Posted to alt.home.repair

Default broken bathtub

My cheap vinyl bathtub has become brittle over time and now has
several places where it has actually failed and has cracks that would
yu would think would cause the tub to leak. It does not leak however
and I'm guessing that it it actually a vinyl sandwich with closed cell
foam in between.

I know that the solution is to tear out and replace the tub but winter
in Minnesota is not a good time to do this job. Thankfully the tub
doesn't leak but I am curious if anyone knows why it wouldn't leak
even though it is broken. I would also like to know whether it worth
it for me to consider patching these broken spots and what my optiions
might be.

One idea I have is to cover the broken places with epoxy. Another
idea is to cover the spots with the sticky marine tape that they use
on boat decks or even cover the entire tub with this stuff. Any other
ideas are appreciated. The longer I can avoid replacin this crappy
bathtub the better for me.

Lawrence in Minnesota
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 2:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

Better than just epoxy would be some fiberglass cloth and epoxy
thickened with filler. It won't be pretty, but it should seal the soon-
to-be leaks. Rough up the area where you will be using the glass so
the epoxy has some bite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It may be a re-bath retro-fit bath cover. Meaning an even older and
uglier cast iron tub may be underneath the vinyl one. Many times
people with opt to cover up a tub if its porcelain enamel finish is
chipped, exposing the iron. If this is the case, you may have a rusty-
slimy mess waiting for you when you tear it out. You could choose to
go the cover-up route again, or get the sledge hammer. Breaking up
those iron tubs is the easiest way to get them out of a tight bath
(very heavy). Anyway, the new vinyl is much "better" meaning it will
not turn yellow and get brittle as fast as the old plastics. But, some
may say its an ecological disaster because it takes 50,000 years to
decompose and your average bath is redesigned every 30 years or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 2:15*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 11, 2:16*pm, wrote:

[...]

the epoxy has some bite.- Hide quoted text -

thank you for that excellent idea. I could just cover the entire tub
with epoxy and cloth for a permanent repair?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 9:34*am, wrote:
It may be a re-bath retro-fit bath cover. Meaning an even older and
uglier cast iron tub may be underneath the vinyl one. Many times
people with opt to cover up a tub if its porcelain enamel finish is
chipped, exposing the iron. If this is the case, you may have a rusty-
slimy mess waiting for you when you tear it out. You could choose to
go the cover-up route again, or get the sledge hammer. Breaking up
those iron tubs is the easiest way to get them out of a tight bath
(very heavy). Anyway, the new vinyl is much "better" meaning it will
not turn yellow and get brittle as fast as the old plastics. But, some
may say its an ecological disaster because it takes 50,000 years to
decompose and your average bath is redesigned every 30 years or so.

No sir. It is the original tub since I bought the house brand new. I
agree that throwing it away is a poor choice for the environmental
concerns. I think you would agree then that fixing it would be for
the best. Best for me since it will be less work than replacing it
and better for the environment, as you say.

Do you have any other ideas or comments on the previous ideas??

Lawrence in Minnesota

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 2:16 pm, wrote:

[...]

That would cost you more than a new builder-grade tub. If you can live
with a plastic surround rather than tile, and can come up with a clean
way to make the transition from the tub walls to any surrounding tile,
changing the tub and the surround shouldn't be that bad a job, even in
winter. A cast iron tub (my first choice) and a tile surround, would
take 2-3 days. You get an experienced bathroom remodeler, they can
probably do a rip-n-replace of a plastic tub and surround in a single
day, other than any needed replacement of floor covering (since the
front floor edge of new tub almost never matches the old one.)

Yeah, a PITA, but doable. And do you really wanna mess with this more
than once?

(Don't feel bad- my main bath has a 1960 denture-pink cast iron tub with
matching mud-bed tile. But aside from a few tiny-nick rusty spots near
drain that I keep meaning to epoxy, it is in fine shape, so I can't
justify replacement. And although ugly, it is better than the cheap 1979
plastic almond-color shower stall in the bath in the addition.)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:15:03 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

(Don't feel bad- my main bath has a 1960 denture-pink cast iron tub with
matching mud-bed tile. But aside from a few tiny-nick rusty spots near
drain that I keep meaning to epoxy, it is in fine shape, so I can't
justify replacement. And although ugly, it is better than the cheap 1979
plastic almond-color shower stall in the bath in the addition.)

I'm jealous: this sounds like a real gem (aside from the Pepto-Bismol
color, of course), and I just want to applaud your restraint in
ripping it out and replacing it with today's cheap crap. Surely
someone can help you figure out paint/color scheme to help mitigate
the visual effect so you continue to enjoy this bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 2:16 pm, wrote:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the sensible reply. I am capable of replacing the tub, not
a problem. The problem is that I don't have the time or the energy.
As my original post indicated, I am looking for an alternative to
replacing the tub. If u have any ideas or suggestions along this line
i would greatly appreciate it, thanks again.

Lawrence
Posted to alt.home.repair

KLS wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:15:03 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

(Don't feel bad- my main bath has a 1960 denture-pink cast iron tub with
matching mud-bed tile. But aside from a few tiny-nick rusty spots near
drain that I keep meaning to epoxy, it is in fine shape, so I can't
justify replacement. And although ugly, it is better than the cheap 1979
plastic almond-color shower stall in the bath in the addition.)

I'm jealous: this sounds like a real gem (aside from the Pepto-Bismol
color, of course), and I just want to applaud your restraint in
ripping it out and replacing it with today's cheap crap. Surely
someone can help you figure out paint/color scheme to help mitigate
the visual effect so you continue to enjoy this bathroom.

No, not quite pepto, closer to calamine lotion mixed with pink.
Definitely a color not found in nature.

No SWMBO in the house, so not a big problem. Walls are pale gray, and
floor off-white, so the combination isn't revolting to my eyes. (The
tiles being the matte finish instead of gloss helps.) Walls are badly
scarred from where previous owner scraped off wallpaper, but that
actually works- they have almost an old-style plaster texture to them.
The original pink toilet and sink were replaced with white, before I got
here.

I do wish they had pulled down the 2 different little-girl-pink patterns
of wallpaper, chair rail dividing the patterns, and princess borders, in
the small bedroom. I use that room for storage and keep the lights off.

aem sends...

Bathtub Help MJPVEN Home Repair 3 October 21st 06 11:59 AM
Need help concerning bathtub Dont use Home Repair 1 September 10th 06 02:47 PM
Trinitron Monitor Broken - Made Clicking Noises, Now Broken [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 05 10:57 PM
FA: Broken PIONEER DVL-V888 Laserdisc DVD / Broken sharp VL-H860U Hi8camcorder w/ LCD Screen robotron -X- Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 04 03:30 AM