Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patio Question

I would like to put a brick paver patio in my backyard, and I have
done the research regarding the amount of aggregate and sand that
needs to be placed under the pavers to keep them stable. I figure I
will need to dig about 6 - 8" into the ground and begin layering my
aggregate etc.

Trouble is, I have a rather large pine tree right against the side of
one of the edges of the patio, and am not sure how deep I can dig
before hitting the roots. My guess is about 4" before hitting them.

Can I dig down the shallow and still put the required amount of
aggregate - which will bring the patio 4" above grade. I can easily
put more soil around the edges to "smooth" out the difference to make
it look aesthetically pleasing. But I am not sure if this will
present issues with freezing during the winter.

Looking for some advice!

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 9:48�am, "
wrote:
[...]

it will cause heaving etc..........

best to keep the patio well away from tree.

besides aggragate tends to be basic rather than acidic which can harm
or kill tree.

pine is acid loving