Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grout for laundry room floor

Hi,
We are preparing to spruce up our laundry room. The room has a tile
floor with several areas where the grout has broken up. My assumption
is that this is due to the vibration from the washing machine and that
the issue will re-occur if I simply repair the situation with standard
grout. Even though the best approach would be to remove the tile and
replace it with something else, we would like to avoid taking on the
mess and effort of this approach. Can anyone recommend a type of
grout that would be suitable for use on floor tiles, that would flex
enough for use in a laundry room?

Thanks,
Stu
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 5:15*pm, Stu Pidassle wrote:
Hi,
We are preparing to spruce up our laundry room. *The room has a tile
floor with several areas where the grout has broken up. *My assumption
is that this is due to the vibration from the washing machine and that
the issue will re-occur if I simply repair the situation with standard
grout. *Even though the best approach would be to remove the tile and
replace it with something else, we would like to avoid taking on the
mess and effort of this approach. *Can anyone recommend a type of
grout that would be suitable for use on floor tiles, that would flex
enough for use in a laundry room?

Thanks,
Stu

Hi Stu,
I had a similar problem so I spread the load by putting a concrete
block (2x2) under the machine. So far so good. It doesnt have to
concrete, it depends how much the machine is moving. Hope thisis of
some help.

Kindest Regards
Mick
Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

It sounds like the tile was placed on a subfloor that is ill-suited to
ceramic tile, like a plywood subfloor. You may need to replace the entire
floor anyway if you want tile atop it, and use Durock or some other brand
concrete board as the sub-floor material. Then use the usual grout, and you
will not have the problem.

"Stu Pidassle" wrote in message
Hi,
We are preparing to spruce up our laundry room. The room has a tile
floor with several areas where the grout has broken up. My assumption
is that this is due to the vibration from the washing machine and that
the issue will re-occur if I simply repair the situation with standard
grout. Even though the best approach would be to remove the tile and
replace it with something else, we would like to avoid taking on the
mess and effort of this approach. Can anyone recommend a type of
grout that would be suitable for use on floor tiles, that would flex
enough for use in a laundry room?

Thanks,
Stu

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If the grout is cracking and coming out, then the tile is loose as well. No
amount of grouting will fix the problem permanently. You will need to
re-tile the floor. This will have to be done properly, and on a floor that
doesn't move/vibrate. The rule of thumb is that the plywood base should be
at least 1 1/4" thick, then you add the cement board and thin-set mortar and
tiles. Yours probably is done the way I see too many TV shows doing it, with
glue or thin-set directly onto the plywood subfloor -- a guarantee of
failure in the future.

"Stu Pidassle" wrote in message
Hi,
We are preparing to spruce up our laundry room. The room has a tile
floor with several areas where the grout has broken up. My assumption
is that this is due to the vibration from the washing machine and that
the issue will re-occur if I simply repair the situation with standard
grout. Even though the best approach would be to remove the tile and
replace it with something else, we would like to avoid taking on the
mess and effort of this approach. Can anyone recommend a type of
grout that would be suitable for use on floor tiles, that would flex
enough for use in a laundry room?

Thanks,
Stu

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stu Pidassle wrote:
Hi,
We are preparing to spruce up our laundry room. The room has a tile
floor with several areas where the grout has broken up. My assumption
is that this is due to the vibration from the washing machine and that
the issue will re-occur if I simply repair the situation with standard
grout. Even though the best approach would be to remove the tile and
replace it with something else, we would like to avoid taking on the
mess and effort of this approach. Can anyone recommend a type of
grout that would be suitable for use on floor tiles, that would flex
enough for use in a laundry room?

Would this do?
http://www.ardex.com/prod-fl-inst.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 8:02*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stu Pidassle wrote:
Hi,
We are preparing to spruce up our laundry room. *The room has a tile
floor with several areas where the grout has broken up. *My assumption
is that this is due to the vibration from the washing machine and that
the issue will re-occur if I simply repair the situation with standard
grout. *Even though the best approach would be to remove the tile and
replace it with something else, we would like to avoid taking on the
mess and effort of this approach. *Can anyone recommend a type of
grout that would be suitable for use on floor tiles, that would flex
enough for use in a laundry room?

Would this do?http://www.ardex.com/prod-fl-inst.htm

That certainly seems much more promising than the advice I got from
the local tile specialty store who suggested that I use extra latex in
the grout mix. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Appropriate flooring for a mudroom/laundry room [email protected] Home Repair 15 October 23rd 07 05:15 PM
NEED HELP- 2nd Floor Laundry room floor Jack Home Repair 5 October 5th 07 04:26 PM
laundry room Patt Home Repair 2 June 18th 07 08:08 PM
Drain question for laundry room floor Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 7 December 7th 04 08:02 PM
Laundry Room "Flood Saver" Larry Davick Home Repair 2 August 31st 03 01:54 AM