Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC Zone Controls

Hi,

We have a three zone Hydro / Hot air HVAC system for heating.

Zone 1: Garage
Zone 2: Downstairs
Zone 3: Upstairs

The control system pumps hot water to three seperate Air Handlers that
then supply hot air for heating.

After a power outtage, when the system came back on. All the hot water
went to Zone one the garage circuit. After the garage was warmed up,
then the rest of the house was supplied.

Is it usual for such a HVAC system to only supply one Zone at a time
with hot water because of the amount of hot water required?

If so would turning off the Garage circuit, by setting the Thermostat
to OFF, make the other hot water circuits become active?

I was sort of cold, while my cars were getting toasty. Sort of silly
really. Just wondering how I could avoid this ....

Best, Mike.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message

After a power outtage, when the system came back on. All the hot water
went to Zone one the garage circuit. After the garage was warmed up,
then the rest of the house was supplied.

Is it usual for such a HVAC system to only supply one Zone at a time
with hot water because of the amount of hot water required?

No. It should be able to run each independent of others.
The pwer failure may have tripped something or a su rge whent he power came
back on may have caused damage. I'd do some experimenting to see if each
will work on its own by turning the garage off and tu rnign each of hte oth
ers way up to see if they come one. If not, you need repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What you will probably find is that there is a control panel mounted on or
near the boiler. It probably says Taco and is green, or Argo and is black.
This encloses the relays that control the circulators for each zone. These
units are designed to use a "priority" relay for a domestic hot water
indirect tank. It's purpose is to kill all other zones until the hot water
maker is satisfied. My guess is that your garage is connected to this
"priority zone". If so, open the control box and find the priority switch
and turn it to off, it will be clearly marked

"hobbes" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 8:34*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"hobbes" wrote in message

On Feb 11, 3:35 pm, "RBM" wrote:

What you will probably find is that there is a control panel mounted on or
near the boiler. It probably says Taco and is green, or Argo and is black.
This encloses the relays that control the circulators for each zone. These
units are designed to use a "priority" relay for a domestic hot water
indirect tank. It's purpose is to kill all other zones until the hot water
maker is satisfied. My guess is that your garage is connected to this
"priority zone". If so, open the control box and find the priority switch
and turn it to off, it will be clearly marked

Hi RBM,

Yes I think you ar right. It is a green box and it says TACO SR 504,
which is the controller. One more question if I may. If I went into
the garage and turned the thermostat setting to off (as opposed to
COOL-OFF-HEAT I have three settings). Would that mean the garage would
no longer call for heat. Therefore the priority would then switch to
one of the other heating zone circuits? Hence I could be toasty and
the cars would remain cold ... which is good .

Best, Mike.

"hobbes" wrote in message

[...]

Mike, zone 4 of that controller is the priority zone, which is connected to
your garage zone. If you have an indirect water heater being controlled by
the 504, it should be connected to this zone. In any event, I would turn off
the priority switch, which you'll find inside the control on the upper right
side. This way any zone that calls for heat gets it...equally- Hide quoted text -

Thanks RBM. Your kind help is much appreciated. warmest regards, Mike.

Two zone HVAC advice Ed B Home Repair 3 July 12th 07 02:11 AM
Domestic CH - to zone or not to zone... Mike Barnard UK diy 34 July 3rd 07 04:33 PM
Multi-zone heating system controls/BMS systems John Stumbles UK diy 4 February 13th 05 09:54 PM
HVAC Heating Zone question TN Home Repair 28 September 17th 04 03:02 PM
thermostat compatibility for 2 zone hot water heating w/o zone valves Glacier Home Ownership 1 September 26th 03 02:01 AM