Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recess light housing for remodeling

I see that there are some recess light housing designed for
remodeling, so you just cut a hole say 6" in diameter, hook up the MC
cable, then push the housing up and it will lock into the ceiling
sheetrock with the clips, see picture link below:

http://www.usalight.com/image.php?pr...th=250&loc=top

My question is once the clips snaps in place and the housing is
installed, is it still possible to remove it? Is the clip unlockable
from the inside of the can, or you have to go up to the attic or cut a
hole next to it to reach in to remove it?

Thanks,

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I see that there are some recess light housing designed for
remodeling, so you just cut a hole say 6" in diameter, hook up the MC
cable, then push the housing up and it will lock into the ceiling
sheetrock with the clips, see picture link below:

http://www.usalight.com/image.php?pr...th=250&loc=top

My question is once the clips snaps in place and the housing is
installed, is it still possible to remove it? Is the clip unlockable
from the inside of the can, or you have to go up to the attic or cut a
hole next to it to reach in to remove it?

Thanks,

MC

Every one I've used could be unlatched easily. Too easily in fact. The
latches on the units sold at the big box stores are incredibly flimsy
and probably 1 in 12 will unlatch themselves at least once before the
installation is done. Just go to the borg and look at the fixtures and
you will see how the latches are meant to work.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 9:59 am, John McGaw wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thank you that is a great idea. I did not think of going there to
look at it up close and personal.