Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2" abs pipe extenders

I have been trying to find these, but only come up with pvc. I have bought
abs from local pool supply houses in the past, but now all they have is pvc.
I need a bunch to fix a solar systems. Any leads?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have been trying to find these, but only come up with pvc. I have bought
abs from local pool supply houses in the past, but now all they have is
pvc. I need a bunch to fix a solar systems. Any leads?

Steve

Is this ABS different than the regular ABS pipe and fittings you get from
your local plumbing supply store?

I buy ABS pipe and fittings all the time from Ferguson Plumbing which is a
local supply house. You may have one near you; or at least a plumbing
supply house.

Plumbers have to get their ABS from somewhere. :-)

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
. ..

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have been trying to find these, but only come up with pvc. I have
bought abs from local pool supply houses in the past, but now all they
have is pvc. I need a bunch to fix a solar systems. Any leads?

Steve

Is this ABS different than the regular ABS pipe and fittings you get from
your local plumbing supply store?

I buy ABS pipe and fittings all the time from Ferguson Plumbing which is a
local supply house. You may have one near you; or at least a plumbing
supply house.

Plumbers have to get their ABS from somewhere. :-)

Tim

These are unusual. Most people just say .......... huh?

Their proper name is pipe extenders, although I have heard them called
couplers. They fit inside to inside which is different than most abs pipe.
I have only seen them once at one pool supply co. I can get pvc, but not
sure if abs and pvc will glue together well. Asked that question, but
didn't get an answer yet. I need a couple dozen of them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 9, 12:35*am, "SteveB" wrote:

snip

*I can get pvc, but not
sure if abs and pvc will glue together well. *Asked that question, but
didn't get an answer yet. *I need a couple dozen of them.

An earlier post reply on this topic mentioned using PVC cement on the
PVC part, ABS cement on the ABS part and quickly assembling the two.
IIRC after a decade or so of service the joint was functional. Worth a
try, no doubt. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this ABS different than the regular ABS pipe and fittings you get from
your local plumbing supply store?

These are unusual. Most people just say .......... huh?

Their proper name is pipe extenders, although I have heard them called
couplers. They fit inside to inside which is different than most abs
pipe. I have only seen them once at one pool supply co. I can get pvc,
but not sure if abs and pvc will glue together well. Asked that question,
but didn't get an answer yet. I need a couple dozen of them.

Ok Steve, you made me go find out what you have. lol

I put in ABS PIPE EXTENDER in Yahoo and got this;

http://www.a1poolparts.com/Categories.bok

Plumbing | PVC Pipe and Fittings
Pipe Extender
Pipe Extender. Available in 1.5" and 2".
MSRP: $4.75
Base Price: $3.27
You Save $1.48

And from the picture, you can see the color is not a white PVC, but a more
off-white color and probably a ABS material. They have a color picture on
the site in the link above. Check them out.

Also might try;
http://www.californiapoolsupply.net/

They listed Pipe Extenders and are a pool supply store.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks so much. I have bookmarked both. When I went to one, it wouldn't
load after about five minutes. At the second, I couldn't get a picture of
the particular pipe extender.

My solar heater is made up of 2' pieces of a pipe with a bell, glued
together. The little pipes come off the side. When one of the joints
leaks, you have to cut it and put the extender inside both pieces, because a
coupler is only big enough to slide over one portion, with the bell side
being too big. I may search out a 2" x 2 1/2 " and see if that is big
enough, but that doesn't seal the leak. When the pipe extender is put
inside the pipe, it goes in deep enough to get past the original seat of the
pipe to bell. Hope that makes sense and explains why I need such a specific
item.

They're $9+ PER EACH at the local pool store!

Steve