DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   whoosing sound from hot water heater (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/231531-whoosing-sound-hot-water-heater.html)

CCCQUICK January 26th 08 06:27 PM

whoosing sound from hot water heater

I have a gas hot water heater in the garage. It is in good shape and
have drained it last month to ensure it was clean inside and it was.

A few months ago, we started hearing sounds coming from near the hot
water heater while hot and cold water was being used in the house
(sinks, toilets, showers).
The whoosing sound is coming from near the water inlet copper pipe on
top of the heater. This is the cold water inlet with a valve between
the wall and the tank.
I can feel this pipe as it emits this sound which sounds like the
water is squirting through, sort of like chug, chug, chug. When water
is stopped , sound stops.

Lived in the house for 4 years.

This started a few months ago.

Cycling the valve to the closed position on this pipe make the sound
almost go away.

Chuck

[email protected] January 26th 08 07:22 PM

On Jan 26, 1:27�pm, CCCQUICK wrote:
I have a gas hot water heater in the garage. It is in good shape and
have drained it last month to ensure it was clean inside and it was.

A few months ago, we started hearing sounds coming from near the hot
water heater while hot and cold water was being used in the house
(sinks, toilets, showers).
The whoosing sound is coming from near the water inlet copper pipe on
top of the heater. This is the cold water inlet with a valve between
the wall and the tank.
I can feel this pipe as it emits this sound which sounds like the
water is squirting through, sort of like chug, chug, chug. When water
is stopped , sound stops.

Lived in the house for 4 years.

This started a few months ago.

Cycling the valve to the closed position on this pipe make the sound
almost go away.

Chuck

sounds like a noisy heat trap valve

Dr. Hardcrab January 27th 08 03:17 PM

whoosing sound from hot water heater

"CCCQUICK" wrote

I have a gas hot water heater in the garage. It is in good shape and
have drained it last month to ensure it was clean inside and it was.

Just curious:

How do you know it was clean inside? Because nothing came out? Did you look
through the drain? I'm not saying that it's NOT clean, but I just want to
know how you could tell.....