Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

On Feb 8, 10:57*am, Harry K wrote:
Have you used one, or are you just armchair babbling?

I believe the post you quoted answered that question. *But no, I have
not used one. *Have no need to do so and when I have to shovel I will
use something that is not a clumsy abortion.

OK, so you are armchair babbling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If there's 6-9" of fresh snow on the ground in the morning, I'm sure you
or your wife will be far from the only folks a little late to work that
day...

Actually, our snow is usually limited to our elevation. Go down the road
just a mile or two and there's usually nothing. People at work give you
this "yeah right" response when you tell them you're late because of snow.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 9:07*am, Nexus7 wrote:
On Feb 8, 10:57*am, Harry K wrote:

Have you used one, or are you just armchair babbling?

I believe the post you quoted answered that question. *But no, I have
not used one. *Have no need to do so and when I have to shovel I will
use something that is not a clumsy abortion.

OK, so you are armchair babbling.

Whatever but I am sorry you suckered on it. Guess you do have to try
to justify it. What did it cost? Lasst I saw IIRC was $69. The one
I saw demonstrated was $24 out of a junk shop. Buyer pitched it after
that.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HerHusband wrote:
If there's 6-9" of fresh snow on the ground in the morning, I'm sure you
or your wife will be far from the only folks a little late to work that
day...

Actually, our snow is usually limited to our elevation. Go down the road
just a mile or two and there's usually nothing. People at work give you
this "yeah right" response when you tell them you're late because of snow.

So, they're uninformed--you the only people living at that elevation in
the county? Seems unlikely...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 9:21*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 8, 9:07*am, Nexus7 wrote:

On Feb 8, 10:57*am, Harry K wrote:

Have you used one, or are you just armchair babbling?

*But no, I have not used one.

*
OK, so you are armchair babbling.

Whatever but I am sorry you suckered on it. *Guess you do have to try
to justify it. *What did it cost? *Lasst I saw IIRC was $69. *The one
I saw demonstrated was $24 out of a junk shop. *Buyer pitched it after

Let me see if I can get through to this imbecile "Harry K."
You never used one, so you have abso no idea how well it works.
I wasn't suckered into it, in fact, I've gotten excellent use out of
it.

You, on the other hand, are continuing to babble on about something
which you have no experience with.

So, once again - why exactly do you think this device doesn't work as
advertised?
Put up, imbecile, or shut up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:28:41 -0600, HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Pete,

you're not reading what I said. There are plenty of cars
capable of handling on-road snow just fine.

I'm reading you fine, but I have no interest in buying a new vehicle right
now. We're quite happy with our cars. 350+ days a year the roads are clear
and completely passable. The remaining two weeks aren't enough to make AWD
a significant factor for choosing a car. And even during a snow storm, it's
not an issue once we get down off our hill.

We're VW folks. I've been driving a 1976 Rabbit for the last 18 years, and
had a few Rabbits before that. My wife drives a 1986 Jetta, and has had a
few VW's in the past too. With a good set of all-season tires, we
generally have no problem coming or going. There's just a couple of steep
spots in our driveway that are problematic, and when the snow gets deeper
than the underside of the car it's not so easy going.

We can go anywhere we want to if we chain up, but I'd rather not chain up
just to drive 150 feet out to the road.

Anthony

Sorry to drop in on this thread rather late. We live in Iowa. This
has been one of the worst winters we have had in many years. We have
an eight horse Ahrens (or however you spell it) two stage snow blower
that will handle just about anything except very wet snow. That plugs
the shoot and we have to take it out of gear, wait until we are
absolutely sure the auger and all other moving part have come to a
complete stop. Then we dig it out of the shoot with a small round
point shovel we have. We back up a ways and put it back in gear. If we
are lucky we will be able to move along quite awhile, but not always.
We live on a four lane main street and our driveway gets filled a
number of times before they are done. I don't cuss at them because I
ran one of those plows for 34 years, but I don't have to like it.

This winter some of our snows have been in excess of 6" with drifting,
while others have only been 1"-3" of the fluffy stuff that is hardly
worth using the machine on. Unfortunately I strained my back on the
very first snow and the doctor told my wife she has to do the
shoveling and learn to use the snow blower. Actually, she's pretty
darned good at it.

She has been asking me if we can look at one of the light weight
electric snow blowers that she could use on the lighter snows by next
fall before the first snows come in December. I have to confess that I
have thought about that for a number of years, but just have never
followed through with it. Our driveway is over 90' from the street to
the garage and then there is a turn around area behind the house and
of course the rather large dog run that we try to keep clean so it's
easier to pick up their droppings.

We have two lawn mowers; one is a rechargeable electric and the other
is a corded electric and we love them both. No gas, no oil, no spark
plug. Just sharpen the blade once or twice a year.

Our neighbor has a light weight gas Toro snow blower and they have a
gravel driveway. She has it adjusted up just enough that it doesn't
throw gravel at her hour or ours.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would like to have a 4-wheel ATV with a plow on it, but just cannot
justify the cost of even a used one. Besides I am not the type to take
one mud running or any of that other stuff the young pups around here
do with theirs.

Take care and be well.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

She has been asking me if we can look at one of the light weight
electric snow blowers that she could use on the lighter snows by next
fall before the first snows come in December. I have to confess that I
have thought about that for a number of years, but just have never
followed through with it. Our driveway is over 90' from the street

I ended up buying the Toro 1800 electric snowblower for $300. It took less
than 30 minutes to assemble, and we still had patches of snow around I
could try it out on.

I didn't have much snow to test it with, but I think it's going to work
very well. Our driveway is about 150-200 feet long, but with a 100' cord
and an outlet on our pumphouse about halfway up, I can reach the entire
drive.

The snow we had left was mostly packed wet snow from earlier shoveling. The
Toro 1800 had no problem going through it. I was impressed. With some of
the taller piles I just lifted it up and set it on top, then worked my way
down through the snow bank. Quick and easy.

We have a gravel driveway, and yes, it picks up tiny bits of gravel here
and there, but no more than hand shoveling does. Of course, the blower
throws the stones so I'm careful to aim the shoot where the stones (or snow
for that matter) won't hit anything.

Now I just have to wait for our next snow fall, which we probably won't see
till sometime next year.

The only real gripe I have with the Toro 1800 is the handle height is not
adjustable. I'm six feet tall and the handle is kind of low. It gets worse
when I try to tip the blower up slightly to avoid picking up stones. My
back gets kind of sore from all that bending over, but it's still better
than shoveling.

Take care,

Anthony