Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Support Beam cover

Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?

Thanks!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

mike wrote:
Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?

Thanks!!

A box-beam cover - Google it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 4:08 pm, mike wrote:
Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?

Have it chrome plated and build a stage around it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 3:25*pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
Hey guys. *In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. *What are my options to pretty this up a bit? *What kind
of covers are available?

Thanks!!

A box-beam cover - Google it.

I googled it and found levels. I didn't find anything. Actually, I
think we might be talking about something else. I mean a pillar from
the floor to the ceiling. Sorry, I don't have a very good
construction vocabulary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On Feb 8, 3:25 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?

Thanks!!

A box-beam cover - Google it.

I googled it and found levels. I didn't find anything. Actually, I
think we might be talking about something else. I mean a pillar from
the floor to the ceiling. Sorry, I don't have a very good
construction vocabulary.

Sometimes called a column or a lally column. I've seen them framed and
boxed in with drywall, rope wrapped around them, fake decorative columns put
around them, or just painted. I've heard that there are covers for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

mike wrote:
On Feb 8, 3:25 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?
Thanks!!

A box-beam cover - Google it.

I googled it and found levels. I didn't find anything. Actually, I
think we might be talking about something else. I mean a pillar from
the floor to the ceiling. Sorry, I don't have a very good
construction vocabulary.

Ooops - ok - *vertical*! You can get hollow decorative pillars to encase
the beam, or use the same idea as a box-beam - make it look like an old 8x8
rough hewn support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 4:08*pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
On Feb 8, 3:25 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
Hey guys. *In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. *What are my options to pretty this up a bit? *What kind
of covers are available?
Thanks!!
A box-beam cover - Google it.

I googled it and found levels. *I didn't find anything. *Actually, I
think we might be talking about something else. *I mean a pillar from
the floor to the ceiling. *Sorry, I don't have a very good
construction vocabulary.

Ooops - ok - *vertical*! *You can get hollow decorative pillars to encase
the beam, or use the same idea as a box-beam - make it look like an old 8x8
rough hewn support.

OK, thanks. BTW, what is the proper name for what I am talking about?
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

mike wrote:
On Feb 8, 4:08 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
On Feb 8, 3:25 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?
Thanks!!
A box-beam cover - Google it.
I googled it and found levels. I didn't find anything. Actually, I
think we might be talking about something else. I mean a pillar from
the floor to the ceiling. Sorry, I don't have a very good
construction vocabulary.

Ooops - ok - *vertical*! You can get hollow decorative pillars to encase
the beam, or use the same idea as a box-beam - make it look like an old 8x8
rough hewn support.

OK, thanks. BTW, what is the proper name for what I am talking about?

Jack post cover?
http://www.royalmouldings.com/HowToF...k%20P ost.pdf

Decorative pillar?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?

Thanks!!

They are called lally or lolly columns. I use these in my basement. Hold up
very well, year 4 of kids climbing all over them and still look like the day
they were put in. http://www.lollywrap.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Support Beam cover - BoxBeam.jpg (0/1)

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:08:08 -0800 (PST), mike wrote:

Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?

Thanks!!

I bought about 200 feet of 1/2" rope.
Started at the base in the back of the pole with a dab of Liquid Nails and a
clamp to hold it until it dryed. The I just rolled it TIGHTLY arount the pole
all the way to the top. About every 12" I added another dab of LN for the heck
of it. When I got to the top, I glued about 4" with LN at the back and clamped
it overnight. 20 Years later it looks like new and blends in with a rustic theme
I used.

For the transverse beam, I LN'ed and clamped 2x4's along the edge of the beam/
Then I used 1x6 cedar, again LN'ed against the bottom of the beam, and screwed
into the 2x4 on the reverse edge. After that set for two days, I nailed more
cedar, 1x8, to the bottom piece of 1x4 and a 1x2 runner I nailed to the ceiling
joist. Also still in place 20 years later.
(I may have attached a jpg of the beam if I did it right)

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:

Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?

Thanks!!

Mine was just sheetrocked along with the rest of the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Support Beam cover - BoxBeam.jpg (1/1)

RedOne77 wrote:

(snip .jpg file that is discouraged in this group.)

1. It was actually the lally column that OP wants to cover, not the I-beam.

2. You seem to have left some screws out of your diagram. Nothing holds
the sides on, other than gravity on the 2x4 sitting on the shelf of the
I-beam. The 2x4s aren't really needed anyway- just some long drywall
screws into the plate above the beam will hold the sides with no
problem. If you want to get fancy, add a cleat to the inside bottom of
the side rails to catch the bottom board, or use 5/4 stock for the
sides, and cut a kerf on a table saw. No good way to specify exactly
without seeing the basement in question.
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 3:28 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
On Feb 8, 4:08 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
On Feb 8, 3:25 pm, a wrote:
mike wrote:
Hey guys. In my finished basement there is a support beam right in
the middle. What are my options to pretty this up a bit? What kind
of covers are available?
Thanks!!
A box-beam cover - Google it.
I googled it and found levels. I didn't find anything. Actually, I
think we might be talking about something else. I mean a pillar from
the floor to the ceiling. Sorry, I don't have a very good
construction vocabulary.
Ooops - ok - *vertical*! You can get hollow decorative pillars to encase
the beam, or use the same idea as a box-beam - make it look like an old 8x8
rough hewn support.

OK, thanks. BTW, what is the proper name for what I am talking about?

Jack post cover?http://www.royalmouldings.com/HowToF...tructions%20fo...

Decorative pillar?

Could go to Bed Bath and Beyond, and buy a pillar cover...

(sorry)

Support beam cracking kittiwakecoast Home Repair 10 September 15th 06 04:05 AM
Wall support over I beam RzB UK diy 2 July 22nd 06 09:20 PM
Busted my carport support beam. coustanis Home Repair 18 December 8th 05 07:04 AM
Bowed support beam nmyers Home Ownership 3 September 8th 04 07:21 PM
Beam to support floor?? Mastermech Home Repair 1 August 16th 04 06:28 PM