DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old GE Washing Machine Squeals, Need help (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/229991-old-ge-washing-machine-squeals-need-help.html)

alkon[_2_] January 15th 08 04:05 PM

Old GE Washing Machine Squeals, Need help

I have an old (about 20 years old) GE washing machine. It is a 2
speed automatic washer. Recently, it has begun to squeal on the spin
cycle. I am a very handy guy (e.g., work on cars and home repairs)
and would like to give a shot at fixing it. I am unfamiliar with the
way washing machines work, so I need a little guidance. Thanks.

Jeff Wisnia January 15th 08 05:58 PM

alkon wrote:
I have an old (about 20 years old) GE washing machine. It is a 2
speed automatic washer. Recently, it has begun to squeal on the spin
cycle. I am a very handy guy (e.g., work on cars and home repairs)
and would like to give a shot at fixing it. I am unfamiliar with the
way washing machines work, so I need a little guidance. Thanks.

I suggest you start with this website:

http://www.repairclinic.com/

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

dpb January 15th 08 08:36 PM

alkon wrote:
I have an old (about 20 years old) GE washing machine. It is a 2
speed automatic washer. Recently, it has begun to squeal on the spin
cycle. I am a very handy guy (e.g., work on cars and home repairs)
and would like to give a shot at fixing it. I am unfamiliar with the
way washing machines work, so I need a little guidance. Thanks.

Depending on the type of "squeal" and if it isn't making unusual noise
on was cycle, might be as simple as the belt giving out and slipping,
particularly if it's never been replaced.