Posted to alt.home.repair
RSC RSC is offline

Default Well water pumps starts with a bang

My well water pumps start up with a "bang" about 8 out of 10 times.
Before I go replacing things willy-nilly I thought I would ask
around.

The baldder in my holding tank in not leaking, it hold it's pressure
of about 38LB.
My pressure settings is 41 on/low to 59 off/high
Well pump is only 2 yesr old.

Any thoughts anybody?

Thank you in advance.

RSC
http://www.schmooseme.net for fun

Posted to alt.home.repair

RSC wrote:
My well water pumps start up with a "bang" about 8 out of 10 times.
Before I go replacing things willy-nilly I thought I would ask
around.

The baldder in my holding tank in not leaking, it hold it's pressure
of about 38LB.
My pressure settings is 41 on/low to 59 off/high
Well pump is only 2 yesr old.

Any thoughts anybody?

Thank you in advance.

RSC
http://www.schmooseme.net for fun

Deep submersible? Jet pump?

Is the bang at the instant the pump starts,
or a bit later as pressure builds?

Where do you hear the sound come from?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 5:40*am, RSC wrote:
My well water pumps start up with a "bang" about 8 out of 10 times.
Before I go replacing things willy-nilly I thought I would ask
around.

The baldder in my holding tank in not leaking, it hold it's pressure
of about 38LB.
My pressure settings is 41 on/low to 59 off/high
Well pump is only 2 yesr old.

Any thoughts anybody?

Thank you in advance.

RSChttp://www.schmooseme.netfor fun

Sounds like pump and tank are normal. All I can think of is a pipe
loose in a hanger banging against something.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
RSC RSC is offline

The pump is submersible and the bang happends right when it starts. I
can't realy tell where it's comming from. I put my ear on the tank
and my hand on the check valve and still the whole thing just bangs.
No pipes touching a wall. I will replace the check valve, that makes
the most sense.

RSC

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 4:18*am, RSC wrote:
The pump is submersible and the bang happends right when it starts. *I
can't realy tell where it's comming from. *I put my ear on the tank
and my hand on the check valve and still the whole thing just bangs.
No pipes touching a wall. *I will replace the check valve, that makes
the most sense.

RSC

Thanks

Shouldn't be (but commonly is) a checkvalve except for the one built
into the pump.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
RSC RSC is offline

I replaced the check valve and the bang is still there. It is a bit
quiter as the pipe may have been hitting the wall making the sound
louder. The bang sound is not killing me but does anyone think it is
bad for my pump to keep banging like that?

Thanks
RSC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RSC" wrote in message

I replaced the check valve and the bang is still there. It is a bit
quiter as the pipe may have been hitting the wall making the sound
louder. The bang sound is not killing me but does anyone think it is
bad for my pump to keep banging like that?

Thanks
RSC

Certainly is bad for something, Pipe, pump, wires, eventually something will
give.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"RSC" wrote in message
I replaced the check valve and the bang is still there. It is a bit
quiter as the pipe may have been hitting the wall making the sound
louder. The bang sound is not killing me but does anyone think it is
bad for my pump to keep banging like that?

Thanks
RSC

Certainly is bad for something, Pipe, pump, wires, eventually something will
give.

I forget--was this a deep well pump? Snubber failed, perhaps?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RSC RSC is offline

deep yes, what's a snubber?

I know I'm asking for it with that question........

RSC
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RSC wrote:
deep yes, what's a snubber?

I know I'm asking for it with that question........

Anti-rotation device to prevent pump rotation...perhaps its the pump
itself hitting casing when it starts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RSC RSC is offline

I would say, if that's the case, my days are numbered till I get a
broken service wire or worse. This spring I'll have to stick my head
in the well and listen.

Thanks for the info!

RSC
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RSC wrote:
I would say, if that's the case, my days are numbered till I get a
broken service wire or worse. This spring I'll have to stick my head
in the well and listen.

That would be my guess as most likely failure followed by a fatigue
failure of the discharge pipe at the pump outlet...