Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pre-pasted wallpaper -- does the adhesive deteriorate in storage?

We have some pre-pasted wallpaper we bought about 5 years ago and never
used. Now, in a new house, we're trying to use it, but it doesn't want
to stick -- not just at the edges, but anywhere. Yes, I have followed
the instructions: immerse in water -- reverse rolled -- for no more than
15 seconds, then leave for 5 minutes with the wet pasted surfaces in
contact.

The layer of paste seems very thin -- almost non-existent -- and the
paper doesn't slide around easily for careful positioning like some
other pre-pasted paper I used recently.

Or is this just crappy wallpaper?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

Could be crappy paper or old paper. I've decided after many experiences
like yours to just paste the stuff with real paste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

We have some pre-pasted wallpaper we bought about 5 years ago and
never used. Now, in a new house, we're trying to use it, but it
doesn't want to stick -- not just at the edges, but anywhere. Yes, I
have followed the instructions: immerse in water -- reverse rolled --
for no more than 15 seconds, then leave for 5 minutes with the wet
pasted surfaces in contact.

The layer of paste seems very thin -- almost non-existent -- and the
paper doesn't slide around easily for careful positioning like some
other pre-pasted paper I used recently.

Or is this just crappy wallpaper?

Perce

I did the same, and the results were not great. It is still up, but it
was cheap stuff that I kept for several years before tackling
the chore. Seams want to loosen just a tiny bit. I bought the same
paper, different color, and put it up right away. Borth
are in bathrooms. The one I papered right away is fine.

An old pro told me to use half-strength paste to put up pre-pasted
paper. The paper I used includes those
instructions now. Wallpaper is like paint - no point in using cheap
versions of either, as it is too
much work to do over again. I plan on this paper lasting for my
lifetime (I'm old )