Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing a hard-to-reach galvanized line...

I'm trying to seal an open galvanized drain line (1930s era) that's
embedded in my masonry walls. The line is about 6 inches in the wall,
and rather difficult to get to.

There aren't any threads left (all broken or rusted off) to screw a
cap in.

What do I do at this point? I tried a test-plug and I still get some
leakage around the edges.

Any advice?

-Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 9:51�pm, wrote:
I'm trying to seal an open galvanized drain line (1930s era) that's
embedded in my masonry walls. The line is about 6 inches in the wall,
and rather difficult to get to.

There aren't any threads left (all broken or rusted off) to screw a
cap in.

What do I do at this point? I tried a test-plug and I still get some
leakage around the edges.

Any advice?

-Matt

replace with PVC line........... Hammer drill is your friend, re route
line if possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 9:20 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:51�pm, wrote:

I'm trying to seal an open galvanized drain line (1930s era) that's
embedded in my masonry walls. The line is about 6 inches in the wall,
and rather difficult to get to.

There aren't any threads left (all broken or rusted off) to screw a
cap in.

What do I do at this point? I tried a test-plug and I still get some
leakage around the edges.

Any advice?

-Matt

replace with PVC line........... Hammer drill is your friend, re route
line if possible.

The whole house was replaced with PVC in 2004, except for this one
line (which is in the same wall as the joint where all of the PVC ties
to the sewer).

-Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 7:22Â*am, wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:20 pm, " wrote:

On Feb 14, 9:51�pm, wrote:

I'm trying to seal an open galvanized drain line (1930s era) that's
embedded in my masonry walls. The line is about 6 inches in the wall,
and rather difficult to get to.

There aren't any threads left (all broken or rusted off) to screw a
cap in.

What do I do at this point? I tried a test-plug and I still get some
leakage around the edges.

Any advice?

-Matt

replace with PVC line........... Hammer drill is your friend, re route
line if possible.

The whole house was replaced with PVC in 2004, except for this one
line (which is in the same wall as the joint where all of the PVC ties
to the sewer).

-Matt- Hide quoted text -

Can you get something that 'almost fits' fill up its thread with lots
of glue; perhaps two part epoxy etc.? then screw it into the offending
opening. Also perhaps squeeze extra epoxy in and around the 'sort of
screwed in' plug item through a short piece of hose or pipe? Just an
idea? Worth trying?
May be an alternative to digging and possibly disturbing more plumbing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt,

This is a drain line so it's very low pressure. Get or make a rubber boot
of the appropriate size and attach it with a hose clamp. you can get rubber
sheeting and hose clamps at auto parts stores if your hardware store doesn't
have pipe boots.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 8:31�am, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Matt,

� �This is a drain line so it's very low pressure. Get or make a rubber boot
of the appropriate size and attach it with a hose clamp. you can get rubber
sheeting and hose clamps at auto parts stores if your hardware store doesn't
have pipe boots.

Dave M.

it will just leak again and me a issue at home resale time. bite the
bullet and replace it for forever fix
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 6:51*pm, wrote:
I'm trying to seal an open galvanized drain line (1930s era) that's
embedded in my masonry walls. The line is about 6 inches in the wall,
and rather difficult to get to.

There aren't any threads left (all broken or rusted off) to screw a
cap in.

What do I do at this point? I tried a test-plug and I still get some
leakage around the edges.

Any advice?

-Matt

I assume you jusst want to seal it off.

If the line is not used anymore and there is very little pressure, you
could try a can of expanding foam. Shove a plug of wadded up paper in
about 6" and fill the rest with foam. Clean the interior of the pipe
as much as possible before doing it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 12:08 am, terry wrote:
On Feb 15, 7:22 am, wrote:

On Feb 14, 9:20 pm, " wrote:

On Feb 14, 9:51�pm, wrote:

[...]

Okay, I tried this:

I filled the pipe with insta-foam, and that basically didn't work very
well. My test-plug solution failed as well. Sooooo:

I built a 'slug' out of five 1.25 inch washers, and 2 washers the next
size up. I bolted them together, and took some of the fast-dry epoxy,
and sealed the assembly.

I then shaved down the pipe using a wire brush (attached to a long
drill bit extension), so that I could get back to bare, clean metal.
Once that was clean, I mixed up some JB Weld around the slug and in
the hole, and slid the slug into the collar of the pipe. I slathered
it on, until there was basically a 1/8 to 1/4 inch seal over the slug
and the pipe.

It doesn't necessarily look pretty, but, I waited 24 hours for it to
dry, and tested it out:

Worked Beautifully.

Thanks to all
-Matt