DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rewiring A 3-way Switched Outlet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/231794-rewiring-3-way-switched-outlet.html)

DerbyDad03 January 28th 08 05:35 PM

Rewiring A 3-way Switched Outlet

I have a 1950's house with an outlet in the living room that is
controlled by two 3-way switches. I would like to make this outlet
"always hot".

Here's the setup:

One 3-way switch for the outlet is housed in a triple-wide box with
two other 3 switches that control the 1st & 2nd floor landing lights.
The other 3-way switch is housed in a double wide box with a SPST for
a kitchen light.

The outlet (1st floor), the kitchen light (1st floor) and the 2nd
floor landing light are on one circuit. The 1st floor landing light is
on a different circuit (a 2nd floor circuit). Both of these circuits
share one neutral.

I know how the 3-way switches are wired, so I know I could simply move
some wires between terminals to make the outlet always hot, (which I
won't do!) but I'd really like to know the "proper" way to do it.
i.e. eliminate the switches for the outlet, patch the wall, replace
the switch plates, etc. Is it proper to retain the existing 3-way
switch wiring and make wirenut connections inside the switch boxes and
then cover a portion of the box and install smaller switch plates or
do I need to pull new wires, replace the boxes, etc?

I'm thinking that wirenut connections, along with the shared neutral,
would make this really confusing for whoever comes along next and
tries to figure out the wiring for these devices.

Thanks!

Terry January 28th 08 06:05 PM

Rewiring A 3-way Switched Outlet

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:35:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I would take the switches loose and wire nut all 3 wires together in
the box and blank the opening. If you are really worried about the
next guy, just take a piece of masking tape and mark "old 3-way to
receptacle"

Terry January 28th 08 08:35 PM

Rewiring A 3-way Switched Outlet

wrote:

[...]

You should also take note of which wire is connected to the black
terminal of the 3-ways and put a piece of black tape around them.

HeyBub[_2_] January 28th 08 10:57 PM

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Are you SURE both outlets are switched? Sometimes only half of a duplex
outlet is switched for just the reasons you outline.

HeyBub[_2_] January 29th 08 03:22 AM

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you SURE both outlets are switched? Sometimes only half of a
duplex outlet is switched for just the reasons you outline.- Hide
quoted text -

Yes..Both outlets are switched...same as all the other switched
outlets in the house.

But are you sure, pretty sure, or REALLY sure? These things can be
confusing...

Don Young January 29th 08 03:27 AM

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

What the codes will not allow is for you to make any connections
inaccessible. So you cannot cover one section of the box unless you can get
all of the connections into the other sections. Wirenut connections in the
box are allowed. I would leave the inoperable switch as is and return the
wiring to original when moving out.

I suppose you have figured out the cable routing and are sure there is no
permanently hot wire in the receptacle box so you could split the receptacle
and have only one side switched.

Don Young

Don Young

HeyBub[_2_] January 29th 08 05:42 PM

Rewiring A 3-way Switched Outlet

wrote:

geez 3 clear plastic switch locks under 3 bucks held in place with the
existing cover screw, will fix this in minutes, and leave the circuit
in place for the next owner who might like it.........

Duct tape works, too.

[email protected] January 29th 08 06:55 PM

On Jan 29, 12:42�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

geez 3 clear plastic switch locks under 3 bucks held in place with the
existing cover screw, will fix this in minutes, and leave the circuit
in place for the next owner who might like it.........

Duct tape works, too.

yeah but the clear latches are almost as cheap and near invisible

DerbyDad03 January 29th 08 09:15 PM

wrote:

geez 3 clear plastic switch locks under 3 bucks held in place with the
existing cover screw, will fix this in minutes, and leave the circuit
in place for the next owner who might like it.........

Duct tape works, too.

yeah but the clear latches are almost as cheap and near invisible

Thanks...I'll compromise and use this:

http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/transducttape/

[email protected] January 29th 08 10:27 PM

wrote:

geez 3 clear plastic switch locks under 3 bucks held in place with the
existing cover screw, will fix this in minutes, and leave the circuit
in place for the next owner who might like it.........

Duct tape works, too.

yeah but the clear latches are almost as cheap and near invisible

Thanks...I'll compromise and use this:

http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/transducttape/

http://www.amazon.com/National-Mfg-2.../dp/B000HJD9KM

might be a better choice, package of three $2.96

made for the purpose:)