Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Affixing 3/8" Blueboard and Plaster to an Existing Horsehair PlasterCeiling

I would like to repair a hundred-year-old horsehair plaster ceiling by
attaching new 3/8" blueboard and then skim coating over it. The old
ceiling has some rather large holes in it (too large to repair), so
I'd just like to go over it with new materials.

Here's the catch: There are no wood studs. The building was
converted to condos from an old hotel (circa 1895), and the plaster
ceiling is attached to extruded steel lath (in a diamond pattern, with
holes of about a 1/2") that is attached via steel rods to the steel
and concrete beams that support the building. So, there's no wood to
screw into.

The plaster will hold a screw, but it's not going into a stud. So
here's my idea: Apply construction adhesive (Liquid Nails) to the
back of each blueboard sheet. Then screw it up on the ceiling. The
glue alone probably wouldn't hold it, and I wouldn't want to rely on
the nails alone, but TOGETHER, I think it will be safe.

So my questions a

---Is this the best way to achieve this?
---Are there any alternatives, such as using very wide screws that
will grab the steel lath, that you might suggest?

Overall, I'd like to avoid framing, since it will increase the cost
exponentially.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

OP-

This looks a lot like another thread.

How sound is the exisitng ceiling lath? How many sq ft? Do you own
the condo? Are you going to keep the place?

What's the goal? How good a result are you after?

btw that would be "expanded metal lath"

Even large holes can be repaired.

1. Weave in new lath with hog rings & wire......repair exiting ceiling

Blueboard dds weight but not a lot of strength.

2. Re-lath entire ceiling with a new layer of expanded metal lath
screwed to exisitng ceiling

3. Demo ceilign & start over

Hard to make a recommendation from afar.......

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 1:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

IF the existing metal lath is OK I would knock off ALL loose plaster,scrape
off any peeling paint and the cut wire mesh to fit the hole with tin snips
and screw it to the metal lath with self tapping 1/4 inch pan head
screws(we call them peanuts..LOL).Apply bonding agent to the WHOLE ceiling
with a paint roller.New Plaster WILL NOT bond to the OLD plaster without
it.Patch holes with Base Coat Plaster , then plaster the whole ceiling with
Finish Coat Plaster.

If the metal lath ISN'T structurally sound then it needs to be taken down
and replaced and you never know what you will be getting into when you open
that can of worms. So if you go that route be prepared for a BIG bill ,a big
mess and other unforseen costs along the way... Hope this helps...

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

It is messy but you may want to install sheet metal furring strips and wire
them up to the metal lath, trying to get as close to the steel rods as you
can. It will take a lot of wiring, and each piece of wire will need a hole
on each side of the metal furring strip to get the wire over and back down.
Be sure to tie the wires off well so they don't pull loose and use lots.

wrote in message
[...]

Attaching 1/4" or 3/8" Drywall to Horsehair Plaster Ceiling (No Wood) [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 22nd 07 01:40 AM
Affixing OSB to Ceiling Joists with (brad?) Nails [email protected] Home Repair 20 October 17th 07 02:56 AM
horsehair plaster? Steve Home Repair 9 August 3rd 07 08:47 PM
Sawzall or ? to cut thru old-style "plaster" Puddin' Man Home Repair 14 December 18th 06 04:39 PM
Blueboard Dan_Musicant Home Repair 9 July 27th 06 05:01 AM