Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pocket Door Repair?

I have a pocket door between th MBR and MBath.

Its in the wall, i.e. in the full open position. Hasn't really worked
since I bought the house in 1978. Doesn't clear the rug side of the
passageway between he bedroom and the bathroom.

I'm going to be re - carpeting the MBR and installing a tile floor in
the MBath.

I know that I can re do the carpet and the tile floor leaving the poket door
in the wall.

As long as I'm going to be doing the capet and a new tile floor in the
bath,
I figure I might a well get the door operating.

The configuration of the rooms is such that replacement with a standard
door
will not work. (Hey, I only bought the place, I didn't design it.)

Long ago I saw a TV piece on "Ask These Four Idiots" about repairing
pocket doors. Of course I didn't videotape it (gives you an idea about
how long ago this was). I'm looking for that piece. Anybody have any idea
on where to findit, or a link o it.

I am separately Googling for material on pocket door repair.

If any body has already got some URL cites to sites dealing with pocket door
repair, I dappreciate it if you would share those with me.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
I have a pocket door between th MBR and MBath.

Its in the wall, i.e. in the full open position. Hasn't really worked
since I bought the house in 1978. Doesn't clear the rug side of the
passageway between he bedroom and the bathroom.

First you have to figure out how YOUR pocket door works. Most doors hang
from two sets of rollers and each roller set has an independed height
adjustment. If luck is with you it might be possible to adjust your way
out of your problem.

Note that it may be necessary to remove some trim to make the adjustment.
(Try using offset screwdrivers first.) It's almost always necessary to
remove trim to replace broken parts. If you house is "pre war" it might be
impossible to get drop in replacement parts and you will have to adapt
whatever your big box stores happens to stock. "Modern" doors usually use
plastic guides to keep the door from banging into the frame, for example.

If there are several broken or missing parts, you might just want to buy a
complete pocket door kit from your Big Box store. This will replace ALL
the metal hardware and in the future replacement parts will be easier to
come by.

As with any door, if you might have to trim to provide easy movement over
carpeting or new flooring.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:41:07 -0800, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

[...]

http://johnsonhardware.com/

PDF install files:

http://johnsonhardware.com/install.htm

HTH

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Is being too low the only problem? If so, take off the door opening
trim at the top so you have access to the track and trolleys. The
trolleys slide in the track and are attached to the door top. There
will be some way of lowering/leveling the door incorporated into the
trolleys.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

[...]

Take a look here.

http://www.johnsonhardware.com/pdindex.htm

Boden

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:54:12 -0500, Boden wrote:

dadiOH wrote:

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

[...]

Use a carpenter square and check the bottom of the door. It may need a
trim job!

Also has universal parts.

http://johnsonhardware.com/universal.htm

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:54:12 -0500, Boden wrote:

dadiOH wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS

"Is being too low the only problem?"

No.

It is too low to clarthe carpet and the "brass" tack strip or edging used
by the carpet installer.

It is also apparently off the track at top end nearest opening.

It also would not ever mate up properly with the "strike plate" in the
door jamb
long long ago. The little "J" shaped hook / latch would never lock
into the
striker plate so that the door would lock.

Door has what I thik is a lot of "play" in it, from side to side. I can
deflect oor about a 1/2 inch
either way toward the MBR or M Bath as it sits in pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:54:12 -0500, Boden wrote:

dadiOH wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS

"Is being too low the only problem?"

No.

It is too low to clarthe carpet and the "brass" tack strip or edging used
by the carpet installer.

It is also apparently off the track at top end nearest opening.

It also would not ever mate up properly with the "strike plate" in the
door jamb
long long ago. The little "J" shaped hook / latch would never lock
into the
striker plate so that the door would lock.

Door has what I thik is a lot of "play" in it, from side to side. I can
deflect oor about a 1/2 inch
either way toward the MBR or M Bath as it sits in pocket.

Being off the track at the opening end would lower that end so it rubs
against the carpet. It would also lower the "j" hook. Getting the door
back on the track would solve both problems.

Regarding side-to-side play, go here,
http://johnsonhardware.com/images/pdf/200pd.pdf, and look at part E.
These guides, attached to the bottom of the trim are what keeps the door
centered.

pocket door hardware todd Woodworking 5 September 15th 06 03:49 PM
OT? need help casing a pocket door Tom Nie Woodworking 8 March 24th 06 07:23 PM
Adapt standard door to pocket door---Locks NoSpecialName Home Repair 2 November 14th 05 03:15 AM
Pocket door handymart Home Repair 0 July 14th 05 11:02 PM
Pocket door daler Home Repair 5 March 2nd 05 04:06 PM