Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnance filter replacement Question??

I have a Lennox electric, forced air, furnance that came with the 1970
house I bought a decade or so ago.

It has some odd-sized air filter, the number escapes me, but that
never mattered much as it also came with two washable foam filters.

Well, as I have gotten older and the climate has warmed each winter
due to global warming (NOT), I find myself less willing to wander
outside in the snow, take off the form faucet cover, uncoil the frozen
hose and run ice cold water over my hands while trying to get dish
detergent to foam so I can wash the X%#@* foam filter each month.

So, I got the bright idea of buying the disposable filters in 20 X 20
X 1 size at my local hardware store for 79 cents and cutting them to
size.

Works fine, but as I cut the darn thing, I find I lose track of the
"flow direction" -- on the side of these filters they have an arrow
with the word flow, which I assume means the filter is only supposed
to be installed with one side UP. As I write this, I just realized I
could probably use a sharpie to put red "X" on the up side and that
would solve my problem....but since I am already so far along on this
message.....

Does it REALLY matter which side goes up on these things? Each side
look identical to me. For those who care, here is a pix from the
filter maker's website: http://www.aafintl.com/upload/produc...sity_panel.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a Lennox electric, forced air, furnance that came with the 1970
house I bought a decade or so ago.

It has some odd-sized air filter, the number escapes me, but that
never mattered much as it also came with two washable foam filters.

Well, as I have gotten older and the climate has warmed each winter
due to global warming (NOT), I find myself less willing to wander
outside in the snow, take off the form faucet cover, uncoil the frozen
hose and run ice cold water over my hands while trying to get dish
detergent to foam so I can wash the X%#@* foam filter each month.

It's just dust you're washing off. Take the filter into the shower with you.
What's the worst that could happen? Wet dust on your toes?

So, I got the bright idea of buying the disposable filters in 20 X 20
X 1 size at my local hardware store for 79 cents and cutting them to
size.

Works fine, but as I cut the darn thing, I find I lose track of the
"flow direction" -- on the side of these filters they have an arrow
with the word flow, which I assume means the filter is only supposed
to be installed with one side UP. As I write this, I just realized I
could probably use a sharpie to put red "X" on the up side and that
would solve my problem....but since I am already so far along on this
message.....

Does it REALLY matter which side goes up on these things? Each side
look identical to me. For those who care, here is a pix from the
filter maker's website:
http://www.aafintl.com/upload/produc...sity_panel.jpg

Yes, it matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 12:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

filter maker's website:http://www.aafintl.com/upload/produc...r%20filter/str...

I used to have a T-shirt that read:

Save water - Shower with a friend.

The same holds true for a foam furnace filter. If you're concerned
about any debris going down the drain, put a piece of screen over it
and clean it out when you're done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 9:50*am, wrote:
[...]

Original poster here....I have two rottweilers and a cat. For some
reason, a large percentage of the filter's "catch" is pet hair, which
I don't particulary want down the drain. The suggestion of putting a
screen on the drain is OK, I suppose, but honestly, I think the screen
would clog pretty quickly leaving me ankle deep in wet cat and dog
hair. LOL

If the direction of install truly does matter, I guess the Sharpie
route is the way to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Feb 11, 12:50 pm, wrote:
[...]

============================

Or, carefully vacuum off the bulk of the dust/lint/hair, and finish the job
in the shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 11, 9:50 am, wrote:
[...]

=================

Vacuum the pets more often. Cats usually don't like it, but dogs are dumb,
so you can do whatever you want with them and they just smile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Frequently, filters have a metal or plastic layer on one side to give them
strength. They are designed to have the strength layer resist the movement of
the filter element. The air should flow through the element then past the
strength layer.

Followup Question on Water Filter Cartridge Replacement Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 3 January 11th 07 12:43 AM
Furnance Question - Cycling Amy L Home Repair 22 January 15th 06 08:01 AM
furnance filter david Home Ownership 0 December 23rd 05 04:23 AM
Best Furnance Filter - any opinions? echo Home Ownership 3 June 5th 05 03:02 PM
A Furnance Question tp Home Repair 2 January 30th 05 05:56 AM