Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage door stuck

-------------------------------------

Hi. right now my garage door is stuck in the down postion and i cannot get
it to go into manual mode so i can get my car out. The cable on the left
side cable drum has snapped but the right side is still cable and cable
drum is still intact. I have tired to pull the string to switch it to
manual mode but that does not work. after looking at the garage i noticed
that the one pulley which still has the cable connected to the bottom of
the garage is super tight and that is stopping me from being able to lift
the door up. Any help with this would be amazing as i can not get my car
out.

thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

"vikwani" wrote in message
m...

-------------------------------------

Hi. right now my garage door is stuck in the down postion and i cannot get
it to go into manual mode so i can get my car out. The cable on the left
side cable drum has snapped but the right side is still cable and cable
drum is still intact. I have tired to pull the string to switch it to
manual mode but that does not work. after looking at the garage i noticed
that the one pulley which still has the cable connected to the bottom of
the garage is super tight and that is stopping me from being able to lift
the door up. Any help with this would be amazing as i can not get my car
out.

thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean by "pull the string", I expect you are refering to a
pull pin that disconnects the arm from the door to the opener chain.
It may be that the pressure of the door (one side unsupported) has it wedged
too tightly to release. You may have to try to reduce the weight on the arm
in order to disengage the opener (i.e. pull the string or disconnect the arm
from the door).

And be careful - I had forgotten just how heavy old doors can be when I had
to disconnect my double door from its opener a few years ago! Wowsers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Jan 2008 23:20:17 GMT,
(vikwani) wrote:

-------------------------------------

Hi. right now my garage door is stuck in the down postion and i cannot get
it to go into manual mode so i can get my car out. The cable on the left
side cable drum has snapped but the right side is still cable and cable
drum is still intact. I have tired to pull the string to switch it to
manual mode but that does not work. after looking at the garage i noticed
that the one pulley which still has the cable connected to the bottom of
the garage is super tight and that is stopping me from being able to lift
the door up. Any help with this would be amazing as i can not get my car
out.

thanks in advance

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

This exact same thing happened to me. I tried to get the 2 car door
opened, but it became jammed because of the lack of tension on one
side.
I ended up calling a door company, and the guy had it opened, fixed,
and tuned up in 1.5 hrs, went over everything and checked all bolts,
lag screws, garage door opener, left a can of lube, adjusted the
springs, new cables on both sides, and was under $200.

Sorry, I don't know how he got the door unjammed.
samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair

vikwani had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ck-281947-.htm
:
Thanks for the quick reply. I have disengaged the arm which connects to
the door. so if the door was wedged any recommendations on gettin it loose
because i have tried.
-------------------------------------
vikwani wrote:

-------------------------------------

Hi. right now my garage door is stuck in the down postion and i cannot
get
it to go into manual mode so i can get my car out. The cable on the
left
side cable drum has snapped but the right side is still cable and cable
drum is still intact. I have tired to pull the string to switch it to
manual mode but that does not work. after looking at the garage i
noticed
that the one pulley which still has the cable connected to the bottom
of
the garage is super tight and that is stopping me from being able to
lift
the door up. Any help with this would be amazing as i can not get my
car
out.

thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

vikwani wrote:

-------------------------------------

Hi. right now my garage door is stuck in the down postion and i cannot
get
it to go into manual mode so i can get my car out. The cable on the
left
side cable drum has snapped but the right side is still cable and cable
drum is still intact. I have tired to pull the string to switch it to
manual mode but that does not work. after looking at the garage i
noticed
that the one pulley which still has the cable connected to the bottom
of
the garage is super tight and that is stopping me from being able to
lift
the door up. Any help with this would be amazing as i can not get my
car
out.

thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

vikwani had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ck-281950-.htm
:
Thanks for the reply mamba. right now i have disengaged the arm which goes
from the opener to the actual door. and still cannot lift the door. i
think the door has shifted a bit to the side when the cable broke. other
than pure strength do you recommend anything else for lifting the door. Is
the cable that is still connected to the one pulley on the right hand side
have anything to do with not beening able to lift the door up.

-------------------------------------
Mamba wrote:

"vikwani" wrote
in message
m...

-------------------------------------

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

vikwani had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ck-281952-.htm
:

Hey samurai thanks for the reply. now would i be able the re coil the
pulley that was broken in the down postion or does this have to be done in
the up postion. i have called a repair guy but i live in a small city and
but unable to come out for 3 days and i need to get my car out. any hellp
would be greatly appericated. i am pretty much willing to do anything to
get the car out as i need it for everyday life
-------------------------------------
samurai wrote:

On 16 Jan 2008 23:20:17 GMT,
(vikwani) wrote:

-------------------------------------

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You've not told anyone how wide this door is or what it is made
of.

The cable that is tight is trying to help you raise the door. The
door probably weighs much more than you think. A normal double
wide door will weigh somewhere around 250 lbs. One spring is not
helping, so you are lifting about 125 lbs. from a very awkward
angle if you have the operator disconnected. If you did start to
get the door up, you need to be prepared to block it or pin it or
it will come back down to get you.

Hire a door company if you know nothing about them.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"vikwani" wrote in message
m...

-------------------------------------

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have or can borrow an automobile scissor jack.use that and a piece
of 2x4 to support the side that is low.
Then keep raising the door so you can get the car out. Then reverse
directions an slowly lower the door so it can be fixed.

Charlie

"vikwani" wrote in message
m...

-------------------------------------

Hi. right now my garage door is stuck in the down postion and i cannot get
it to go into manual mode so i can get my car out. The cable on the left
side cable drum has snapped but the right side is still cable and cable
drum is still intact. I have tired to pull the string to switch it to
manual mode but that does not work. after looking at the garage i noticed
that the one pulley which still has the cable connected to the bottom of
the garage is super tight and that is stopping me from being able to lift
the door up. Any help with this would be amazing as i can not get my car
out.

thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

vikwani wrote:
vikwani had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ck-281950-.htm

Thanks for the reply mamba. right now i have disengaged the arm which
goes from the opener to the actual door. and still cannot lift the
door. i think the door has shifted a bit to the side when the cable
broke. other than pure strength do you recommend anything else for
lifting the door. Is the cable that is still connected to the one
pulley on the right hand side have anything to do with not beening
able to lift the door up.

Attached cable? No. It actually helps. However it may be pulling up one side
and jamming the other because the door is crooked.

Put a lever under the detached side and see if you can get the door to
budge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Jan 2008 00:03:09 GMT,
(vikwani) wrote:

vikwani had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ck-281952-.htm
:

Hey samurai thanks for the reply. now would i be able the re coil the
pulley that was broken in the down postion or does this have to be done in
the up postion. i have called a repair guy but i live in a small city and
but unable to come out for 3 days and i need to get my car out. any hellp
would be greatly appericated. i am pretty much willing to do anything to
get the car out as i need it for everyday life
-------------------------------------

Rent or borrow a car? Walk, taxi, bus?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 5:56*am, oo Mike oo wrote:
On 17 Jan 2008 00:03:09 GMT,

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...oor-stuck-2819...
:

Hey samurai thanks for the reply. now would i be able the re coil the
pulley that was broken in the down postion or does this have to be done in
the up postion. i have called a repair guy but i live in a small city and
but unable to come out for 3 days and i need to get my car out. any hellp
would be greatly appericated. i am pretty much willing to do anything to
get the car out as i need it for everyday life

Rent or borrow a car? Walk, taxi, bus?

Either way you slice it, you will need to deal with your torsion
springs. You will need to secure them and replace your cable or you
may have a busted torsion spring. Check out the videos on my site at
to understand the torsion system:
http://all-servicegaragedoors.com/Dangers.shtml

electric garage door stuck on manual...... lark265 Home Repair 5 November 27th 06 07:37 PM
Stuck Door Bouffont UK diy 20 April 28th 06 06:24 PM
Garage Door stuck in the open position-help! Sam Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 08:42 PM