Posted to alt.home.repair
jc jc is offline

Default concrete resurfacing

Hello.

Old house here. Front driveway and back porch are poured concrete with
with some cracks. in the back we have a cheesy tile.

We are looking to resurface or replace with something more natural.

Any option to pour over something that looks like natural stone? If
so, how do they deal with cracks? How thick would he pour over have to
be?

Thanks for any help or information.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 4:25�pm, jc wrote:
Hello.

Old house here. Front driveway and back porch are poured concrete with
with some �cracks. in the back we have a cheesy tile.

We are looking to resurface or replace with something more natural.

Any option to pour over something that looks like natural stone? If
so, how do they deal with cracks? How thick would he pour over have to
be?

Thanks for any help or information.

remove and replace, the cracks are caused by base failure. whatever
you coat with will just crack again at the same locations.

any topcoating is a temporary fix
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 5:09 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:25�pm, jc wrote:

Hello.

Old house here. Front driveway and back porch are poured concrete with
with some �cracks. in the back we have a cheesy tile.

We are looking to resurface or replace with something more natural.

Any option to pour over something that looks like natural stone? If
so, how do they deal with cracks? How thick would he pour over have to
be?

Thanks for any help or information.

remove and replace, the cracks are caused by base failure. whatever
you coat with will just crack again at the same locations.

any topcoating is a temporary fix

Actually that's a great idea to remove and replace. When you do,
think about brick. Red, yellow, brown, gray...it depends on your
surroundings and what would go best with the house. But, it's not as
hard as you think. Have the bricks delivered. Take a deep breath.
And do one brick at a time. You'll be finished before you know it and
it will look great. Jessica
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 16, 4:25*pm, jc wrote:
Hello.

Old house here. Front driveway and back porch are poured concrete with
with some *cracks. in the back we have a cheesy tile.

We are looking to resurface or replace with something more natural.

Any option to pour over something that looks like natural stone? If
so, how do they deal with cracks? How thick would he pour over have to
be?

Thanks for any help or information.

Look into the flatwork people in your area who can do stamped
concrete. They might be able to pour right over the existing concrete
and give you a nice look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 9:22�pm, Pat wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:25�pm, jc wrote:

Hello.

Old house here. Front driveway and back porch are poured concrete with
with some �cracks. in the back we have a cheesy tile.

We are looking to resurface or replace with something more natural.

Any option to pour over something that looks like natural stone? If
so, how do they deal with cracks? How thick would he pour over have to
be?

Thanks for any help or information.

Look into the flatwork people in your area who can do stamped
concrete. �They might be able to pour right over the existing concrete
and give you a nice look.

the base is way more important than the finish coat..... wether the
finish is asphalt, concrete or brick.

another trouble with adding a layer like asphalt is drainage and stuff
being too high.

do it right, do it once, then relax........

if you cut corners you will be doing it again

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , jc wrote:
Hello.

Old house here. Front driveway and back porch are poured concrete with
with some cracks. in the back we have a cheesy tile.

We are looking to resurface or replace with something more natural.

Any option to pour over something that looks like natural stone? If
so, how do they deal with cracks? How thick would he pour over have to
be?

Google "decorative concrete" to find a slew of products
and services.

The trouble is... it's really, really hard to figure out
which of these solutions is going to prove durable. Sadly,
many installations fail within a few years leaving you with
a sorry mess.

Many of the systems are not available on a DIY basis and
others aren't really suitable. There are lots of scams too
liky epoxy systems that are *way* overpriced and pretend
to be hugely more durable than basic chemistry would allow.

I've almost given up hope of finding a suitable coating
or finish for my front porch which needs something.

Maybe you can find a local contractor with some expertise.
Don't bother with them unless they've been in business for
a decade or more and have tons of references. Since your
job is a lot more substantial than mine, you might be
able to find an up-scale contractor that does more
commercial work than residential -- you can certainly
find some good quality coatings installed in large
hotels, public buildings and the like. Of course, it
won't be cheap.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 16, 9:27Â*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:22�pm, Pat wrote:

On Feb 16, 4:25�pm, jc wrote:

Hello.

Old house here. Front driveway and back porch are poured concrete with
with some �cracks. in the back we have a cheesy tile.

We are looking to resurface or replace with something more natural.

Any option to pour over something that looks like natural stone? If
so, how do they deal with cracks? How thick would he pour over have to
be?

Thanks for any help or information.

Look into the flatwork people in your area who can do stamped
concrete. �They might be able to pour right over the existing concrete
and give you a nice look.

the base is way more important than the finish coat..... wether the
finish is asphalt, concrete or brick.

another trouble with adding a layer like asphalt is drainage and stuff
being too high.

do it right, do it once, then relax........

if you cut corners you will be doing it again- Hide quoted text -

I haven't seen the site and I doubt you have either. If it's just
light cracking, you can pour over it. But in any case, the OP
mentioned the possibility of replacing and having it look like
stone. In that instance, stamped concrete would work just fine. If
the OP is looking at options, stamped concrete would be one, and as I
suggested, contacting a qualified contractor would be in his/her best
interest.