DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need help with a heavy punching bag mount "hack" (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/230169-need-help-heavy-punching-bag-mount-hack.html)

[email protected] January 16th 08 10:26 PM

Need help with a heavy punching bag mount "hack"

Hi,
Im working on a special rig to mount my heavy bag in my garage.
Basically I have a long metal bar and I need to mount it up close to
the ceiling, there are no nearby walls so it will be mounted to beams
(the goal is heavy bag will be able to roll back and forth on the
bar). I have the metal bar but Im trying to improvise an off-the-shelf
piece of hardware that will hold it on both sides (and can support the
weight of the bag as well). So im looking for two strong "brackets"
that will be screwed into the ceiling (into studs) and can hold the
bar from either side. Any idas?

Oren[_2_] January 17th 08 12:01 AM

Need help with a heavy punching bag mount "hack"

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:26:51 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi,
Im working on a special rig to mount my heavy bag in my garage.
Basically I have a long metal bar and I need to mount it up close to
the ceiling, there are no nearby walls so it will be mounted to beams
(the goal is heavy bag will be able to roll back and forth on the
bar). I have the metal bar but Im trying to improvise an off-the-shelf
piece of hardware that will hold it on both sides (and can support the
weight of the bag as well). So im looking for two strong "brackets"
that will be screwed into the ceiling (into studs) and can hold the
bar from either side. Any idas?

Sketch it out and speak with a welding shop...they can build it.
Explain how you intend to mount it. That's all Grasshopper!

Oren

Mike Paulsen January 17th 08 07:52 AM

wrote:
Hi,
Im working on a special rig to mount my heavy bag in my garage.
Basically I have a long metal bar and I need to mount it up close to
the ceiling, there are no nearby walls so it will be mounted to beams
(the goal is heavy bag will be able to roll back and forth on the
bar). I have the metal bar but Im trying to improvise an off-the-shelf
piece of hardware that will hold it on both sides (and can support the
weight of the bag as well). So im looking for two strong "brackets"
that will be screwed into the ceiling (into studs) and can hold the
bar from either side. Any idas?

I'd consider running 2x6 (or 2x8) up into the attic space. You could
then screw or bolt the the 2x6 to the rafter in the attic, which would
most likely be preferable to relying on screws run up into the bottom of
the rafter.

Depending on which way you want the bar to run in relation to the
rafters, you could either bore holes in the 2x6 to accept the ends of
the metal bar or use brackets, heavy duty pipe strapping, or similar
hardware to mount the bar to the face of the 2x6.

[email protected] January 19th 08 11:58 AM

wrote:

Hi,
Im working on a special rig to mount my heavy bag in my garage.
Basically I have a long metal bar and I need to mount it up close to
the ceiling, there are no nearby walls so it will be mounted to beams
(the goal is heavy bag will be able to roll back and forth on the
bar). I have the metal bar but Im trying to improvise an off-the-shelf
piece of hardware that will hold it on both sides (and can support the
weight of the bag as well). So im looking for two strong "brackets"
that will be screwed into the ceiling (into studs) and can hold the
bar from either side. Any idas?

So in other words you want to hang your BOSS !!!!! :)