Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Motion Sensor Heads

I'm looking to get a replacement Motion Sensor head for my flood lights.
They are a cheap brand and an electrician told me to find a replacement head
since I'm having problems with the current one. I can only find the cheap
$20 Cooper/Regent or Heath-Zeneth heads around. Does anyone know of a
better brand that is available?

--
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saucer Man" wrote in message
news
I'm looking to get a replacement Motion Sensor head for my flood lights.
They are a cheap brand and an electrician told me to find a replacement
head since I'm having problems with the current one. I can only find the
cheap $20 Cooper/Regent or Heath-Zeneth heads around. Does anyone know of
a better brand that is available?

--
Thanks.

I would recommend the H-Z units sold by www.grainger.com, they're not sold
under the H-Z name, and resemble the ones sold by Home Depot, but are much
better quality. They also have higher wattage units if you need them

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saucer Man" wrote in message
news
I'm looking to get a replacement Motion Sensor head for my flood lights.
They are a cheap brand and an electrician told me to find a replacement
head since I'm having problems with the current one. I can only find the
cheap $20 Cooper/Regent or Heath-Zeneth heads around. Does anyone know of
a better brand that is available?

In Addition to what RBM said, you could go to an electrical supply company
to get a different brand. I have been using the Rab brand for a few years
now. They cost around $60.00.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok. I'm gonna go out and see if I can find one of those Heath-Zeneth by
Granger or a Rab brand. They're kind of expensive but hopefully they won't
turn on when I turn off other switches in my house!

--
Thanks.

"KLS" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:07:32 -0500, wrote:

Of those two the Heath/Zenith is the best. I have about 20 around the
house of various brands and styles, inside and out. The Heaths hold up
fairly well if you keep them out of the sun. Direct sun will kill any
of them.

I second this recommendation for Heath: we've got one outside on the
garage facing north that doesn't get direct sun, and it's pretty old.
It must be at least 11 years old and works just great, very responsive
to motion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saucer Man wrote:

Ok. I'm gonna go out and see if I can find one of those Heath-Zeneth by
Granger or a Rab brand. They're kind of expensive but hopefully they won't
turn on when I turn off other switches in my house!

Hmmm,
I have an El Cheapo in my garage which is ~14 years old. It has
adjustment for sensitivity, time delay to go off. I screwed in two
LED lamps. This thing will last LONG time. Only thing I hate about this
thing is it comes on and stays on if power fail. occurs, I have to turn
the breaker feeding it off/on to reset it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What exactly is a dip and what would cause it? How can I check for them?

--
Thanks.

wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:49:53 -0500, "Saucer Man"
wrote:

Ok. I'm gonna go out and see if I can find one of those Heath-Zeneth by
Granger or a Rab brand. They're kind of expensive but hopefully they
won't
turn on when I turn off other switches in my house!

If you have electrical problems that cause "dips" in the line you will
get false trips ... on any detector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ok. I'm gonna go out and see if I can find one of those Heath-Zeneth by
Granger or a Rab brand. They're kind of expensive but hopefully they
won't
turn on when I turn off other switches in my house!

If you have electrical problems that cause "dips" in the line you will
get false trips ... on any detector.

Low voltage fluctuations. Here is a link to the H-Z models sold by Grainger.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetails.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ok. I'm gonna go out and see if I can find one of those Heath-Zeneth by
Granger or a Rab brand. They're kind of expensive but hopefully they
won't
turn on when I turn off other switches in my house!

If you have electrical problems that cause "dips" in the line you will
get false trips ... on any detector.

Low voltage fluctuations. Here is a link to the H-Z models sold by
Grainger. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetails.shtml

Or not: just google 4VW87 and you'll find the page. They cost $25

Posted to alt.home.repair

I received the Grainger version of the H-Z replacement sensor. It solved my
problem. With the Regent sensor, if I operated my garage light switch or my
laundry room light switch, the motion light went on. With the H-Z, they
don't go on. Thanks again!

--
Thanks.