Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this thing?

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

Does the doorbell work now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:31*pm, Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought..
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

Looks like a doorbell to me. lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
.. .

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just
bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

guts of a doorbell?

That has all the markings of an old phone company device, but I don't
know what it does. Could be an external ringer, or buzzer.

It just looks phone company. Is there a cover with a screw in the middle?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
charlie wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
.. .

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just
bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

guts of a doorbell?

That has all the markings of an old phone company device, but I don't
know what it does. Could be an external ringer, or buzzer.

It just looks phone company. Is there a cover with a screw in the middle?

I'm with Robert. It just oozes Western Electric vibes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:31:06 GMT, Mike Dobony
wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

It's a solid-state phase rectification modulator. Back in the old
days, they put one in every house. It regulated the electrical
current so that the space-time continuum would stay constant. Then
they found out it was supposed to be warped, so they quit using them.

-T.E. Stosterone
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

They look like capacitors. If the house dates back to the 50's or
older they may have been part of an external telephone bell. They
may have been installed as a radio canceling device to filter out
radio broadcasts on telephone line.

It could also be a crackpot customer device. These were various pieces
of telephone equipment installed to do absolutely nothing but satisfy
a chronic complainer. It would be a special/secret device that nobody
was supposed to have.
Believe it or not those devices actually worked.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

I'd cast my vote for it being a phone line surge arrestor.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

What has stopped working since it was removed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just
bought. Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

It's a solid-state phase rectification modulator. Back in the old
days, they put one in every house. It regulated the electrical
current so that the space-time continuum would stay constant. Then
they found out it was supposed to be warped, so they quit using them.

After being discarded from this former use, an avid green recycling nut
found an alternative use for domestic door bells!

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a solid-state phase rectification modulator. Back in the old
days, they put one in every house. It regulated the electrical
current so that the space-time continuum would stay constant. Then
they found out it was supposed to be warped, so they quit using them.

After being discarded from this former use, an avid green recycling nut
found an alternative use for domestic door bells!

And they were everafter known as the "Bose-Einstein Ding-Dongs".

-T.E.S.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx wrote:
It's a solid-state phase rectification modulator. Back in the old
days, they put one in every house. It regulated the electrical
current so that the space-time continuum would stay constant. Then
they found out it was supposed to be warped, so they quit using
them.

After being discarded from this former use, an avid green recycling
nut found an alternative use for domestic door bells!

And they were everafter known as the "Bose-Einstein Ding-Dongs".

I wish I could find the Trademark character at this time of the night/ early
morning here. Didn't Dolby revise the tone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wish I could find the Trademark character at this time of the night/ early
morning here. Didn't Dolby revise the tone?

Dolby made it sound good. Doplar had a huge effect too.

-T.E.S,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx wrote:
I wish I could find the Trademark character at this time of the
night/ early morning here. Didn't Dolby revise the tone?

Dolby made it sound good. Doplar had a huge effect too.

ECHo, echo.....

I'm getting a bit strung up by this; I guess there's a theory there
somewhere or have I been watching too many butterflies in a Brazilian rain
forest!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm getting a bit strung up by this; I guess there's a theory there
somewhere or have I been watching too many butterflies in a Brazilian rain
forest!

Bradbury had insight as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
Zz Yzx wrote:
I wish I could find the Trademark character at this time of the
night/ early morning here. Didn't Dolby revise the tone?

Dolby made it sound good. Doplar had a huge effect too.

ECHo, echo.....

I'm getting a bit strung up by this; I guess there's a theory there
somewhere or have I been watching too many butterflies in a Brazilian
rain forest!

I'm wrong! T'was the Flying Spaghetti Monster what did it. It provided all
us H. Saps. with ears to flap when we fell off tall parapits. A curious side
effect that in earlier years they served a different purpose and were larger
than today and were a saving grace. Without them, we would be extinct!

Another side effect that was not anticipated those many years ago was that
these flapping machines could hear in stereo. Without that development Bose
and Dolby could not have made money!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:

Mike Dobony wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just
bought. Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

What has stopped working since it was removed?

surge protection for old style (open wire} phone lines.
outdated, they use different type now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Doppler was just a passing thing.

Whooosh ..... I missed that, tha th....

"Clot" wrote in message
Zz Yzx wrote:
I wish I could find the Trademark character at this time of the
night/ early morning here. Didn't Dolby revise the tone?

Dolby made it sound good. Doplar had a huge effect too.

ECHo, echo.....

I'm getting a bit strung up by this; I guess there's a theory there
somewhere or have I been watching too many butterflies in a Brazilian
rain forest!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:47:59 GMT, Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:

Mike Dobony wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

What has stopped working since it was

Only 3 lights worked when they bought the house. The house is a repo and
the wires were cut and stripped. Who know what doesn't work. There were
no wires attached to whatever this is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:19:03 -0600, L D'Bonnie wrote:

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

They look like capacitors.

Yup, I found that each is a .25 UF capacitor.

If the house dates back to the 50's or
older they may have been part of an external telephone bell. They
may have been installed as a radio canceling device to filter out
radio broadcasts on telephone line.

That was kind of what I thought.

It could also be a crackpot customer device. These were various pieces
of telephone equipment installed to do absolutely nothing but satisfy
a chronic complainer. It would be a special/secret device that nobody
was supposed to have.
Believe it or not those devices actually worked.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

""Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "" wrote in
message ...
Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just
bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

It's a phase modulator for a warp drive conduit on a starship, I think.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Flux Capacitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

It's a solid-state phase rectification modulator. Back in the old
days, they put one in every house. It regulated the electrical
current so that the space-time continuum would stay constant. Then
they found out it was supposed to be warped, so they quit using them.

-T.E. Stosterone

ROTFLOLWTIME Well done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

They look like capacitors.

Yup, I found that each is a .25 UF capacitor.

They should have a voltage rating. That would be clueful as to where
they'd be used. Also, do the terminals have any polarity (+,-) labels?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 15, 2:31*pm, Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought..
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

If it's from the 50s, then it might be a low temperature PCB-
containment device.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

They look like capacitors.

Yup, I found that each is a .25 UF capacitor.

They should have a voltage rating. That would be clueful as to where
they'd be used. Also, do the terminals have any polarity (+,-) labels?

nope, no voltage and no polarity
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:

We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought.
Can anybody identify what it is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766/

They look like capacitors.

Yup, I found that each is a .25 UF capacitor.

They should have a voltage rating. That would be clueful as to where
they'd be used. Also, do the terminals have any polarity (+,-) labels?

nope, no voltage and no polarity

..25 uf would be paper cap with no polarity.
Easily 400V or 600V rating.

Defo looks like WeCo equipment, though I can't
pull up a catalog #.

Strong RF from nearby radio towers was a big problem;
the suggestion this was a filter to block the RF
sounds reasonable.

Jim