Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Shingles That Were Blown Off

have a strip of cellophane-like tape over the black adhesive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack W wrote:

have a strip of cellophane-like tape over the black adhesive.

That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

I will bet that the shingles were installed with staples, right?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote in news:Zm2sj.3301$qV2.155
@trnddc04:

Jack W wrote:

have a strip of cellophane-like tape over the black adhesive.

That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

I will bet that the shingles were installed with staples, right?

I want to see that answer too.

When I redid this house this summer some parts were nails and some
staples. The ones with staples you could get the corner of a section up
with the shingle rake, grab the corner with both hands and pull up a
whole section. That says something...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack W wrote:

have a strip of cellophane-like tape over the black adhesive.

That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

I will bet that the shingles were installed with staples, right?

I want to see that answer too.

When I redid this house this summer some parts were nails and some
staples. The ones with staples you could get the corner of a section up
with the shingle rake, grab the corner with both hands and pull up a
whole section. That says something...

I have read this several times but there must be some different staple
systems. When I had my house and garage re-shingled the crew complained a
lot about how hard it was to get the stapled shingles off the garage.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack W wrote:

have a strip of cellophane-like tape over the black adhesive.

That tape is simply there to keep the shingles separated while they are
in the bundle. You do not need to remove that strip and it has nothing
to do with the shingles blowing off.

I will bet that the shingles were installed with staples, right?

I want to see that answer too.

When I redid this house this summer some parts were nails and some
staples. The ones with staples you could get the corner of a section up
with the shingle rake, grab the corner with both hands and pull up a
whole section. That says something...

I have read this several times but there must be some different staple
systems. When I had my house and garage re-shingled the crew complained a
lot about how hard it was to get the stapled shingles off the garage.

Don Young

We have the same complaint from our roofers, but not for the reason you
are thinking. Shingles with nails are easier to remove because the demo
tools will hook the nails and they will come out cleanly, while the
staples have a tendency to pull out one leg of the staple, leaving
nothing for the shingle tool to grab. They then have to be pounded down
or removed with a pair of kleins or end cutters.

The shingles come off easily, the staples don't. While on a roof with
nails, the shingles often pull out the nails and the remaining nails can
be removed with the same tool.

Having done thousands of roof repairs, I will tell you what I have on my
roof; nails.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote in

Jack W wrote:

[...]

Does anything below your waist not hurt any more? :-)

I will tell you what I have on
my roof; nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Robert Allison wrote in

Having done thousands of roof repairs,

Does anything below your waist not hurt any more? :-)

Back when I was still working on my tools, I had a roofing dept. in my
company. We did mostly reroofing (we were doing a lot of insurance
work). I also did a lot of work at apartment complexes. I began to do
roof repairs for leaks. After a heavy rain (and usually while it was
still raining) the calls for leak repairs would start. I would get a
call from a complex that they had 4 leaks. When it stopped raining, I
would load up 3 extension ladders and head out to the first complex.
Although they originally called in 4 leaks, by the time I got there more
tenants would have called the office and they would hand me a list of 70
leaks or more.

Each one of them meant getting a key to the apartment, so I could go
inside and look at where it was leaking. Then set up the ladder and go
up on the roof (most were 3-story, so a 32' ladder minimum) to see where
it was leaking and fix it. Back down the ladder and on to the next one.
Then, on to the next apartment complex. After a couple of weeks of
doing this every day, all day, I am surprised that I even HAVE anything
below my waist!

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Repair 34 March 10th 17 03:06 AM
asphalt shingles blown off in wind storm Joe Home Repair 10 December 6th 07 01:46 PM
Blown Away Michael Mcneil UK diy 39 January 11th 05 04:01 PM
New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Ownership 10 November 30th 04 06:04 AM
blown up kav Home Ownership 1 November 4th 04 03:45 PM