vanity. The exact location of the hydronic heater was
decided upon at the same time. What the contractor *knew but didn't
acount for is the fact that the heater will project 4.5" from the
wall. By the way, here's the pictuhttp://freeboundaries.com/heater.jpg.

BTW, I totally agree with the poster who disagreed. A clear verbal
communication must be sufficient.

If you'd like to know how the story ended, when I pointed out what
happended to the contractor, he said: "Oh, how did we miss that. Let
me move it."

So why did you post about it? Per the times on the posts, your
original was long after normal business hours and this one is probably
prior to opening.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried talking to him? My hvac guy didn't connect the uptube from
the dryer to the rain cap that went through the roof. The roof was nearly
flat, so the only way to fix it was to open up the sheetrock on the ceiling.
I told him that I'd have the drywall guy do it on his pickup list. He said,
no, he screwed up, and he'd fix it. Opened it up, put in the pipe, fixed
the drywall, and painted it. No extra charge. I live in a part of the
country in a rural area where this is common to get and keep business. It
may be different where you are. But talking is the first step. Moving a
box is really no big deal.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry, perhaps google tags it with the Pacific time zone. I posted it
at about 10am. So there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:42�pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

when you have a business fixing the wierd stuff that happens is a part
of doing business.

for minor costs it just easier, and helps your reputation and referal
business
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Harry, perhaps google tags it with the Pacific time zone. I posted it
at about 10am. So there.

I live in extreme SW Utah. For some reason, it posts me at the wrong time.
Do I care?

Others seem to, and I just tell them to go back to the doctor until they get
some medicine that works.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 3:50*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Harry, perhaps google tags it with the Pacific time zone. I posted it
at about 10am. So there.

I live in extreme SW Utah. *For some reason, it posts me at the wrong time.
Do I care?

Others seem to, and I just tell them to go back to the doctor until they get
some medicine that works.

Steve

Odd. Google shows it as 9:50 pm. Of course I jsut got a new 'puter
with 'Vista' on it so nothing surprises me...ooops I take that back.
It surprises me that it works at all.

Harry K