Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar heating panel installation photos

I've put up a web page with photos taken during installation of a
pair of passive solar heating panels at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SC_Madison/

These two panels use neither fuel nor electricity, and keep the
building "shirtsleeve comfortable" through the winter.

Something to think about if/when your heating costs begin to get
out of hand...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Feb 18, 5:20�pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
I've put up a web page with photos taken during installation of a
pair of passive solar heating panels at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SC_Madison/

These two panels use neither fuel nor electricity, and keep the
building "shirtsleeve comfortable" through the winter.

Something to think about if/when your heating costs begin to get
out of hand...

depends a lot on local conditions, in pittsburgh with are gloomy days,
the sun doesnt do much espically when the outdoor temperature is zero
degrees.

Weather _does_ make a difference, and although I haven't tracked
Pittsburgh's weather this winter, I can assure you that we've had
our share of gloomy and chilly days (-10 to 20F) here in Iowa
this year.

A really good solar panel (_any_ really good panel, not just
mine) will deliver significant amounts of heat even in complete
overcast conditions.

nice building

Agreed - Gary (the owner) seems pleased with the way it turned
out.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:20:27 -0500, Morris Dovey
wrote:

I've put up a web page with photos taken during installation of a
pair of passive solar heating panels at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SC_Madison/

These two panels use neither fuel nor electricity, and keep the
building "shirtsleeve comfortable" through the winter.

Do not park cars in there!

Why? The owner parks his cars in an attached (to his house)
garage. He erected this building to have a place for his pickup,
do woodworking, and do equipment maintenance.

Something to think about if/when your heating costs begin to get
out of hand...

I use a pool solar heater...

Interesting. Got pix? I suspect people could learn from your
experiences if you put 'em on a web page with a bit of how-to
info.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've put up a web page with photos taken during installation of a
pair of passive solar heating panels at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SC_Madison/

These two panels use neither fuel nor electricity, and keep the
building "shirtsleeve comfortable" through the winter.

Do not park cars in there!

Something to think about if/when your heating costs begin to get
out of hand...

I use a pool solar heater..

* by Airman 1st Class Ryan Whitney
Nellis AFB Public Affairs

12/18/2007 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- The U.S. Air Force
celebrated the completion of North America's largest solar
photovoltaic system with a ceremony at Nellis AFB, Dec. 17.
http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123079933
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Just a sample, not my house...
http://www.solarexpert.com/images16/FG-pool-solar.jpg

Nice setup for either pool or hot water, but not the terribly
good design for space heating.

I have to admit that I could enjoy some of that SoCal weather
here just about now. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've put up a web page with photos taken during installation of a
pair of passive solar heating panels at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SC_Madison/

These two panels use neither fuel nor electricity, and keep the
building "shirtsleeve comfortable" through the winter.

Do not park cars in there!

Why? The owner parks his cars in an attached (to his house)
garage. He erected this building to have a place for his pickup,
do woodworking, and do equipment maintenance.

Vehicles clutter up that fine building!

Something to think about if/when your heating costs begin to get
out of hand...

I use a pool solar heater...

Interesting. Got pix? I suspect people could learn from your
experiences if you put 'em on a web page with a bit of how-to
info.

Just a sample, not my house...
http://www.solarexpert.com/images16/FG-pool-solar.jpg
--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:43:23 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

Nice setup for either pool or hot water, but not the terribly
good design for space heating.

Space heat this- Air Force
http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123079933

Like, I mentioned... solar

"estimated to save the Air Force $1 million annually"
--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:43:23 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

Nice setup for either pool or hot water, but not the terribly
good design for space heating.

Space heat this- Air Force
http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123079933

Like, I mentioned... solar

"estimated to save the Air Force $1 million annually"
--
Oren

Oren:

Have you seen the BIG one down below Eldorado Dry Lake on the way to
Searchlight? HUGE, HUGE, HUGE. Next time you go to Laughlin, check it out.
Or just go for a short drive to Railroad Pass and take the road to Laughlin.
Just past the dry lake on the right. I am not sure if it is PV, or if they
are using parabolic heaters and a superheated brine solution like they were
talking about doing at the Nevada Test Site. It's BIG. A lot bigger than
the one at Nellis. I drove past there just a few days ago, and didn't see
it. But then, you can't see a lot of the base from the highway.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Oren wrote:

Just a sample, not my house...
http://www.solarexpert.com/images16/FG-pool-solar.jpg

Nice setup for either pool or hot water, but not the terribly
good design for space heating.

I have to admit that I could enjoy some of that SoCal weather
here just about now. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

Having a new one installed in our vacation rental on Monday. $3700! The
old one (4) years was made of rubber tubing, and rotted. Oh, well. This
new one is flat mat and a new kind of material. Latest and greatest. Seems
I heard that before. Just in time for the lengthening days and swimming!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

That's a nice set up. I was wondering how you shut the panels down for the
summer?

They're controlled by earth's axial tilt. In summer, the light is
reflected to the ground in front of the panel.

As winter approaches and the sun appears lower in the sky, the
panels "turn on" - and in areas where there's snow cover, the
amount of heat produced can almost double as the panels absorb
snow-reflected energy.

In summer, some energy will still be collected due to open-sky
radiation and reflection from terrestrial objects, and the panels
can be shut down completely by installing an opaque cover.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:43:23 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

Nice setup for either pool or hot water, but not the terribly
good design for space heating.

Space heat this- Air Force
http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123079933

Like, I mentioned... solar

Good to know that our tax dollars are taking care of /somebody's/
electrical needs. I'm tempted to ask how long before the AF
announces its line-up of rechargable aircraft...

Hmm - is base housing electrically heated?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar