Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing standards

Hi All,

Today I spent 15 minutes fixing a bathtub faucet -- but I spent over 2
hours looking for proprietary parts. Does the lack of plumbing
standards seem particularly absurd to anyone else?

I'm wondering what it would take to force some standards on this out
of control industry?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Plumbing fittings have standards, however faucets and other fixtures used in
bathrooms and kitchens are all about style, fashion, colour and look just
the same as cars. Do you think that you can find a standard car steering
wheel. No, you must replace one with the same brand and model as the
original manufacturer designed for that car. The biggest peeve that I have
with faucets and many other items used in houses, is that the manufacturer
does not always identify the fact that they made them. While I don't like to
see the manufacturer's logo or name emblazoned on a faucet, I would
appreciate their name in a inconspicuous location, so I know where to go for
parts.

"Jeff Morgan" wrote in message
Hi All,

Today I spent 15 minutes fixing a bathtub faucet -- but I spent over 2
hours looking for proprietary parts. Does the lack of plumbing
standards seem particularly absurd to anyone else?

I'm wondering what it would take to force some standards on this out
of control industry?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 8, 3:37*pm, Jeff Morgan wrote:
Hi All,

Today I spent 15 minutes fixing a bathtub faucet -- but I spent over 2
hours looking for proprietary parts. *Does the lack of plumbing
standards seem particularly absurd to anyone else?

I'm wondering what it would take to force some standards on this out
of control industry?

That stands about the same chance as making Microsoft market bug-free
sensibly priced software. Sad.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 8, 5:40*pm, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
wrote:
Jeff Morgan wrote:
Hi All,

Today I spent 15 minutes fixing a bathtub faucet -- but I spent over 2
hours looking for proprietary parts. *Does the lack of plumbing
standards seem particularly absurd to anyone else?

I'm wondering what it would take to force some standards on this out
of control industry?

Packing is packing and faucet washers are faucet washers I've always
found. They don't have to be exact to work. What else do you need to
change unless you want to change the whole thing?
Try the internet. One time I found some new stems on line for a mongrel
faucet I bought at Home Depot. The person's pipes froze and broke the
stem so the faucet always dripped.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

Blame your selfs as the industry is driven by two things Life time
warranty and looks, never have a promblem if tap is 15 yrs or older
buy a new one post a jpeg Ile tell you what it is and if worth fixing