Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help! Hot Water Leak in the Shower!!

I have a hot water leak in the shower which I am trying to fix. I
have done the following:
1) replaced the valve seat,
2) replaced the valve stems (American Standard compression valve
stems)
3) have checked that the seat is positioned correctly

Yet the leak continues unabated...I'm open to new ideas and
suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 11:40�pm, lefthanderla wrote:
I have a hot water leak in the shower which I am trying to fix. �I
have done the following:
1) replaced the valve seat,
2) replaced the valve stems (American Standard compression valve
stems)
3) have checked that the seat is positioned correctly

Yet the leak continues unabated...I'm open to new ideas and
suggestions.

i had so many troubles with new parts that were no longer compatible i
bit the bullet and replaced the entire mess with a delta temperature
balance with flow control valve, my only regret i didnt do it sooner.

compare carefullt the old and new valve stems, i found the new made in
china ones were slightly different.

is the leak a drip or in the wall leak?

Posted to alt.home.repair

lefthanderla wrote:
I have a hot water leak in the shower which I am trying to fix. I
have done the following:
1) replaced the valve seat,
2) replaced the valve stems (American Standard compression valve
stems)
3) have checked that the seat is positioned correctly

Yet the leak continues unabated...I'm open to new ideas and
suggestions.

When you replaced the seat, did you use sealant (pipe dope)
on the seat threads? If not, water can seep past the threads.
I wouldn't use Teflon tape for this.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 7:06 am, Speedy Jim wrote:
lefthanderla wrote:
I have a hot water leak in the shower which I am trying to fix. I
have done the following:
1) replaced the valve seat,
2) replaced the valve stems (American Standard compression valve
stems)
3) have checked that the seat is positioned correctly

Yet the leak continues unabated...I'm open to new ideas and
suggestions.

When you replaced the seat, did you use sealant (pipe dope)
on the seat threads? If not, water can seep past the threads.
I wouldn't use Teflon tape for this.

Jim

Is that the same thing as plumber's grease? I did use that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lefthanderla wrote:

I have a hot water leak in the shower which I am trying to fix. I
have done the following:
1) replaced the valve seat,
2) replaced the valve stems (American Standard compression valve
stems)
3) have checked that the seat is positioned correctly

Yet the leak continues unabated...I'm open to new ideas and
suggestions.

When you replaced the seat, did you use sealant (pipe dope)
on the seat threads? If not, water can seep past the threads.
I wouldn't use Teflon tape for this.

Jim

Is that the same thing as plumber's grease? I did use that.

No, not grease. Water pressure will just squeeze it out.

Like this:
http://www.herchem.com/products/thread_sealants.html
You can get a small tube.
Get all the grease off first.

You can also use LocTite, one of the non-permanent types.

Jim

Leak from Shower Bob Simon Home Repair 3 January 23rd 07 05:43 PM
Leak in Shower [email protected] Home Repair 10 November 4th 06 05:31 PM
Help with shower leak [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 26th 06 01:40 PM
Shower leak Dan Harms Home Repair 8 October 21st 03 01:03 AM