DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   building a new shower pan (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/230920-building-new-shower-pan.html)

Todd January 22nd 08 03:22 AM

building a new shower pan

To All:

I'm going to build a custom shower pan for the purpose of tiling.
I've never done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I'm
doing this right...

I'll be putting this in my basement, on the concrete slab. This
shower is going to replace the fiberglass shower pan that was
destroyed and removed. Most instructions I see for doing this call for
laying down roof paper, or some type of barrier, before putting down
the initial sloping sand mix,. This, i understand is designed to
preven moisture from wicking into the concrete.

If I'm putting sand mix down, and then a 40 MIL CPE liner, and then
thickset, and then the thinset and tile, do I need the roof paper at
the bottom? Or is this for putting a shower on a plywood base?

Any thoughts/suggestions/words of wisdom?

-Thanks in advance,.

Todd

Peter Bogiatzidis January 22nd 08 06:09 AM

building a new shower pan

Todd,

Take a look at the following link
http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

Not quite what you asked for, but it may be of some help. The kit components
are also available separately. Specifically, the waterproofing membrane.

I haven't used this kit myself, but plan to do so when (if?) I ever get
around to adding a new shower to an existing bathroom.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

DerbyDad03 January 22nd 08 03:58 PM

building a new shower pan

"Todd" wrote in message

To All:

I'm going to build a custom shower pan for the purpose of tiling.
I've never done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I'm
doing this right...

I'll be putting this in my basement, on the concrete slab. *This
shower is going to replace the fiberglass shower pan that was
destroyed and removed. Most instructions I see for doing this call for
laying down roof paper, or some type of barrier, before putting down
the initial sloping sand mix,. This, i understand is designed to
preven moisture from wicking into the concrete.

If I'm putting sand mix down, and then a 40 MIL CPE liner, and then
thickset, and then the thinset and tile, do I need the roof paper at
the bottom? Or is this for putting a shower on a plywood base?

Any thoughts/suggestions/words of wisdom?

-Thanks in advance,.

Todd- Hide quoted text -

FWIW...I have seen this type of system used a couple of times on
Holmes on Homes. They seem to love it.

Bob F January 22nd 08 11:19 PM

building a new shower pan

"kzin" wrote in message

On 21-Jan-2008, Todd wrote:

I'm going to build a custom shower pan for the purpose of tiling.
I've never done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I'm
doing this right...

I'm all for DIY myself but from what I've read about this you may want to
think twice.
Everything I've seen indicates this is a job for a pro.

That didn't stop me.

Frank Warner January 23rd 08 11:26 PM

building a new shower pan

In article , Bob F
wrote:

"kzin" wrote in message

On 21-Jan-2008, Todd wrote:

I'm going to build a custom shower pan for the purpose of tiling.
I've never done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I'm
doing this right...

I'm all for DIY myself but from what I've read about this you may want to
think twice.
Everything I've seen indicates this is a job for a pro.

That didn't stop me.

Me, neither.

There are a variety of online sources for DIY shower pans. The folks
over at Taunton Press have one of the better tutorials. It costs you
$20 or so. Money well spent if you want to do it right.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

RicodJour January 24th 08 05:02 AM

building a new shower pan

On Jan 21, 10:22 pm, Todd wrote:
To All:

I'm going to build a custom shower pan for the purpose of tiling.
I've never done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I'm
doing this right...

I'll be putting this in my basement, on the concrete slab. This
shower is going to replace the fiberglass shower pan that was
destroyed and removed. Most instructions I see for doing this call for
laying down roof paper, or some type of barrier, before putting down
the initial sloping sand mix,. This, i understand is designed to
preven moisture from wicking into the concrete.

If I'm putting sand mix down, and then a 40 MIL CPE liner, and then
thickset, and then the thinset and tile, do I need the roof paper at
the bottom? Or is this for putting a shower on a plywood base?

Any thoughts/suggestions/words of wisdom?

Get your hands on Michael Byrne's book, Setting Tile put out by the
Taunton Press (of Fine Homebuilding fame). Your local library
probably has a copy but it's definitely worth owning. You should also
visit the John Bridge tile forums. There are a lot of pros and
skilled amateurs that frequent those forums and are quite helpful and
encouraging.

Todd January 26th 08 02:10 PM

building a new shower pan

Thanks for the advice.

Do you know if it covers building a shower pan on an existing basement
slab? My primary concern is making sure the pan is built correctly for
being placed on a slab. All instructions that I have are for placing
the shower pan on a plywood subfloor.

- Thanks,

Todd