Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT, but about cars. Is this true?

Someone wrote me:
But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on
when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with
the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed
making you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was
exactly what had occurred.

It seems to me that the cruise control doesn't know how fast you are
going but it does know how fast the drive wheels are spinning and if
you lose traction, they will start to spin faster, and the cruise will
let off the accelerator umtil the tires slow down.

With almost no traction, as in hydroplaning, (which the cruise control
will see as equivalent to going down a steep hill, where gravity
cancels out drag) won't the engine speed have to drop dramatically,
perhaps all the way to idling? And it won't go up again until the car
regains traction.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's
seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS
WET OR ICY,

I will admit, that iirc, I don't use cruise on wet or icy pavement,
but that is because I want full control of the car and think I can
take my foot off the accelerator quicker than the cruise (which might
not even be true. Which do you think is faster in decelerating, me or
the cruise?), but I still don't think the cruise will make the car
accelerate.

along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to
set the cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell
them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry.
The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the
patrolman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car
and sustained severe injuries.
If you send this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about
this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life.
NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not

Anyone know anything about this car. The post** seems like a hoax,
but hoax writers often put in stuff like this to make it sound real.

**Well, actually the email I got had a lot of stuff in it, totally
unrelated, nor related to cars or safety. And from a good guy who got
it from a good guy, from a very good guy. I think someone was
suckered.

allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are
on.

I found one page that says the car has wiper warmers, but didn't say
anything about wipers and cruise. (although it would be harder to
notice)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

I will admit, that iirc, I don't use cruise on wet or icy pavement,
but that is because I want full control of the car and think I can
take my foot off the accelerator quicker than the cruise (which might
not even be true. Which do you think is faster in decelerating, me or
the cruise?), but I still don't think the cruise will make the car
accelerate.

Taking your foot ***completely*** off the accelerator at a time like that is
usually the WORST thing to do. The vehicle's already out of control, and
adding sudden new variables can make things worse. The thing to do is learn
how to keep the car aimed in a safe direction, if possible, and drive out of
the problem.

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very far
from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Taking your foot ***completely*** off the accelerator at a time like that
is usually the WORST thing to do. The vehicle's already out of control,
and adding sudden new variables can make things worse. The thing to do is
learn how to keep the car aimed in a safe direction, if possible, and
drive out of the problem.

Correct in most every case.

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very far
from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

I use it all the time in light rain and when dry, but far less than the mile
you state. Both my cars have traction control or stability control and the
cruise control gets knocked off at the slightest hint of wheel slip. Not
every car has that. ESC is really nifty. I was playing in the snow in our
parking lot at work and it gives amazing control in slippery conditions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 12:55�pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

at least my old car the cruise control speed was monitored by a
gearbox in the speedmoter cable. i know because the gearbox failed and
my speedometer went to zero
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

Because I'm the world's best non-professional driver, the following doesn't
apply to me: I'm convinced that on wide open highways with very little
traffic, cruise control lulls people into a mental state similar to watching
late night television when you know you really should just go to bed. So,
people think they're being good drivers, but in fact, they're not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:
Someone wrote me:
But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on
when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with
the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed

That is physically impossible. Think about it: if the tires no longer have
contact with the pavement, they *cannot* accellerate the car. They'll just sit
there and spin. Undoubtedly, the *indicated* speed on the speedometer will
increase, but equally certainly, the *actual* speed will decrease slightly.

making you take off like an airplane.

Also physically impossible.

She told the patrolman that was
exactly what had occurred.

While that might have *seemed* to have happened, it is not possible that it
actually did.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 1:27�pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , mm wrote:
Someone wrote me:
But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on
when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with
the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed

That is physically impossible. Think about it: if the tires no longer have
contact with the pavement, they *cannot* accellerate the car. They'll just sit
there and spin. Undoubtedly, the *indicated* speed on the speedometer will
increase, but equally certainly, the *actual* speed will decrease slightly..

making you take off like an airplane.

Also physically impossible.

She told the patrolman that was
exactly what had occurred.

While that might have *seemed* to have happened, it is not possible that it
actually did.

--
Regards,
� � � � Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

well cruise controls work on oe basic safety idea, anything wierd
happens and the driver will go for brakes. just touch them and cruise
is turned off.

I use cruise only on wide open roads with little traffic, never in bad
or rainey weather or much traffic at all.

i too believe people can get lulled into a false dream like state.

its a known fact called highway hypnosis
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Hi,
They are motor vehicle operators not drivers. Driver is the one who is
in control of his/her vehicle at all times regardless of road and
weather condition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:
Someone wrote me:
[...]

its a known fact called highway hypnosis- Hide quoted text -

Isn't this the problem that caused the accident that caused Ed Smith,
well known Newfoundland columnist and educator to be involved in a
very serious and near fatal accident several years ago.

He is now a paraplegic and uses a special computer to 'write' and
communicate?

Seem to recall that comment after that accident included advice to
'never to use cruise control on icy slippery/roads'.

The fact that cruise control was was engaged at the time appeared to
have contributed to, if not caused, vehicle to become uncontrollable
and drive off thr road.

Our vehicle has CC; don't like it and have never used it, under any
conditions.
If we ever did so it would be only in completely dry and open traffic
conditions.

I do know one person who disconnected their CC after a close call when
it did not disengage quickly or correctly!

Comment or correction welcomed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:

Someone wrote me:

[...]

Using CC on icy slippery road? He must be an big time idiot!!!! All 4
of my family vehicles has CC and they are all AWD, CC is only used on
straight open highways in summer time under normal weather condition.
Also if one really wants to control his/her vehicle, learn to use manual
shift and take some defensive driving course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

wrote:

Someone wrote me:

[...]

I took a defensive driving course once to shave a couple of points off my
license and save some insurance money. It was a waste of time. Most of the
attendees were there to bitch and complain about the cops who gave them
their last 3 tickets. What little information was presented involved things
any sentient being should be able to figure out after a year of driving.

6 months before my son got his learner's permit, I began indoctrinating him
into The One Correct Way (mine). It begins with understanding the following:

90% of drivers fall into one or more of the following categories:

1) They're dead. Actually, clinically dead. Their families haven't noticed
yet.
2) Completely blind. Not nearsighted or farsighted. Blind.
3) ****-face drunk
4) Too stupid to operate a spoon, not to mention a car
5) Left the house with full intent and a plan to kill you today, using their
car.
6) Oblivious to the existence of anything past their own hood.

My son initially thought I was exaggerating. His mother said I was arrogant.
After driving for two years, he told me I was wrong. The number is more like
98%. In his first month with a learner's permit, we spent at least 40 hours
in a huge, empty parking lot full of ice & snow. Next came the mind reading
lessons - spotting what the assholes around you are about to do before they
even know what they're going to do. The patterns are unmistakable because
most drivers are so stupid. Finally, I taught him how to control the space
around him by sending physical signals in various ways.

Now, if a cop ever asks him "Do you know how fast you were going?", he can
say "Officer, everything I do is perfectly planned ahead of time, because my
dad taught me the One Correct Way. When you're off duty, I'd be happy to
teach you so you'll be as good a driver as I am."

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

terry wrote:

....urban legend cruise control and ice/snow snipped...

Isn't this the problem that caused the accident that caused Ed Smith,
well known Newfoundland columnist and educator to be involved in a
very serious and near fatal accident several years ago.

No idea, but there's a decent discussion on Snopes of the absurdness of
the story about "accelerating" the car...

I've even seen it claimed the car accelerated after launching itself
into the air...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

wrote:

Someone wrote me:

[...]

I use cruise control quite a bit and can say that it -- and cell
phones -- significantly contribute to the SAFETY of driving.

I don't use it too much when I'm in suburban or urban areas, but in
rural and semi-rural areas it does quite a few good things. First
off, after setting it for a safe and reasonable speed, it allows you
to concentrate on what else is going on, not just the distance to the
next car and the speed limit. Second off, by allowing you to shift
focus, it keeps you much more attentive and doesn't tire you as much.
After 4 or 5 hours, fatigue is an issue.

What I find disturbing is that you think an extremely high percentage
of drivers are bad (and maybe unpredictable) but you're the one
sitting in the course trying to shave points off your license. The
vast majority of drivers don't have points on their licenses, like you
do. Maybe you ought to look within.

Stay safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Someone wrote me:

[...]

If I speed, there's a reason. Cops are entitled to their opinions. It's the
price I have to pay occasionally. I'm still the best non-professional driver
on earth. There is no debate possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very
far from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

OH PLEASE!

Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.

And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the text we
respond to. I fixed that for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"S. Barker" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very
far from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

OH PLEASE!

Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.

And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the text we
respond to. I fixed that for you.

Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"S. Barker" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very
far from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

OH PLEASE!

Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.

And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the text we
respond to. I fixed that for you.

Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.

And, there are too many things that can happen in the blink of an eye in the
city. There's no good reason to use CC in the city, and no possible way to
justify it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All three of mine will work at 25.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.

All three of mine will work at 25.

Doesn't matter. It shouldn't be used in close quarters. Nothing should come
between the driver and the controls, no matter how easy it is to disable.
There is no debate. You are not qualified to drive a car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
A google search

Leads to:
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...isecontrol.htm
True: The Truth
We checked with the departments of transportation for Minnesota, Wisconsin,
and Washington State as well as visiting several websites of other states
and the consensus is clear: Don't use cruise control during winter
conditions such as when it is snowing or icy or under other slippery
conditions such as when it is raining.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/w...comments/4093/

FALSE: "Should the car's tyres break traction with the road, such as in an
aquaplane situation, the increase in wheel speed would be sensed and the
cruise control system would then reduce the amount of throttle and maintain
the set speed. Additionally, cruise control systems are deactivated as soon
as the brake is applied. As braking is usually an automatic reaction in most
emergency situations, the scenario of cruise control causing an increase in
vehicle speed is highly unlikely."

Hi,
In real world, lot of things happen which logic can't explain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"S. Barker" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it.
You shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road,
and very far from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and
the next car.

OH PLEASE!

Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.

And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the
text we respond to. I fixed that for you.

Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.

And, there are too many things that can happen in the blink of an eye
in the city. There's no good reason to use CC in the city, and no
possible way to justify it.

I tend to agree. Typing from across The Pond where CC has not taken off. I
had great fun at first when I picked up a motor at LAX and used the CC
outside the city. 'Twas great to start with, then I became a zombie behind
the wheel with the dangers that that entails. Didn't bother with it again.
Also tried with a motor in the UKand found that I was too detached from what
was happening. Didn't use it again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:05:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"S. Barker" wrote in message
m...
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very
far from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

OH PLEASE!

Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.

And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the text we
respond to. I fixed that for you.

And don't forget to SNIP long quotes, so the reader can see there's
actual original material there. A bottom-posted reply after 100 lines
of quoted text is a lot worse than top-posting (note that I'd prefer
the bottom-post WITH SNIPPING).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam E" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:05:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"S. Barker" wrote in message
om...
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very
far from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

OH PLEASE!

Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.

And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the text we
respond to. I fixed that for you.

And don't forget to SNIP long quotes, so the reader can see there's
actual original material there. A bottom-posted reply after 100 lines
of quoted text is a lot worse than top-posting (note that I'd prefer
the bottom-post WITH SNIPPING).

CTRL-END is your friend.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"S. Barker" wrote in message
news:A9WdnXhJBrXw8SranZ2dnUVZ_t2inZ2d@giganews. com...

[...]

was happening. Didn't use it again!- Hide quoted text -

What are you all, a bunch of city slickers. Heck, where I live it's
10 miles to take my son to school. Cruise control is used by everyone
on the expressways cuz of the distances. So before you-all condem it,
realize that there are lots of different folks out there with
different driving situation. If you're driving 3 miles at 10 mph, you
probably don't need it. But I often drive 200 or 300 or 400 miles at
at time, so it definitely helps reduce the fatigue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.- Hide quoted text -

Every CC I have had (quite a few) all operated at 30 or less. Most at
less. My current Ford 500 is annoying in that it will hold 30 but no
below that.

I guess the OP must have a odd definition of "low speed"

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.-

Every CC I have had (quite a few) all operated at 30 or less. Most at
less. My current Ford 500 is annoying in that it will hold 30 but no
below that.

============

It's good that the Ford won't hold below 30. If you're going less than 30,
one of the following is true:

1) Traffic. That means close quarters. Your vehicle should not be controlled
by a computer.

2) Too old to drive. You should no longer own or drive a car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 9:41*am, mm wrote:
Someone wrote me:

But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on
when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with
the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed
making you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was
exactly what had occurred.

I haven't read Snopes but from the quotes in this thread it appears it
doesn't go far enough:

The truth about CC operation:

The system senses speed. It will have a detector of some sort on a
rotating part where the rpm of the part equates to wheel speed and
thus mph. Used to be a magnet on the drive shaft - don't know where
it is now, or what is used.

The system will do all in its power to maintain that part at that set
rpm.

Entering aquaplane all the system knows is that the part suddenly
increased rpm and manipulates the throttle to slow it down to the set
point, e.g., it will maintain that set rpm come hell or high water
unless something turns it off or the car crashes.

Thus the car "cannot take off like an airplane". Okay, that is about
the Snopes part.

Now. Why would anyone thing the car "takes off like...."

Simple. unless you are going downhill when it aquaplenes, the car
will _slow_ by some amount but the wheels will still be going at the
set speed. Car continues to slow a bit until traction is restored.
Thus you have the car going one speed but the wheels something faster.

Now just what happens when traction suddenly reappears?

CC opens to speed the car back up to the set point. The acceleration
can range from slight to WOT. Depending on how much the car slowed
during the episode it can easily give the sensation of "taking off
like....".
Thus it won't "take off...." but you can get that sensation.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clot" wrote in message
I tend to agree. Typing from across The Pond where CC has not taken off. I
had great fun at first when I picked up a motor at LAX and used the CC
outside the city. 'Twas great to start with, then I became a zombie behind
the wheel with the dangers that that entails. Didn't bother with it again.
Also tried with a motor in the UKand found that I was too detached from
what was happening. Didn't use it again!

I'm sorry to hear of your inability to pay attention while driving. Some of
us can use CC and keep our mind on what is going on around us.

On my way home from work I get onto the interstate for about 10 miles. I'm
on CC at 70 mph while still on the "on" ramp. It actually takes more effort
to do that, but it also keeps you focused on what is happening around you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:00:52 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I think I saw this on www.snopes.com

You're right!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp

But I don't think its criticism goes far enough. It spends a lot of
time saying not to use cruise on wet roads, and says that whoever
wrote this in the first place didn't understand cruise, but barely
addresses the false statements in the post I quoted.

But thanks, and thanks to all who replied.

BTW, I live in Baltimore, but if I have to go more than 15 miles on
the xway and it's not crowded, I'm likely to use cruise. Lulling me
hasn't been a problem. I feel I can give even more attention to the
road.

I liked the GM cruise better when all the controls were on the turn
signal, and the Chrysler cruise less when they are on the center of
the steering wheel. We'll see what the next car has.

I have had some accidents over the last 44 years, but none have been
at cruise speeds. All have been fender benders at low speeds. I
guess that's why I'm alive to type this.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:39:42 -0600, dpb wrote:

terry wrote:

...urban legend cruise control and ice/snow snipped...

Isn't this the problem that caused the accident that caused Ed Smith,
well known Newfoundland columnist and educator to be involved in a
very serious and near fatal accident several years ago.

No idea, but there's a decent discussion on Snopes of the absurdness of
the story about "accelerating" the car...

Maybe I didn't get that far.

I've even seen it claimed the car accelerated after launching itself
into the air...

That would only be after it lights its afterburners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.-

Every CC I have had (quite a few) all operated at 30 or less. *Most at
less. *My current Ford 500 is annoying in that it will hold 30 but no
below that.

============

It's good that the Ford won't hold below 30. If you're going less than 30,
one of the following is true:

1) Traffic. That means close quarters. Your vehicle should not be controlled
by a computer.

2) Too old to drive. You should no longer own or drive a car.

From your replies in this thread I would guess you are a geezer or at
least a 'nanny'. You apparently think that _your_ beliefs should be
imposed on everybody and I'll bet given the tone of your posts, you
would advocate 55 mph limits everyplace, 25 withing the incorporated
limits of any town no matter what the road is like, school zone
resdtrictions at 1 a.m. etc.

Just to inject a bit of reality into your life. I use CC in _light_
traffic so I can pay attention to what is going on around me vice
having to keep checking the speedo. You might try it sometimes.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:53:53 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"S. Barker" wrote in message
news:A9WdnXhJBrXw8SranZ2dnUVZ_t2inZ2d@giganews. com...
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

As far as the cruise control decelerating, never mind. Forget it. You
shouldn't be using cruise control on anything but a dry road, and very
far from other vehicles. Like, a mile between you and the next car.

OH PLEASE!

Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.

And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the text we
respond to. I fixed that for you.

And don't forget to SNIP long quotes, so the reader can see there's
actual original material there. A bottom-posted reply after 100 lines
of quoted text is a lot worse than top-posting (note that I'd prefer
the bottom-post WITH SNIPPING).

CTRL-END is your friend.

It's still better with a considerate poster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.-

Every CC I have had (quite a few) all operated at 30 or less. Most at
less. My current Ford 500 is annoying in that it will hold 30 but no
below that.

============

It's good that the Ford won't hold below 30. If you're going less than 30,
one of the following is true:

1) Traffic. That means close quarters. Your vehicle should not be
controlled
by a computer.

2) Too old to drive. You should no longer own or drive a car.

From your replies in this thread I would guess you are a geezer or at
least a 'nanny'. You apparently think that _your_ beliefs should be
imposed on everybody and I'll bet given the tone of your posts, you
would advocate 55 mph limits everyplace, 25 withing the incorporated
limits of any town no matter what the road is like, school zone
resdtrictions at 1 a.m. etc.

Just to inject a bit of reality into your life. I use CC in _light_
traffic so I can pay attention to what is going on around me vice
having to keep checking the speedo. You might try it sometimes.

Harry K

=================

I'm 54, and I'm a nanny to the exact same extent that you are.

And, you just told me you have trouble with multitasking. That's not a good
disability for a driver to have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tony Hwang wrote:

In real world, lot of things happen which logic can't explain.

But outside of religious miracles, things that defy basic physics don't...

The _indication_ of higher odometer speed can be true, but that's not at
all the same thing as actual higher ground speed. The sensation of
acceleration described by accident victims may well be true, but it's
the change in direction in virtually all cases more than the change in
actual speed that is the cause of their feeling of acceleration.

That in virtually all circumstances the loss of traction will result in
decreased input force to the road prevents speedup on level terrain is
simply a force balance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

6 months before my son got his learner's permit, I began indoctrinating him
into The One Correct Way (mine). It begins with understanding the following:

90% of drivers fall into one or more of the following categories:

1) They're dead. Actually, clinically dead. Their families haven't noticed
yet.
2) Completely blind. Not nearsighted or farsighted. Blind.
3) ****-face drunk
4) Too stupid to operate a spoon, not to mention a car
5) Left the house with full intent and a plan to kill you today, using their
car.
6) Oblivious to the existence of anything past their own hood.

My father's instructions were simpler; he said to drive as if 3/4 of the
drivers were crazy and the other 1/4 were homicidal. It's worked for 68
years