Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Stock tank repair - Need washer or????

One of my metal stock tanks sprung a leak, and of course it's near the
bottom. Normally in warm weather I'll empty it, clean the spot and
use JbWeld. If the hole is over 1/16" I usually use the jbweld and
glue in a short machine screw (not a sheet metal screw that animals
will get hurt on). However, this time the tank is frozen to the
ground, it's severely cold outside (around zero), and jbweld will
unlikely dry, not to mention a wet tank. The hole is about 1/4". I
plan to take a 1/4" bolt, with nut, metal washers, and rubber washers
between the metal washers and tank. The problem is where can I get a
washer with a 1/4" hole? Sure I can make one, but I'd rather just see
what the hardware store has. There must be some plumbing type of
washer. Otherwise I got to buy sheet rubber and all of that. Even if
it just holds another month or two, until I can use the jbweld.

I have done this before using the neo-washers from pole barn siding
screws, on smaller holes (and it worked well) but this is a larger
hole and needs a larger washer. Any ideas? Needs to be a common item
from a hardware store, farm supply, or auto parts store. We dont have
any specialty places here in farm country.

By the way, would leather work? I got a piece of an old saddle strap.
If this snow keeps up, I may have to use what I have laying around
because I wont be getting to any stores for a couple days.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Go to
www.mcmaster.com and type rubber washer into the search box. Then
select 1/4" screw size, then select round hole. You'll get 17 matching
products. And farm country or not, if you order today, you'll have it on
your doorstep tomorrow.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote in message
[...]

ace hardware is a better bet than a big box. they have racks of odd sized
screws, nuts, and washers.

By the way, would leather work? I got a piece of an old saddle strap.
If this snow keeps up, I may have to use what I have laying around
because I wont be getting to any stores for a couple days.

probably not but it would worth a try.

have an old inner tube from a bike or machinery tire?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote in message
One of my metal stock tanks sprung a leak, and of course it's near the
bottom. Normally in warm weather I'll empty it, clean the spot and
use JbWeld. If the hole is over 1/16" I usually use the jbweld and
glue in a short machine screw (not a sheet metal screw that animals
will get hurt on). However, this time the tank is frozen to the
ground, it's severely cold outside (around zero), and jbweld will
unlikely dry, not to mention a wet tank. The hole is about 1/4". I
plan to take a 1/4" bolt, with nut, metal washers, and rubber washers
between the metal washers and tank. The problem is where can I get a
washer with a 1/4" hole?

Go to the auto parts store and ask for a fender washer
large diameter with a small hole

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article ,
Jack Hunt wrote:

If you can get to the inside of the hole, just a piece of plastic sheet will
stop the leak. If you can put a piece of plastic sheet over the leak and a
rock
or something to hold it, the water pressure will keep the hole sealed. When
it
gets warmer you can do a more permanent fix.

Or screw a long 1/4" lag screw thru the hole into the dirt below for a
temp fix until the thaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Any ideas? Needs to be a common item
from a hardware store, farm supply, or auto parts store. We dont have
any specialty places here in farm country.

Go to any hardware store and buy a cheap assortment of faucet repair
washers. They are hard rubber and will suit your need.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote in message

By the way, would leather work?

Yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote in message
[...]

Tank bolts made for attaching a toilet tank to the toilet bowl come with
rubber washers and metal washers with 1/4" hole.

You may be able to just buy what you need at a real hardware store. At the
BORG a few bucks for the kit.

Colbyt