Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cellophane Tape On Shingles

That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

Not true. Maybe the tape is designed to transfer itself from the
adhesive tar strip to the shingle above it in the bundle, but it did
not on the shingles that were blown off. In other words, the tape
remained on the adhesive tar strip thus preventing adhesion.
Furthermore, many of the shingles that were not blown off can be
easily lifted. Gusts on that particular day were 50 mph and we can
expect more of that type of wind in March.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack W" Windswept@Home wrote in message
That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

Not true. Maybe the tape is designed to transfer itself from the
adhesive tar strip to the shingle above it in the bundle, but it did
not on the shingles that were blown off. In other words, the tape
remained on the adhesive tar strip thus preventing adhesion.
Furthermore, many of the shingles that were not blown off can be
easily lifted. Gusts on that particular day were 50 mph and we can
expect more of that type of wind in March.

No, it's true. Go to a home improvement store and read the instructions on
any package of shingles. You to NOT need to remove anything from the
shingles when installing them. Your shingles are blowing off for some other
reason. Did you own the house when they were installed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Correct, that cellophane strip is applied to the back of the shingles to
prevent the adhesive strip of the shingle below it in the bundle from
sticking. When the shingles are installed with the normal exposure the
adhesive strip on the top of the shingle is aligned with a clear area of
the shingle above it. The area under the cellophane tape on the back of
the shingle is not intended to stick to anything but the cellophane
tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 6:41*am, Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote:
That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. *You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

Not true. *Maybe the tape is designed to transfer itself from the
adhesive tar strip to the shingle above it in the bundle, but it did
not on the shingles that were blown off. *In other words, the tape
remained on the adhesive tar strip thus preventing adhesion.
Furthermore, many of the shingles that were not blown off can be
easily lifted. *Gusts on that particular day were 50 mph and we can
expect more of that type of wind in March.

Why not read the instructions printed plainly on the shingle bundle?
Clue: it says you don't need to remove the strip.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack W wrote:

That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

Not true. Maybe the tape is designed to transfer itself from the
adhesive tar strip to the shingle above it in the bundle, but it did
not on the shingles that were blown off. In other words, the tape
remained on the adhesive tar strip thus preventing adhesion.
Furthermore, many of the shingles that were not blown off can be
easily lifted. Gusts on that particular day were 50 mph and we can
expect more of that type of wind in March.

I am afraid that you are incorrect. This is from the shingle
installation instructions found he

http://www.cembritblunn.co.uk/pdf/sh...stallation.pdf

Quote:

Cellophane Tape
Do not remove parting strip of cellophane tape from the
shingle underside. Its purpose is to prevent the shingles from
sticking together while in the bundle. It does not affect the
application or the effectiveness of the product and, when
removed, creates needless waste.

End Quote

And from the Tamko shingle instruction PDF found here;

http://www.tamko.com/Portals/0/docum...30AR%20F_T.pdf

Quote:

IMPORTANT: It is not necessary to remove the plastic strip from the back
of the shingles.

End Quote

Perhaps you have an off brand of shingle that requires the removal of
the strip, but I have never seen a shingle that required the removal of
the strip.

If indeed the cellophane strip is over the top of the asphalt adhesive
on your shingles, then the shingles were installed so incorrectly that
the cellophane strip is the least of your problems. In order for that to
be true, they had to be installed over each other exactly like they were
laying in the bundle.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack W wrote:
That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they
are in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has
nothing to do with the shingles blowing off.

Not true. Maybe the tape is designed to transfer itself from the
adhesive tar strip to the shingle above it in the bundle, but it did
not on the shingles that were blown off. In other words, the tape
remained on the adhesive tar strip thus preventing adhesion.
Furthermore, many of the shingles that were not blown off can be
easily lifted. Gusts on that particular day were 50 mph and we can
expect more of that type of wind in March.

: The shingles mystery -- it pops up every three months. What IS that clear
tape on the back of shingles for?!! To remove or not to remove ... that is
the question ... answered here!

I was having a discussion with a couple friends about installing a shingle
roof. They both said the clear cellophane tape on the bottom of the shingle
is to be removed before installation. I say that is an integral part of the
bonding system and should be left on. What's the story?

Thanks,
Ron Tyson

DEAR RON: This is a fairly common question and I feel you will be surprised
by the answer. Both you and your friends are wrong. The tape's sole purpose
is to prevent the shingles from sticking to one another when they are
stacked on top of one another in the pack.

You can clearly see the pieces of tape line up with the blobs of asphalt
cement on the tops of the shingles. These dabs of asphalt cement indeed are
the glue that allows the shingles to bond together once the roofing is
installed. But think for a moment. When you install the shingles, the
cellophane tape is five inches up the roof from the dabs of cement and it
does nothing to help bond one shingle to another.

You do not have to remove the tape. That would be an enormous waste of time.
http://www.askthebuilder.com/QA_-_Sh..._Mystery.shtml

(I roofed about 6 times a year for 12yrs)

Clark...
--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote in news:47b1affa.8613234@news-
60.giganews.com:

That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

Not true. Maybe the tape is designed to transfer itself from the
adhesive tar strip to the shingle above it in the bundle, but it did
not on the shingles that were blown off. In other words, the tape
remained on the adhesive tar strip thus preventing adhesion.

The shingles were junk or they were allowed to get hot sitting in the sun
right before installing. I had some handfulls I pulled from a bundle and
laid down. Too sunny and hot. Pull the individuals apart and
strip/partial strips will indeed stick to the sealing areas. I threw them
away or just used them as partials. Your installer didn't.