DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Heating vent on suspended ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/230919-heating-vent-suspended-ceiling.html)

John61 January 22nd 08 04:21 AM

Heating vent on suspended ceiling

The ceiling of my basement is now drywall. It's been intentionally broken up
for many times during the 40 years, like running cables and phone lines. I'm
going to change it dropped ceiling. But a headache is how to handle the
heating vents. The rectangle shape metal vents are right at the joists
(vertical position). The new suspended ceiling will be a few inches of
lower. My thought is to bring the vent lower by adding an extension, and
make a rectangle hole on ceiling tile, and place a cover. Hopefully, I can
find the same shape of metal duct as the extension in HomeDepot. Any advice
appreciated.

John

John Grabowski January 22nd 08 02:59 PM

"John61" wrote in message
The ceiling of my basement is now drywall. It's been intentionally broken

up
for many times during the 40 years, like running cables and phone lines.

I'm
going to change it dropped ceiling. But a headache is how to handle the
heating vents. The rectangle shape metal vents are right at the joists
(vertical position). The new suspended ceiling will be a few inches of
lower. My thought is to bring the vent lower by adding an extension, and
make a rectangle hole on ceiling tile, and place a cover. Hopefully, I can
find the same shape of metal duct as the extension in HomeDepot. Any

advice
appreciated.

Forget about Home Depot or any other Home Improvement store for the sheet
metal fittings that you will need. Find a fabricator in your area to make
the pieces. Look in the phone book for sheet metal fabricators, metal
fabricators, or air conditioning installers. Some bigger air conditioning
installers have their own fabrication shop. The prices shouldn't be
outrageous and you will get exactly what you need. I have found that it is
best to have a simple drawing with dimensions to give to the fabricator.