Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many fluorescent light fixtures?

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:36:25 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

Any idea how to determine how many fluorescent light fixtures I need to lit
a garage 22'x22'x8'H?

I am thinking of getting this:

http://www.lightmart.com/index.asp?P...D&ProdID=19062

Parabolic Surface Troffer 18 CELL 3x32 T8

I wonder if I need 2 or 4 or more of these...any thoughts?

Thanks,

MC

As you might guess, it depends on what you intend to do in this
garage. If it's fine detailed work such as engine restoration or body
repair, you're going to need *a lot* more light than if you're just
parking the car. Note that a typical office space illuminated to
about 50 foot candles might require a three tube T8 fixture about
every sixty-four square feet which, based on the size of your garage,
suggests eight fixtures (in the case of a drafting office, you could
double or even triple that). Note too that parabolic troffers, while
well suited for office environments where glare control is critical,
are a poor choice for this type of application and especially at your
ceiling height.

Without knowing anything about your particular requirements, I might
recommend a good quality two tube surface mount fixture with a wrap
around prismatic lens; they're an inexpensive option that would likely
better serve your needs (much higher fixture efficiency, better light
distribution and acceptable surface glare). I would likely go with a
total of eight, with two rows of four positioned a few feet in from
the exterior wall, running parallel with the length of the car(s). If
you have a work bench, add two or more fixtures (ideally, fitted with
industrial style reflectors) parralel with the bench. Paint all
surfaces white for maximum light reflection and go with a good quality
fluorescent tube that is 5,000 K or 6,500 K in colour temperature
(closer to daylight).

If there are two vehicles and you will be performing visually critical
work, I might add a third centre row or at least make provisions for
such. Multiple switching is important so that you can adjust light
levels based on your changing requirements or the specific task at
hand. And if you think this sounds like an excessive amount of light,
take a look at various commercial garages/service bays and count the
number of fixtures in place; it will probably come in much higher than
you expect.

Cheers,
Paul