DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Staining veneer interior doors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/233561-staining-veneer-interior-doors.html)

Magenta February 13th 08 12:22 AM

Staining veneer interior doors

I've bought two unfinished oak veneer interior doors (Jeld-Wen).
Neither stained well; splotches around the rail/stile glue lines with
some extending out over the face.

Is there something to clean these doors with prior to staining? I
don't want to sand the veneer too vigorously.

Art February 13th 08 01:16 AM

Staining veneer interior doors

I had a problem with a fiberglass door.

I took off as much stain as I could with brush cleaner and then restained
with a gel stain by Old Masters. Looked great when redone.

The minwax gel stain made a mess for me.

Edwin Pawlowski February 13th 08 06:33 PM

"Magenta" wrote in message
I've bought two unfinished oak veneer interior doors (Jeld-Wen).
Neither stained well; splotches around the rail/stile glue lines with
some extending out over the face.

Is there something to clean these doors with prior to staining? I
don't want to sand the veneer too vigorously.

Sand with 220 grit. The apply a pre-stain conditioner or mineral spirits to
avoid splotches.

Magenta February 14th 08 12:26 AM

Staining veneer interior doors

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:33:03 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Magenta" wrote in message
.. .
I've bought two unfinished oak veneer interior doors (Jeld-Wen).
Neither stained well; splotches around the rail/stile glue lines with
some extending out over the face.

Is there something to clean these doors with prior to staining? I
don't want to sand the veneer too vigorously.

Sand with 220 grit. The apply a pre-stain conditioner or mineral spirits to
avoid splotches.

I think it's glue. So the mineral spirits are probably a good idea.

And what is a pre-stain conditioner? What would I look for in the
store?

And do either affect my choice of stains?

Magenta February 14th 08 12:32 AM

Staining veneer interior doors

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:16:01 -0500, "Art"
wrote:

I had a problem with a fiberglass door.

I took off as much stain as I could with brush cleaner and then restained
with a gel stain by Old Masters. Looked great when redone.

The minwax gel stain made a mess for me.

I've never used a gel stain. Is there a special technique for these?

I'm using Varathane woodstain, brush on and wipe with clean cloth (two
coats), then three coats of Varathane water based poly