Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire for smoke alarms?

I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 4:12*pm, wrote:
I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? *I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? *I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

Thats the code now adays, - if you are pulling wire thru the area
anyways, why not, the extra cost is definitly worth a life.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 3:12*pm, wrote:
I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? *I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? *I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

Thats code, your electrician is right its not a bad idea to do it
now. You will still have the chirping when batteries go low. The
idea is that the batteries parallel the house power, the house power
does not replace the need for batteries and they will still chirp and
are monitored for weakness. But the alarms will be synched up and
continue to work even on a dead battery until you get the battery
replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 12, 4:34*pm, RickH wrote:
On Feb 12, 3:12*pm, wrote:

[...]

replaced.- Hide quoted text -

yeah, what they all said. should just be 14/3 to an octagon box in
each room, well worth it if the price is reasonable.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

You need to find out the code in your area. Many jurisdictions require 120
volt with battery backup, interconnected, one unit on each level, and one
unit in each bedroom.
Two locations where you don't install smokes is in the garage or kitchen

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 4:34 pm, RickH wrote:
On Feb 12, 3:12 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hey Nate, let the electrician pick the box!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

This is a good idea and well worth the effort. When they are all wired, if
one goes off, they all go off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
Careful with this advice - I think even the hardwired detectors often
have a battery backup in case of a power failure. Check out sites like:
http://smokesign.com/120vacharsmo1.html to see some options.

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in news:78afbbab-b2ca-4dfb-aabd-
:

I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

Well, no battery changing.

No annoying chirping when batteries get weak.

Code often requires at least one wired one on each floor.

If there is a fire it sure would be nice if they all went off so everyone
has the earliest possible warning.

As long as if one becomes defective the whole damn lot doesn't start
chrping!

All of mine do have backup batteries but they are providing no operating
current so the batteries last roughly as long as their shelf life. And
with good alkalines this is a _very_ long time.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 5:49 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:20:45 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

[...]

The code also requires battery backup so you still get the chirp.

The electrician should be pulling 14/3 romex

I am doing everything in EMT. So far over 200' of new EMT has been
laid on top of the existing EMT pipes. I don't know if I can fit
extra wires into what I have already. If it involves new rigid
conduits to be laid the cost will not be insignificant. I hate to use
romex.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 4:50 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Why not the kitchen?

I would think the kitchen is the most likely smoke induced location.
If you leave a stove on and went to talk on a phone and then things
get burnt etc...
Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
wrote in news:78afbbab-b2ca-4dfb-aabd-
:

I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Yes, have him wire 110V in all the bedrooms and outside the common sleeping
areas at the minimum. Also wire a 18/4 FPL to each detector in a "daisy chain"
fashion + one back to the alarm panel if you have one.

That's a good point, if you ever think you want to add a fire alarm
panel or security system that monitors your smoke detectors as well, you
should pull some extra wire. should NOT be in the same conduit as
120VAC as 24VEDEC is typical; you could free-run plenum rated cable
however (FPLP) you'll need two conductors to all smokes and don't t-tap.
If you do this the smokes you use should have auxiliary alarm relay
contacts. The reason for not t-tapping is for supervision of the
wiring; there will be an end of line resistor (or other device, but I
can only think of one panel off the top of my head where it's not a
resistor and it's not one likely to be installed in a residence) at the
last detector so the panel can check and see if it sees that resistor to
monitor the loop for integrity.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's it exactly, you don't install them in rooms where smoke occurs in
normal use. If necessary, you'd use rate of rise heat detectors, besides you
don't need your entire house screaming at you to tell you that you burned
the toast

wrote in message
On Feb 12, 4:50 pm, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:

[...]

this applies for smokes hooked to an alarm panel

Yeah, FPLP would be best (Fire Power Limited Plenum rated). I suggested 18
gauge 4 conductor cable to cover 4 and 2-wire smokes (in case the alarm panel
is not compatible with 2-wire smokes). It's better to use 2-wire smokes
because they require less current generally and do not require a EOL
supervision relay module (still need to place a EOL resistor at the last
detector).

no alarm panel
If no alarm panel is in use for now, the wire can be used for the interconnect
(which is required) so all sounders go off if one detector trips. And at least
you'll have the capability to add a monitored fire alarm in the future.

You might also want to pre-wire for heat detectors in the garage, kitchen,
attic, furnace closet, hot water heater closet...

Pre-wire for CO detectors on each floor.

I can't imagine wanting to use 4-wire detectors in a residential
environment; typically it would just be 120VAC single station tandem
units with aux. relays for optional monitoring.

I suppose, if one had access to a warehouse of old fire alarm parts
(well, um, I do...) one could install an old FA system in one's house
like a Simplex 2001 or Pyro System 3 but I'm not sure why you'd want to

nate

"May I have your attention please. May I have your attention please.
Hazardous gas has been detected in the second floor restroom. Hazardous
gas has been detected in the second floor restroom. Please leave the
building by the nearest exit. Do not use the elevators."

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 2:12*pm, wrote:
I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? *I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? *I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

We use both types (code) right next to each otherr - not the backup-
electrical type, they get zapped sometimes - most residential fires
knock the power out soon after starting, real soon. If not started by
the electrical in the fist place... change the batteries twice a year:
dayight savings time / standard time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

I can't imagine wanting to use 4-wire detectors in a residential
environment; typically it would just be 120VAC single station tandem
units with aux. relays for optional monitoring.

I'm talking about 12VDC smokes w/ aux contacts (panel powered). Many alarm
panels do not support 2-wire smoke loops.

Like this one:
http://www.systemsensor.com/html/cd.html?UniqueID=3

That'll work, but then you need to add notification appliances as well,
and that's a whole nother ball of wax (unless you use standard 24VDC
detectors with sounder bases)

basically I still think the 120VAC/battery detectors with tandem
connection are probably a simpler, more economical choice for a home
install and provides all the functionality you need - the full "system"
is useful for larger installations where you need annunciation by floor,
zone, etc.

Hey, let's go addressable, let's just get silly

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're doing a permit, then they'll probably REQUIRE that you hardwire
the smokers. Some jurisdictions say if you're doing a 50% or more remodel,
then the electrical in the whole place has to come to current code. Your
area may be drastically different. Hard wired smokers are nice, cause if
one goes off, they all sound off. You may be too far from the room with the
smoke to hear just one. Also, smokers should be in each bedroom, and
outside each bedroom door or at least one in the hallway. Kitchens are not
a good place for one.

wrote in message
I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I am doing everything in EMT. *So far over 200' of new EMT has been
laid on top of the existing EMT pipes. *I don't know if I can fit
extra wires into what I have already. *If it involves new rigid
conduits to be laid the cost will not be insignificant. *I hate to use
romex.

I've been wanted to ask this for quite some time, and this looks like
the thread to do it in!
house is 4 years old. Since new, one wired smoke detector in one
bedroom has been false alarming.
of course, it sets off all the others. I have replaced the detector
with new ones twice, but within a day or
two, false alarm again. So it must be the wire running to that room,
right? it's a bedroom, there's nothing
happening that should set it off. I was thinking of tracing the
existing wire, i guess it runs to the next
detector in the series, and replacing the wire.only problem is, its
tough to trace the wire because the
attic has plywood flooring nailed down which will have to come up for
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:41:37 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

what the hell kind of house needs emt all over?

I know someone here who wants to use it. One reason is rats that chew
on the wires.

wrote in message

I am doing everything in EMT. So far over 200' of new EMT has been
laid on top of the existing EMT pipes. I don't know if I can fit
extra wires into what I have already. If it involves new rigid
conduits to be laid the cost will not be insignificant. I hate to use
romex.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I am doing everything in EMT. *So far over 200' of new EMT has been
laid on top of the existing EMT pipes. *I don't know if I can fit
extra wires into what I have already. *If it involves new rigid
conduits to be laid the cost will not be insignificant. *I hate to use
romex.- Hide quoted text -

Most places in Chicago and its suburbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OH? If so, then that's rediculous.

wrote:

what the hell kind of house needs emt all over?

One in Chicago?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:38:28 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:
What? Rats? My gosh. Here in Alberta, rats are gone since 50's.
We don't have rats but mouse.

Ahh, yes. The other way to get rid of them is to rename them.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Smoke Alarms ac1951 UK diy 11 November 12th 07 10:37 AM
Smoke Alarms Jacque Asse Home Repair 10 July 18th 07 10:46 AM
Smoke Alarms Jerr Home Repair 6 March 7th 05 11:41 PM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM
New Smoke Alarms Matt Home Ownership 11 August 16th 04 11:32 PM