Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birds pecking at roof shingles

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 3:09*pm, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:
* * *I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. *This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract *birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
* * * *Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? * My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. * There MUST be a simpler way!
* * * * *I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What bird or squirrel eats roofs, a strip of copper or zinc at the Top
keeps off mold and im sure animals, what did you have an organic corn
base roof?? Its strange.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What kind of birds?

We go to a restaurant that has outdoor dining. To keep the birds out,
they run nylon fishing line
in a grid pattern across the open side of the deck. Rigging some fish
line, if feasible, would
probably keep them off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What kind of birds?

We go to a restaurant that has outdoor dining. To keep the birds out,
they run nylon fishing line
in a grid pattern across the open side of the deck. Rigging some fish
line, if feasible, would
probably keep them off.

Good idea, but get the heavy stuff, like 50-60 lb test. More visible, less
likely to degrade. He doesn't want to be repeating the chore too often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:21:22 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 20, 3:09*pm, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:
* * *I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. *This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract *birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
* * * *Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? * My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. * There MUST be a simpler way!
* * * * *I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What bird or squirrel eats roofs, a strip of copper or zinc at the Top
keeps off mold and im sure animals, what did you have an organic corn
base roof?? Its strange.

In my years; I've never seen enough grit, eaten by any bird (s) that
might required new shingles. In fact, never saw a bird eat the grit
from a shingle.

OP can set out a feeder for the birds and add grit(S)

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

Do you have a lot of bugs on your roof? I doubt it's the grit they're
after.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

SNIPS

OP can set out a feeder for the birds and add grit(S)

And a cat or two.

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

20 ga. or .410 shotgun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pdk Pdk" wrote in message
I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

Get a FiShock. Wrap spiral bare wires around a 2' piece of 3/4" PVC. Once
they land on it, they will NEVER ever return to your rooftop.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:04:05 -0800, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Oren wrote:
OP can set out a feeder for the birds and add grit(S)

And a cat or two.

My cats are old; now the dog (sight hound) picks up the slack.

I wish he would leave the dove alone...

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:29:06 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What kind of birds?

We go to a restaurant that has outdoor dining. To keep the birds out,
they run nylon fishing line
in a grid pattern across the open side of the deck. Rigging some fish
line, if feasible, would
probably keep them off.

Or at least keep fish off the roof !!!! LOL

That fish line would have to be pretty close together. It only takes
a 1/4" hole to stick a beak thru.

By the way, they make plastic owls to keep birds away. Most garden
shops should have them. I dont know if they really work and for what
kind of birds. Of course a plastic cat with a speaker inside that
meows all day long would work too. You might end up losing your mind
and have your neighbors calling the cops though

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Or at least keep fish off the roof !!!! LOL

That fish line would have to be pretty close together. It only takes
a 1/4" hole to stick a beak thru.

The idea would be to keep them from landing on the roof. The open air
rest. had line spaced about 6" apart,
vert and horiz. Gulls are nasty pests around here and tourists like to
feed them. Wire is another trick used around here
because birds won't land on it.

By the way, they make plastic owls to keep birds away. Most garden
shops should have them. I dont know if they really work and for what
kind of birds. Of course a plastic cat with a speaker inside that
meows all day long would work too. You might end up losing your mind
and have your neighbors calling the cops though

Plastic owls do nothing. Most of the birds around here are street smart
- they show up as
soon as we bait a hook to go fish from our dock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Best response I've had thus far on how to prevent birds from
pecking away and destroying shingles on roof came from a builder who
told me to kill one bird, and throw it onto the roof. "Just let it rot
there," he said, "and the other birds will never come back." Not sure
how the neighbors will feel about a rotting bird displayed on a porch
roof.